Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Hello, first forum post

Hi Everyone,

I have been lurking here for a few months, but have so far only posted in the Classified section here. I wanted to post in this sub-forum to say hello to everyone as I have learned a lot in this forum as well as the firearms forum here and I am appreciative.

I also wanted to mention that I got my Philadelphia LTCF around a month ago, and the wait was only around 32 days. So from what I have read here that is a little bit of an improvment in the normal wait times. Hopefully others get their LTCF's in less the the 45 days going forward as well.

My current gun collection consists of an S&W M&P9C, SA 1911 Ultra-Compact .45acp, Kahr PM9, and a Sig P238.

I have been very lucky with all of these guns as none of them has had any issues at the range. In fact, I even had a DB380 that was also flawless and I have read plenty of people who did not have such luck. I did trade the DB380 in when I bought the 1911 UC though. I really like all of my guns, but there is just so much out there to try it is hard to just stay pat and just enjoy what I have. I do keep my weapons nice and clean and have always babied my stuff (just always been anal that way) so that probably helps keep them running smoothly.

I am just really enjoying this new hobby, going to the range, and enjoy reading as much as possible to learn what I do not know yet.

Anyway, thanks to all for all the great info I have taken from this site (and a few others) already!

Scott

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Hello, first forum post

WELCOME
    Then join in the fight that will give you the right to be free! ~Les Mis

yo! whats up scott, welcome aboard you no good philadelphian, gun loving hater!

well not really all the above but......

im in fishtown and i think we may be on the verge of a true philly alliance , send a friend request so we can keep in touch and abreast of local stuff.
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks Guys!

Ruggerio - Yeah, you probably hit the nail on the head - friend request sent. I am just a little north of you but not far. Northeast here.

Scott

(Philadelphia County)

Welcome Scott! I'm in Wissonoming. Glad to have another Philly gun enthusiast on board!

Philadelphia, and proud of it., Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)

Scot,
    Welcome! It's a fun city to live in, despite the drawbacks.

If you haven't seen it yet, here's the quick reference thread with some good info on Philly:

http://forum.pafoa.org/philadelphia-...ladelphia.html

Do you think you're going to join a range, or take things one step at a time for now?

-chivalrouscarry

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by chivalrouscarry View Post
    Scot,
    Welcome! It's a fun city to live in, despite the drawbacks.

If you haven't seen it yet, here's the quick reference thread with some good info on Philly:

http://forum.pafoa.org/philadelphia-...ladelphia.html

Do you think you're going to join a range, or take things one step at a time for now?

-chivalrouscarry
    Hi Chivalrouscarry,

Very nice of you, and thank you. I should have been a little more specific though . I spent the first 10 years of my life in Philly, then the next 10 in Lower Buck County (basically bordering Philly), then 10 more years living in Philly, back to Bucks for another 10 years, and moved back to Philly last year. So, I am very familiar with the city, and even though my life has been a split of living in Philly and Lower Bucks, I consider myself a Philadelphian through and through.

As of now I have not joined a range, but am planning on it as it really does save $$$ to join one if you shoot regularly. I have hit a few of the ranges in my area and am just trying to decide on which to join (I have liked them all so far). Plus, I need to stop spending my money on Guns for a bit to use it to join

So, just curious, does anyone have a favorite range they would recommend joining? (not too far from the northeast).

It's funny, pretty much everyone I have met either at the ranges or working the ranges / stores have really been nice people. However, almost no one I am friends with carries or even goes to any range to shoot. Guess I need some new friends . But seriously, it is hard sometimes to be so into something like owning/carrying/going to the range when none of my friends / family are really into it and I do get some strange looks sometimes if I start rambling on about this stuff sometimes.

I ALMOST have my wife into it now (it is probably just rubbing off from me) and we almost got her her first pistol last week but my daughter became very ill, needed an operation and that sort of killed the deal. Now perhaps after some time passes and my wife is not so busy with stuff related to this I will get her on board again. That would be cool anyway. As a matter of fact, it will be good to actually get back to the range myself as my time this past week has basically been all about my daughter (as it should be). She is home again as of yesterday so hopefully things start to get more normal as she recovers.

Thanks again!
    Scott

(Philadelphia County)

Hey Scott, welcome! Sounds like you're doing and getting everything just about right with gun ownership in Philly.

My wife and I belong to 2 ranges, Philadelphia Archery & Gun Club in South Philly and Delaware County Field & Stream near Aston. I like both places tremendously, with some exceptions to some of the rules. Between the 2 places, we get to shoot pretty much anything we want. I'd be happy to take you and your wife to either or both places to check them out and give you the ins and outs of each range if you are interested. I have a lot of experiences teaching women to shoot too, if you need help on getting your wife aboard.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    Hey Scott, welcome! Sounds like you're doing and getting everything just about right with gun ownership in Philly.

My wife and I belong to 2 ranges, Philadelphia Archery & Gun Club in South Philly and Delaware County Field & Stream near Aston. I like both places tremendously, with some exceptions to some of the rules. Between the 2 places, we get to shoot pretty much anything we want. I'd be happy to take you and your wife to either or both places to check them out and give you the ins and outs of each range if you are interested. I have a lot of experiences teaching women to shoot too, if you need help on getting your wife aboard.

Al
    Thank you Al, really appreciate your suggestions and your offer! I may actually take you up on that one day when my wife is ready. I am a newbie basically, and while I have been studying, practicing a lot, and doing proper maintenance, I certainly do not have the experience yet to teach someone sufficiently.

Scott

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T View Post
    Thank you Al, really appreciate your suggestions and your offer! I may actually take you up on that one day when my wife is ready. I am a newbie basically, and while I have been studying, practicing a lot, and doing proper maintenance, I certainly do not have the experience yet to teach someone sufficiently.

Scott
    Look me up whenever you're ready. Personally, I think it's vital to start out right. A good instructor can make or break a timid noob. Moreover, my general observation is that spouses tend to make worse teachers and students.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast