Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Newspaper seeking LTCF carriers

The Bucks County Courier-Times is advertising on the front page for "an upcoming story on guns and gun laws in today's society". The paper's online version doesn't seem to be showing this advertisement so I'm posting the info here.

Ben Finley, 215-949-4203

bfinley@phillyBurbs.com

Even in just the paragraph printed I've found one mistake, albeit a small one, but it's indicative of the lack of knowledge we as owners need to correct. He asks for people with a "permit". I for one perfer to be recognized as being licensed rather than permitted, though I'd much rather prefer to need nothing more than citizenship to use my right.

I see in this our chance to educate the general population about gunownership and those who own them, carry them and understand the meaning of the right to keep and bear. Hopefully we can present the reporter with a knowlegable section of our community that will cause him to write an article positive to our right and our sports.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Newspaper seeking LTCF carriers

Being discussed here:

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...un-page-2.html

and my reply to MR Finley here:

Hello Mr. Finley,

I was recently informed of your interest in the subject of individuals who carry firearms. Allow me to share my perspective.

Three years ago I moved to PA. Previously, I lived in the State of Washington for 21 years where I raised my family. In Washington I possessed a Concealed Carry Pistol permit. That state's permit authorizes the holder to carry only a pistol. It specifically does not allow concealed carry of a knife.

The Constitution for the State of Washington states at Article I, SECTION 24 RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.

It was always puzzling to me that the state's constitution specifically recognized the right of the individual to bear arms yet the legislature mandated a permit to do so. Isn't it odd that a right can be regulated for a fee? Would you consider that an impairment?

Another curious aspect of that state's constitution was the specific mandate that
    "but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men." Isn't a city, indeed, a state a corporate entity? How is it that such a corporate body may maintain an armed body of men in the form of municipal and state police?

I complied with the statutes and paid the required fee to acquire a CCP (concealed carry pistol) permit to avoid any complications with the armed body of men.

Now, I live in PA and the Constitution for the Commonwealth states that; Inherent Rights of Mankind Section 1.
    All men are born equally free and independent, and have certain inherent and indefeasible rights, among which are those of enjoying and defending life and liberty, of acquiring, possessing and protecting property and reputation, and of pursuing their own happiness.

Furthermore;

Right to Bear Arms Section 21
    The right of the citizen to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

This seems rather straight forward and easy to understand. Why is it that the legislature has enacted a law requiring citizens to pay a fee and answer questions before being legally allowed to carry a concealed firearm on their person or in the vehicle? In fact, when I moved here I attempted to comply with the licensing process but was asked a series of even more intrusive questions than the legislature had established under the statute. The sheriff of Monroe County wanted much more information than I was comfortable divulging. His deputy in charge of gun licenses refused to accept my application 4 times because I would not answer certain questions. I eventually contacted the sheriff directly, and the state representative for this district for a discussion about my background, credentials and experience. I have no criminal record. I have over 120 hours of training certification in the use of firearms for self defense. I have carried a handgun concealed for over 20 years and have been involved in shooting activities for much longer than that. The sheriff eventually accepted my application without me answering all the additional questions. The county issued my license to carry firearms after 40 days.

I can tell you that there is a growing movement across America to assert individual liberty and the right to carry a gun is an integral part of that movement. It is an odd fact that in a nation that was born out of the assertion of inalienable rights and among them the right to keep and bear arms, we who carry firearms for self defense have become a despised minority in our own homeland. Why is that I wonder?

As a member of the press I wonder how you might feel if government mandated you to acquire a license to publish your thoughts and ideas. This is not meant to be an attack on you personally but we in the gun community have watched as our rights have been restricted and infringed and the press has cheered the government on with glee.

I look forward to reading what conclusions you draw from this exercise. I encourage you to be open minded. Gun owners are not the enemy of the American people. I do wonder about the motivations of a government who would seek to infringe a long held basic human right.

Respectfully submitted,

XXXXX XXXXX (name redacted for privacy)

P.S. I will be posting this on the state's premier gun forum PAFOA.ORG

Default Re: Newspaper seeking LTCF carriers

Well written letter Twoguns. I also sent an email to Mr. Finley.

Mods, please feel free to close this thread in favor of the earlier posting.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.