Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Hunting in State parks

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...k.aspx#hunting

Hunting and Firearms: About 900 acres are open to hunting, trapping and the training of dogs during established seasons. Common game species are rabbit, squirrel, pheasant, waterfowl and deer.

Hunting woodchucks, also known as groundhogs, is prohibited. Dog training is only permitted from the day following Labor Day through March 31 in designated hunting areas. The Department of Conservation and Natural Resources and the Pennsylvania Game Commission rules and regulations apply. Contact the park office for ADA accessible hunting information.

Use extreme caution with firearms at all times. Other visitors use the park during hunting seasons. Firearms and archery equipment used for hunting may be uncased and ready for use only in authorized hunting areas during hunting seasons. In areas not open to hunting or during non-hunting seasons, firearms and archery equipment shall be kept in the owner's car, trailer or leased campsite. The only exception is that law enforcement officers and individuals with a valid Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms may carry said firearm concealed on their person while they are within the park.
    How can a state park decide what species are to be hunted?
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Hunting in State parks

I've been going over this myself for the past few days on trying to figure out where to hunt some chucks. Best ive found so far is the farm-game co-ops. Going to go check a few out today. It's a bit of a drive to get there but hopefully the farmers will let me get my trigger time on their land if I'm nice about it.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post

The same way a land owner decides what can be hunted on their property.

You'll also notice not all state parks have the same rules regarding hunting. French Creek State Park doesn't allow you to hunt geese/ducks on their lakes. They have signs up all over during the seasons. Ridley Creek state park is Archery only and only for Deer.

SGL 43 an SGL 234 are close by. Chester Co. also has property open to hunting along the schuylkill river.

(Montgomery County)

The same way anyone else sets rules for their property.
    Because the park decides the rules for it's park.

(Jefferson County)

State parks, via the DCNR's lawful authority to regulate their parks, has the authority to prohibit groundhog hunting. The PA Game Commission also supports the ban on groundhog hunting in state parks.

One reason why groundhog hunting is prohibited is because whistlepigs are typically found around clearings and open areas that lack tree cover. Those areas in state parks are pretty much reserved for and used by park visitors - which creates a safety issue.

The ban on groundhog hunting in states parks has been around as far back as I can remember. If the PA GC had issues with it they would have took up issue with the DCNR about it already.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by rovert97 View Post
    I've been going over this myself for the past few days on trying to figure out where to hunt some chucks. Best ive found so far is the farm-game co-ops. Going to go check a few out today. It's a bit of a drive to get there but hopefully the farmers will let me get my trigger time on their land if I'm nice about it.
    I have seen PA Game Commission maps showing the general location of these co-op areas, but how do you drill down on the actual parcel of land, and get permission to hunt them... Do you drive around looking for co-op signs in the general mapped area, find them, then see if they have contact info (address/phone number) to use to gain permission? I'd like to try this co-op program for potential Dove hunting, but whistle pig hunting via this route sounds great too!

(Monroe County)

Best I can tell that's what you do. Find the area, locate it on google maps. Makes it easier to see the satelite view. And drive around the area and locate the signs. Then approach the landowner and ask for info and permission.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    The same way anyone else sets rules for their property.
    Because the park decides the rules for it's park.
    I understand 100% about private land owners regulating the use of their property.

State parks are not owned by anyone in particular, I believe they are quasi-owned by the citizens of the state.

Using your logic the state park can set the rules for firearms possession which we all know to be BS because of Section 6120 of the UFA.
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Montgomery County)

I understand 100% about private land owners regulating the use of their property.

State parks are not owned by anyone in particular, I believe they are quasi-owned by the citizens of the state.

Using your logic the state park can set the rules for firearms possession which we all know to be BS because of Section 6120 of the UFA.
    Clearly you've failed to understand my logic. The park is controlled and regulated by elected officials who are elected by the people to represent the people. Welcome to a democratic republic. You also need to reread 6120 which does not restrict commonwealth agencies from regulating the possession of firearms. Before the passing of HB40 they could and they did, as a matter of fact.

The DCNR is not a local municipality but is in fact an agency of the commonwealth of Pennsylvania. HB40 however, added language to 6120 which also made it illegal for any commonwealth agency, including the DCNR to regulate the ownership or possession of firearms.

Even with your misinterpretation of my logic, it still stands.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    Clearly you've failed to understand my logic. The park is controlled and regulated by elected officials who are elected by the people to represent the people. Welcome to a democratic republic. You also need to reread 6120 which does not restrict commonwealth agencies from regulating the possession of firearms. Before the passing of HB40 they could and they did, as a matter of fact.

The DCNR is not a local municipality but is in fact an agency of the commonwealth of Pennsylvania. HB40 however, added language to 6120 which also made it illegal for any commonwealth agency, including the DCNR to regulate the ownership or possession of firearms.

Even with your misinterpretation of my logic, it still stands.
    Right. The DNCR is a state agency and has been authorized by the General Assembly to regulate it's own lands. Since it isn't a municipality 6120 has no bearing.

Until the Castle Doctrine kicks in, possession and carry can be regulated by the DCNR. A couple years ago a law was passed making it legal to carry in state parks if you are licensed. However it didn't remove the DCNR's ability to regulate carrying - so a person has to conceal, which requires a LTCF.

After the new Castle Doctrine kicks in it will strip the DNCR of it's possession and carry abilities to regulate. But hunting and discharging of firearms can still be regulated.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast