Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default State Game Land Ranges

Heard for a friend today that his boy received a written warning for using the SGLR for target shooting. The range said he had to have a hunting license or a permit to use the range. When did this come about? I thought the public could use these ranges without needing any kind of permission.
    Regards Robert
    Smile... it increases your face value!
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not. ~Thomas Jefferson

(Chester County)

Default Re: State Game Land Ranges

Which SGL range was it? French Creek?

(Montgomery County)

You need a current Hunting License or a Range Use License. You can order either of them at the Game Comission website.

(Chester County)

Thanks Bybloshex. Here's the Link: http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=937842&mode=2

(Dauphin County)

Well, this came about from some actions last year.

I do contract work for some of the local government offices and police departments around Carlisle and I remember what happened last year quite well.

In North Middleton Township, north of Carlisle in Cumberland county, there is a state game land with a shooting range out on Spring Road (Route 34). There was a homicide there on the shooting range where an armed individual hid in the woods nearby and shot/killed someone else who was using the range. Simply because they really weren't managing the ranges or rules unless there was complaints, it let this type of action happen. Shortly after, the reactionary politicians (with the help of the game commission) enacted legislation to require hunting licenses or a specific shooting permit in order to use the ranges and up the enforcement at each one.

Basically, I see it all as B.S. but it was an action-reaction thing that happened in a really quiet area and outraged a bunch of anti-gun media. The story with the shooter ended up being some kind of crap of anti-government propaganda and starting a small army and having all kinds of illegal firearms.... It was another anti-gun carnival.

(Somerset County)

No,, it came about because the range repairs got a lot more expensive and the PGC thought the non hunters using the ranges should share in the cost of upkeep just like the hunters who have been footing the bill for years. Also, they just spent a ton of money upgrading/renovating most of the ranges. No sense in fixing something then not taking care of it because of lack of funds.

Dig around here, there's been some threads with video and pictures of the damage to the ranges.

April 1 was the day a permit or hunting license became required. This year's permit will run until June 30, 2012 so that it is on the same cycle as hunting licenses.

Dale

(Chester County)

Thnx everyone. I was not aware of this change.
    Regards Robert
    Smile... it increases your face value!
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not. ~Thomas Jefferson

(Philadelphia County)

I was out on sgl 106 the pine swamp road range yesterday afternoon. the the plain clothes ranger guy there was a real prick my and my buds were the only ones there and we all had our licenses out and with us . He walks up as we start setting up and i say hello to him and he just stared at us leaned against a fence . Once we started shooting following all the rules this guy starts going through some trash that was piled up in front of the range rules sign . then he says You Guys see THIS!!! we turned and looked . he was holding a receipt of some kind . He says This guy is gaetting a ticket !! we looked at eachother and continued our business . he then proceeds to interupt us once again and says do i need to write another citation . I looked at him and said "for what? " he says you are supposed to clean up all of your spent casings . I said with all due respect get the &*%$ away from us . if you see us break any rules by all means come cite us but until that happens you and i have nothing to talk about. he looks at me turns and walks back to his truck . i tried to be polite and nice to this guy. but he wanted to be an ass so we finished and cleaned up and left.

(York County)

well it looks like I will just have to start going to in door ranges from now on. If I am going to have to pay to shoot I might as well beable to do it indoors out of the heat and humidity and bugs.
    Xbox Live Gamertag: My Tango Sucka

(Philadelphia County)

20 a year still beats 20 dollars a visit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast