Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Indiana County)

Default Wife's First Time Shooting

Wifey-poo is getting close to age 60 (and she'll be the first to tell you, too). Living here in Rural America she's not thrilled about a police response being up to two hours' away, but understands the reason. Born and raised in suburban Connecticut, firearms were essentially unknown to her while growing up. So, with home protection in mind, she was very much agreeable to going out and learning how to use my handgun (a Hi-Point C-9 9mm - yes, it's ugly, but it works very, very well).

My son and I took her out to the woods, set up a target (a sheet of plywood with a store-bought real target stapled to it), gave her the necessary firearms safety briefing (she listened well and followed the rules), put in the earplugs and put on the glasses, and popped off some rounds. From ten yards out she hit the target. After some shooting with the 9mm, my son had her do some with his .40 cal. She found the 9mm more to her liking, but managed to hit the target with the .40 cal. No, she'll not qualify soon for any Olympic shooting team, but all the rounds went downrange on or near the target. She had a big, big grin on her face.

We cleaned up our mess, drove back out of the woods, and went to the Route 240 Restaurant for a late lunch. I was still wearing my 9mm on my hip. Nobody said a word about it. Don't even know if they even noticed, and with my jacket off it was in plain view.

She says she had fun, and now feels a lot more comfortable now knowing she knows what to do if necessary. But, she still wants a shotgun for zombies. (A word to the wise, don't ever let your wife read "The Zombie Survival Guide").

So, how'd your significant other handle her first time firing?

P.S. She wants to do it again.
    Last edited by Statkowski; January 6th, 2008 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Added postscript.

Default Re: Wife's First Time Shooting

Another one bites the dust!!!!! Good job. Mine fired a shotgun once back in high school. That is about the extent of her shooting.
    Jules

(Delaware County)

Great job, +6 from me.

I've been bringing mine around for a few months now. First time I was at a range in Bristol where I met up with a forum member, a fella there let her shoot his Ruger 22, had a long barrel and no kick, she loved it, pretty damn good at it too. She has since bought one of her own, a Ruger Mark III 22/45.

She tried my Kahr CW9 but didn't like it's kick, it's top heavy, half plastic. Each time we go shooting I ask her if she want to give the 9 a shot, most of the time it's still no but she shoots the hell out of that 22. One of my Christmas gifts was a Ruger 357 magnum revolver. Wouldn't go near it the first few times I brought it to the range.

I got her to shoot it today, first I loaded it with 38 special rounds, not much kick, not bad she says, so next I put in three 357 rounds and three 38 rounds spun the cylinder and gave it to her, she knew it had the three 357 rounds, first shot BAM, a 357 round, she started to put the gun down but I got her to finish it off.

Liked the 38 rounds but not the 357, figuring I had her on a roll I got her to shoot a couple shots from the Kahr, still not a fan but she's at least trying it now. Still can't get her to fire my Marlin 336XLR.

In time I think she'll be OK with them all, she's a good shot no matter which gun she picks up.

Slow and easy, that's how my wife is getting into it, at her own pace, I offer but don't get mad if she says no. At least she enjoys her 22 and loves to go shooting with me.

Poor girl, I took a tree hugging yuppie and turned her into a Harley riding, gun shooting, biker girl.

hehehe

Bill

(Beaver County)

My wife was into shooting before we met. She loves to shoot. Her favorite is her Marlin 30-30. Her new Bersa is a close second though.

(Perry County)

Good job on getting the wife out shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    But, she still wants a shotgun for zombies. (A word to the wise, don't ever let your wife read "The Zombie Survival Guide").
    Remind her of rule number 4: Blades don’t need reloading.

Meyerco 22 inch machete

I've got the shotgun, AK, and the girlfriend is exteremely proficient with the scoped 22 rifle but neither of us would be caught dead or undead without our machete's
    We the people have not only the right but the responsibility to hang tyrants for treason.

(Allegheny County)

My wife had zero experience with firearms prior to us meeting. For me, firearms are part of my job, so firearms are always "around".

I felt it best to teach her about firearms, and their safe handling and use, so off to the range we went.

She has shot .38 snubby's, Glock 36 (45 cal), and the Kel-tech 32.

I must admit it was funny seeing a five foot nothing, 105 pound gal shooting a 45.

That was several years ago, now my wife has a permit to carry, which she often uses, owns "her" own guns and although not a gun enthusiast, is interested in the safety in protection of our family.

NEXT project: Just bought my 10 year old son and 8 year old daughter their first .22 rifle.
    No signature required.