Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Star 30M mags?

(Montgomery County)

Default Star 30M mags?

I recently picked up a Star Model 30M for a pretty good deal. This is the 9mm with 15 round mag. I’ve put a couple hundred rounds through it so far and am loving the way she feels, accuracy, etc. Being that the gun isn’t made anymore, I’m having difficulty finding any mags for it. It only came with 1 mag, and I’d like a couple more. I had decided to try a ProMag with little success. I’ve read that S&W makes a mag that will fit in my gun, but I’d have to disconnect the mag safety to make it work.

So, here are my questions. Does anybody know where to get original mags from or does anybody have any experience with other aftermarket mags that actually fit?

I would rather die in a shootout than get assassinated in a "gun free zone"

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Star 30M mags?

You might want to try HiStandard in Texas. Will have to call them as mags tend not to be accurately described on their web site. Dave_n

(Cumberland County)

Nice purchase. I have the same pistol, it was one of the first I purchased many moons ago ! It's heavy, but very well made and reliable ! Check Ed's at area gun shows - actually Ed's wife handles the magazine - if she doesn't have it, she can get you some info. I'm sure ! Here's one on gunbroker :

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=240029347

Good luck with your new 9 - here's my pistol
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_n View Post
    You might want to try HiStandard in Texas. Will have to call them as mags tend not to be accurately described on their web site. Dave_n
    I just emailed them to see if they have any. Thanks

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Nice purchase. I have the same pistol, it was one of the first I purchased many moons ago ! It's heavy, but very well made and reliable ! Check Ed's at area gun shows - actually Ed's wife handles the magazine - if she doesn't have it, she can get you some info. I'm sure ! Here's one on gunbroker :

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=240029347

Good luck with your new 9 - here's my pistol
    What is "Ed's?" I did see the Gunbroker ad. That person has a few at 45.00 each. I'm alright paying that. I just wish they did some type of online payment rather than sending down a money order or check.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonK007 View Post
    What is "Ed's?" I did see the Gunbroker ad. That person has a few at 45.00 each. I'm alright paying that. I just wish they did some type of online payment rather than sending down a money order or check.
    Ed's Sportshop I believe is the business name. He and his wife are at all the Gunshows in area from Philly to York/Harrisburg - his shop is out by Allentown I believe. Didn't know if you get to any of the gunshows. I hear ya on money orders - hate when that is the only form of payment they take - worry a bit sending to someone I don't know, and a pain to go get one - lol. Good luck !

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Ed's Sportshop I believe is the business name. He and his wife are at all the Gunshows in area from Philly to York/Harrisburg - his shop is out by Allentown I believe. Didn't know if you get to any of the gunshows. I hear ya on money orders - hate when that is the only form of payment they take - worry a bit sending to someone I don't know, and a pain to go get one - lol. Good luck !
    I'll have to look the shop up and try to make a gun show. Thanks

(Berks County)

I had one of these fine-and heavy-pistols and IIRC, mags from S&W's 59 series will fit and work with some modification to the latch hole in the mag body.

Also, try Triple K. Tell them what kind of gun you have and they will probably have a replacement mag for it.

Also,there is a member at the Gunboards Spanish Pistol forum who may have some for sale-he is in Spain and has Star parts.

FWIW, they are great pistols and built like a dump truck...Spanish military surplus. I never had any type of feed or function problem with mine, and I wish I still had it.

mark
    Last edited by dogngun; July 10th, 2011 at 01:23 PM.
    Another armed Liberal veteran.

(York County)

+1 on Ed's Sport Shop. They're located in Tamaqua, but are at all the gunshows in SEPA, Ed's wife Vicki is very knowledgeable on magazines. If someone makes it, she probably has it or can get it for you.

http://www.edssportshop.com/

570 668 1080

(Montgomery County)

I had bought a promag to see what happens. It initially didn't fit right, but with about 6 hours worth of sanding, I got it to go in and out without hanging up. The mag seemed to be catching around the neck as-well-as all four corners.

I also bought the S&W mag and am still awaiting that package. I've read about how to increse the size of the latch hole with a square file to get those mags to work. That seems to be a pretty painless task.

I'm going to check out some of the brands and websites posted. I know I did contact Ed's and am still awaiting a reply.