Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus warranty

(Dauphin County)

Default Taurus warranty

Well after 26 years my Taurus 92 AF failed at the range. The little butterfly piece attached to the underside of the barrel that locks the slide broke. The right wing portion broke off and was out of alignment with the rest of the mechanism. With the part broken the extra piece of metal out of place the slide would not open. After getting the broken piece out of the slide I was able to clear and disassemble the pistol.

I sent the pistol back to Taurus in FL on June 26. I had not sent a firearm via UPS since I let my FFL lapse 20 years ago and was not too happy to find out that current regulations required that I send it overnight ($60).

Anyway Taurus received it the next day, sent me an email confirmation followed by a written letter stating that processing would take about 2 weeks.

Taurus paid the return shipping and Fedex delivered my PT 92 back to me this morning July 9.

I was very happy with the Taurus service and process/procedure they used for the warranty return.
    NRA Life Member. OC is comfy!

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Taurus warranty

Glad to hear your good experience! I've owned 5 Taurus guns and have never experienced a malfunction. (aside from my 1911 being picky as far as HP ammo) If I ever do have a problem, I hope it's dealt with as professionally as your was.

(Lehigh County)

Though I'd share my Taurus warranty too(back in 09), after 8 year and it's well over 20K+ rounds thru my little pt138, it's finally broke but stills functioning, just didn't keeps the slide open when empty, the slide stop lever broken off. I took it back to the place I bought my Taurus (store warranty's policy) and they send it to Taurus on their dime, took little over two weeks, got it back and got a new lever and a new barrel installed with a note stated that barrel shows some wear on it and it's replaced with new one, I didn't know how was the process between my dealer and Taurus but I'm happy with the result.

(Susquehanna County)

Thumbs up Re: Taurus warranty

I have worn out 2 Taurus PT99s over the years, both at right around 50-60 thousand rounds. Both had the same problem: The front frame rails (the 4 little spots in front that the slide rides on) shear off at an angle. The gun is still usable, but, with the Taurus lifetime warranty, better to get it replaced... I sent both back, and in both cases received a new gun, through my FFL. Both times took around 4 weeks. Taurus doesn't return emails, and you can't get much service over the phone, but they honor their warranty! BTW, the warranty is on the gun, not the purchaser! Meaning, the used Taurus you buy still carries a lifetime warranty! Pretty sweet.

My experience with having to use the Taurus warranty was not as convenient but it was honored. I experienced the infamous broken ambi-safety issue on my PT1911 after
    two years. I followed the proper channels, backed everything up with confirmation phone
    calls to be sure I was doing things properly and sent the safety back to Taurus with my gun info and a detailed description of my problem and what happened.

To make a long story short, I will tell you I sent the broken safety to Taurus in February and just got one in the mail at the end of June. It was a hassle, no communication on Taurus' part and not customer friendly.

They did honor the warranty with a new safety but it was a PITA getting my gun back in service. 16 weeks to have a safety mailed out even after multiple follow-ups??? Not cool.

I really enjoy my PT1911 though.
    Adapt, Adjust and Overcome.

I am looking at a Pt1911 I think it is. I was wondering if they honor them for the secondary purchaser as i will be buying it used. Most comapnies seem to, but this will be a deciding issue. Anyone know if they will honor the "lifetime warranty" for a secondary buyer?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog46 View Post
    I am looking at a Pt1911 I think it is. I was wondering if they honor them for the secondary purchaser as i will be buying it used. Most comapnies seem to, but this will be a deciding issue. Anyone know if they will honor the "lifetime warranty" for a secondary buyer?
    YES, absolutely.

(York County)

[QUOTE=Howard Bullock;1654596]Well after 26 years my Taurus 92 AF failed at the range. The little butterfly piece attached to the underside of the barrel that locks the slide broke. The right wing portion broke off and was out of alignment with the rest of the mechanism. With the part broken the extra piece of metal out of place the slide would not open. After getting the broken piece out of the slide I was able to clear and disassemble the pistol.

[QUOTE]

You had a broken locking block. I was an armorer in the USMC and found this problem and cracked frames (right at the lugs where the locking block mates to the frame) to be not that uncommon. The cause is a worn out recoil spring.

From ARMY TM 9-1005-317-23&P

Recoil Spring
    Free length of spring will not be less than 4 3/4 inches. A “flat” spot on either end of the half coil is not required. If flat spots are present other than on the ends of the spring, it is cause for rejection of the spring.

(Dauphin County)

Thanks for the information on the recoil spring. I wonder if Taurus checked and/or replaced it. The return documentation simply states two lines "part broken or cracked" replaced and then again with resolution adjusted.

I measured the spring and it is 5" on the nose uncompressed.

I know I have another spring kit for it that I bought a year or two after getting the pistol. I will locate the new spring and compare.
    NRA Life Member. OC is comfy!

(Lancaster County)

I used to be a Fed Ex courier and am here to tell you that I have sent three guns back to Taurus all using FedEx three day which cost around 12 bucks. Unless we were super busy the two and three day stuff usually was delivered the next day anyway just to clear the system. It was actually harder for us to do the two and three day stuff since we were primarily set up for overnight. If I had to send another one back it would be three day for sure and get dropped in a pick up box just to ensure no one asks me whats inside. Hopefully you will never have to send one back though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast