Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default New LTCF holder looking at CC options

So, I finally made it down to the courthouse and got my license to carry from the Sheriff's office. Easy as cake process. It actually took longer to get our marriage license than it did to get the LTCF...

Anyways, I currently own a Smith & Wesson SW9VE (Sigma for those unfarmiliar) and I am looking to carry it as needed. I am currently not planning on carrying 24/7, but that could change as time goes on and I get more comfortable with things. Essentially, with the size of the gun at hand, ankle carrying is pretty much out as is pocket carrying since the butt of the handle ever so slightly sticks out of my pocket.

I was experimenting with a $10 Uncle Mike's cheap IWB holster earlier this evening and there was a few spots that it felt right, but it is becoming difficult to find a way to carry it without having trouble sitting or having it bluntly stick out under my shirt. Normally I dress in business "casual" attire (slacks or jeans and a tucked button down shirt) and it seems that carrying with a shirt tucked in is difficult to do. There might be a few holsters that work for that and this is where I need help. I was also looking at vertical shoulder harnesses as they seem to be something that will fit as well.

I pretty much need help determining what I can and can't do with my gun. It's obviously not the most compact and I would love to OC with it, but that just really isn't my style. For right now, I have just been keeping it in my laptop bag that goes with me at all times.

(York County)

Default Re: New LTCF holder looking at CC options

I had a sigma. Never concealed it. I had a crossbreed. Many like it but I hated it. But then again I hate ccing. Only cc with my keltec PF9. Every other gun I have I oced. I personally think shoulder rigs look cool in a miami vice kinda way. But not practical for defense. If you are really wanting to cc maybe look for a different gun.

IMHO, holsters are one of the many things where you get what you pay for. If I may be so bold, I would recommend a leather IWB holster for durability. If you want to carry outside your pants, my favorite was always the paddle style. I'm quite fond of Bianchi's Paddle-Lok.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by hawkdoc60 View Post
    IMHO, holsters are one of the many things where you get what you pay for. If I may be so bold, I would recommend a leather IWB holster for durability. If you want to carry outside your pants, my favorite was always the paddle style. I'm quite fond of Bianchi's Paddle-Lok.
    So far a good start in the right direction. With test fitting the cheap-o, it just feels very uncomfortable. Some positions were not bad, but could be better. I also would like to get a better idea of what are generally accepted practices. There seems to be a lot of information here, but I can sort it all out.

I used to have a Sigma 40 (SW40VE) and used a Fobus Paddle Holster while OCing. I never CCed with it. Crossbreed holsters are "tuckable". Meaning, you can tuck in your shirt while wearing the holster and firearms allowing you to still CC. If that's hard to do, look for a smaller firearm to carry. There are plenty choices out there.

(Bucks County)

First of all I would advise against off-person carry (ie. in a briefcase). You cannot retain control of the firearm that way unless the briefcase is handcuffed to your wrist.

Also, stay away from the cheapo Uncle Mikes Sidekick holsters. They work great for about a week, but wear out really fast and become DANGEROUS before you realize. They get loose and allow the firearm to move around, and possibly fall out.

For IWB I would recommend this:

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95

It is a tuckable holster and works GREAT. I've had mine since Christmas last year and love it. Make sure you put lok-tite on the screws because they will back out over time.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by iMoses14 View Post
    I used to have a Sigma 40 (SW40VE) and used a Fobus Paddle Holster while OCing. I never CCed with it. Crossbreed holsters are "tuckable". Meaning, you can tuck in your shirt while wearing the holster and firearms allowing you to still CC. If that's hard to do, look for a smaller firearm to carry. There are plenty choices out there.
    Interesting.

Sigma 40 and 9 are basically identical all around minus the mag and the barrel, so I'm sure it's doable. I have seen a number of people post up about CC'ing them, but no real good specifics.

I will have to look in to these Crossbreed SuperTucks. Sounds like they are pretty close the what I am looking for, but it sounds like I might want to consider having a dedicated CC firearm. I am not ruling anything out right now though.

Quote Originally Posted by daustin View Post
    Interesting.

Sigma 40 and 9 are basically identical all around minus the mag and the barrel, so I'm sure it's doable. I have seen a number of people post up about CC'ing them, but no real good specifics.

I will have to look in to these Crossbreed SuperTucks. Sounds like they are pretty close the what I am looking for, but it sounds like I might want to consider having a dedicated CC firearm. I am not ruling anything out right now though.
    Crossbreed holsters cost a pretty penny. Consider all options (dedicated CC firearm) before you spend $70 on a Crossbreed if you're not gonna use it. Other popular firearms (Glock 26/27, M&P9c/40c, XD9sc/40sc, etc.) are gonna have better options of IWB holsters. Look into them and consider it. Then abuse your Sigma 9 as your range gun for practice.

(Lancaster County)

Please stay away from cheap holsters. While they may feel ok to wear it, when it comes time to draw it, you may just draw the holder with the gun. Make sure whatever you get is held firmly onto your belt and pants and doesn't come up a lot when you draw.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Please stay away from cheap holsters. While they may feel ok to wear it, when it comes time to draw it, you may just draw the holder with the gun. Make sure whatever you get is held firmly onto your belt and pants and doesn't come up a lot when you draw.
    I thought Uncle Mike's holsters are the best though?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast