Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Airsoft (bb) Gun Allowed in Upper Merion?

I have a serious groundhog problem in my garden. All humane methods (including chicken wire) have failed, 3 crops and 2 planters have been obliterated.

I want to buy a BB gun to end the problem once and for all, but I'm not sure if Upper Merion township allows it. I know that Radnor township has a complete ban on them.

Default Re: Airsoft (bb) Gun Allowed in Upper Merion?

I'm sure there's no township law on using one in your yard but to shoot a animal ? now your involving the game commission. supposedly they don't need warrants.
    FJB

(Montgomery County)

I also wanted to know the Hatboro local ordinances and I even sent an email to Hatboro Town hall asking for them or at least a place to find them and they never emailed me back. :/

(Montgomery County)

I ended up call in the township police dept. directly. They told me that owning and carrying a BB gun in Upper Merion Township is 100% legal. But firing any "projectile" weapon in a residential area was strictly prohibited. The only place in the area where it is legal to fire a BB bun is on a firing range. The fine for disobeying the township ordinance is $1000.00

I was also warned that killing animals anywhere in PA requires a hunting license.
    Last edited by alwaysunny; July 13th, 2011 at 09:04 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysunny View Post
    I ended up call in the township police dept. directly. They told me that owning and carrying a BB gun in Upper Merion Township is 100% legal. But firing any "projectile" weapon in a residential area was strictly prohibited. The only place in the area where it is legal to fire a BB bun is on a firing range.

I was also warned that killing animals anywhere in PA requires a hunting license.
    Strictly prohibited by what? Did they offer any citation of law?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    Strictly prohibited by what? Did they offer any citation of law?
    Honestly, I didn't ask about a specific code. But he was very clear in telling me that I was not allowed to fire a projectile weapon on my property.

(Montgomery County)

Honestly, I didn't ask about a specific code. But he was very clear in telling me that I was not allowed to fire a projectile weapon on my property.
    Police have been very clear in telling a lie before. So, it wouldn't be the first time. AFAIK. In Pa, people kill rodents on their property without hunting licenses all of the time.

(Montgomery County)

Time to sell the marshmallow gun.
    The 2A does not GIVE us the right. It tells the gov they can not INFRINGE our right.

(Montgomery County)

Clearly marshmallow guns and killing rodents are not what the officer meant. It's the officer's job to tell me what the rules are if I ask. Whether or not they respond to my actions depends entirely on if they care to act on them or if my neighbor cares enough to contact the police to intervene.

(Beaver County)

It's the officer's job to tell me what the rules are if I ask.
    So... not really. If you want to know your local laws you need to read the statutes. Lots of them. Think Township or County seat for this kind of info, if you can't find it online. Police are tasked with enforcing the law. You'd think that implies a certain amount of "knowing the laws" but that is terribly hit and miss (see thousands of posts here and other places).

If a cop told me he'd be fining me $1000 for shooting a BB gun on my property, I'd have a hard time not mouthing off about the likelyhood of him proving such a ridiculous violation. Because it isn't like they are going to stake out your lawn waiting for you to fire a BB gun. If you have nosy neighbors... different story.

That said, you don't want to shoot a groundhog with a BB gun anyway, let alone some bullshit airsoft gun. Groundhogs will shrug off a poorly placed 22lr, flip you off and go heal, or worse die under your porch (UGH). Look into a trap. Live trapping is permitted everywhere, even hippy towns. One you trap them, use your imagination on what to do with them.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast