Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New Compact, DAO .45 for CC. Almost time!!!!!

I get to sell my G27 tomorrow, then I will have the money for the new .45 that I am replacing it with. Now, I had my mind really set on a new HK45C with an LEM trigger and Trijicon Night Sights. Ever since I sold my HK USP .45 full size I have felt the lack of an HK keenly. I really want another.

However, all is not well in paradise. The Smith & Wesson M&P45C with night sights also meets the criteria of what I want. Double action only operation, at least 8 rounds in the mag, slimmer grip, no manual safety, not blocky (the reason I'm not interested in a G30 or 36) It has to have an M1913 rail and bear a light. Holsters are not an issue, as I get custom IWB tuckable leather holsters.

So if all things were equal, I would probably buy the S&W. I can get LE pricing on the S&W and end up paying $499 shipped. The sacrifice is twofold, The LEM trigger feels way better than the M&P trigger and I would definitely still feel the lack of an HK. So...

People have suggested Kahr's compact 45s. I'm not a fan for the same reason that I'm not interested in a Glock. There is also that entire slide rusting thread on here that I saw. Not saying that it would happen to mine if I bought one. Its just one more reason that I'm not really a fan of Kahr arms. (refering to the way Kahr's CS handled it).

Lets lets face it. Its going to live inside my belt and I am going to sweat on it. I use a hoppe's silicon guncloth to wipe it down before and after it comes out of my waist band, so I'm not too concerned about it. But it still needs a finish that will not be rusting like the Kahr in that specific thread.

I have also read about the new Sig Sauer P220 Compact. As much as I love my Sigs, it has three major disqualifiers. First, it only has 6 rounds in the mag. Second, even if I could find it in a DAK configuartion. That system still has two different pulls and two different reset points. I want real, simple double action only. One trigger pull and one reset point. Thirdly, it has no M1913 rail.

The P250 .45 compact fits the bill. But I'm just not into it the way I am the HK or to a much lesser extent the S&W. Hey, I'm allowed my totally subjective reasons after all.

So here is the question, which would you choose? Would you go for the Spartan S&W? Or would you go whole hog on the HK? Why do you choose what you do? Is there a specific feature that you are buying for?
    Last edited by SCBaldr; July 7th, 2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Pics added
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Cumberland County)

Smile Re: New Compact, DAO .45 for CC. Almost time!!!!!

keep in mind this opinion is coming from a hardcore glock fan, go h&k the smiths do nothing for me at all but h&k what,s not to like?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: New Compact, DAO .45 for CC. Almost time!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SCBaldr View Post
    Ever since I sold my HK USP .45 full size I have felt the lack of an HK keenly. I really want another.
    That pretty much says it all. I'd suspect that if you went with anything else there would still be that nagging feeling in the back of your mind.

I've owned a Full-szed M&P45 (two, actually), and they were OK - trigger not quite as good as my G23, but the build quality was decent and they shot well. But if I had the cash I would like to pick up an H&K eventually just based on their reputation.

(Allegheny County)

Given your criteria I say HK.

Two more paychecks... the Monday after next is D-day. Or should I say HK-day?

(Monroe County)

Say "word"! HK my fellow 45 fan!

(Cumberland County)

I'm a bit biased, but I'd say you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't at least try shooting a Kahr, even some dry fire.

But, it certainly is a bit different than your other choices.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Monroe County)

Go the HK route and get Eezox.

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    I'm a bit biased, but I'd say you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't at least try shooting a Kahr, even some dry fire.
    But, it certainly is a bit different than your other choices.
    I've shot Kahr's before. Better trigger pull than a Glock if you get the K series guns. That's not really saying much though. For me though, most of my reason is in the profile of the grip and slide, not really a fan of IWBing a really blocky feeling Teutonic .45. This may sound a little weird, but here goes. The HK and the S&W both have narrower dimensions at the tops of their slides than they do where the slides meet the frames. They both have cuts and curves that round off their edges and that makes them a lot easier to carry. I'm just not interested in a Kahr and that's only one of a myriad of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    Go the HK route and get Eezox.
    Forgive my ignorance... But... What is an Eezox? Never heard of it.

In other news, I sold my G27 to a good buyer from the 18th and Bainbridge area. Did the transfer at Kings. Good sale, I know He's a PAFOA member, but I deleted my PMs and I can't remember his screen name now.
    Last edited by SCBaldr; July 8th, 2011 at 06:59 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by SCBaldr View Post
    Forgive my ignorance... But... What is an Eezox? Never heard of it.

EEzox

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast