Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Question for 1911 Enthusiasts

For under 500 the Rock is a solid reliable gun. Great entry level 1911. And I'll tell ya, I went head to head against some guy at the range last weekend who had a brand new colt. I ran circles around him for an hour with my Rock
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(York County)

If bills get in your way, and you need to reduce your spending limit- there are good options still available. For around the 500 mark you have -Rock Island Armory, Citadel, American Tactical Imports, and new to the scene : Regent

http://regentarms.com/products/

Very nice 1911 for around 450- made in turkey- excellent fit and finish with a stainless combat model coming in the fall. I looked at one of these at a local shop and I was very impressed. No rattles, excellent fitment, clean trigger- worth looking at.

(Philadelphia County)

Could go with a SA Loaded or Mil Spec, Para makes some nice models but I'm not very familiar with them. Ruger's new 1911 as well as the Remington R1 are in that range. As far as used go, you could find a Colt, Kimber, S&W and higher end SA in that range if you look hard enough. I would avoid the lower end companies like Taurus, RIA, Charles Daly, etc. Not that there's anything wrong with them, they're decent guns in the price range, but IMHO when it comes to 1911's, the extra money can truly be worth it... Good luck!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chvyrs90 View Post
    I think I may have to hold off on my 1911 puchase, damn bills But keep the ideas coming. I think I may go with the RIA for a starter. I haven't heard any negatives on here so far to dissuade me otherwise.
    Dont get a starter that you pay $500 for and cant get $350 for it 1 month later.
    Get a slightly used Colt 1911 and do it right the first time.
    I have owned or shot most 1911s and at this time the only 1911s in the safe are Colts.
    Friends of mine do keep others and like them plenty fine, No issues, I just prefer the Colt and I think that when you are ready to buy one, Since you are in the Phila area you have plenty of good shops nearby, Take a good drive.
    go to.
    Surplus city then G&G, Then Abington gun shop, then Claytons, Continue to Tanners and then stop in Quinbys,,
    Then go back to the one that had the best one and make them a cash offer, Out the door,,
    This run should take you 2 hours if you know what you are looking at.....
    ENjoy the day!

I have or have had Colts, Citadel, Springfield, Taurus, and S&W 1911's in 9MM, .38 Super and .45 ACP. All have worked fine, did what I wanted them to do. I'm looking at a Rock Island in .38 Super because of their rep. I can say don't get a Charles Daly because any I have shot or held have been a POS. I will own a Ruger 1911 someday just because it's a Ruger and I've been shooting Rugers for over 50 years and never had a bad one.

For 20 years in the Navy I shot all kinds of 1911. Some good, some not so great. But the 1911 always shot and hit what I aimed at. Not pin point, but center mass. Get a 1911, even a used one.

I just bought a 1911 from centerfire systems.com and I got a Rock Island Tactical for $430 and thats including the FFL transfer and they have free shipping.

If you look at my thread I sung high praises for it despite having a hick up with the magazine but the 1911 itself is absolutely amazing so far. My very first magazine out of it was at 20yrds (or a tad more) and they could all fit on a credit card. I have probably shot only about 600 rounds in my life bc i have only been shooting for about half a year but that thing drives tacks and feels wonderful in the hands with a hogue grip.

(Chester County)

Id get a SA GI no frills model I heard RIA are pretty good but if you spend an other hundred or so you can get a colt commander which is probably the best deal As far as Remington or Ruger I have no experience with them and are still too new for me to trust them. There are too many 1911 out there some are good some are crap go with trusted names like SA or colt

Quote Originally Posted by pred View Post
    Dont get a starter that you pay $500 for and cant get $350 for it 1 month later.
    Get a slightly used Colt 1911 and do it right the first time.
    I have owned or shot most 1911s and at this time the only 1911s in the safe are Colts.
    Friends of mine do keep others and like them plenty fine, No issues, I just prefer the Colt and I think that when you are ready to buy one, Since you are in the Phila area you have plenty of good shops nearby, Take a good drive.
    go to.
    Surplus city then G&G, Then Abington gun shop, then Claytons, Continue to Tanners and then stop in Quinbys,,
    Then go back to the one that had the best one and make them a cash offer, Out the door,,
    This run should take you 2 hours if you know what you are looking at.....
    ENjoy the day!
    You read my mind, even down to starting at Surplus City. The thing about buying a used Colt is you can always turn around and sell it without a loss. I like STI and I think they're very underrated however the Colt pistol is a legacy in itself. That said, I would suggest the OP spend some time reading up on 1911s so he knows what to look for in a used pistol.
    Last edited by JP8; July 18th, 2011 at 03:59 PM.

(Beaver County)

Here you go: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=241583646

Thank me later. In case that's gone when you go looking... here's what you missed!

It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

(Centre County)

cant go wrong with RIA. I have tactical, and its a solid gun for <$500.

Otherwise, look for slightly used Loaded?
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast