Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default encounter with a constable

finally met one of these guys the other day. he rolled into my place of business in a Buick and served some papers. most of the people named on the papers were no longer there, so I gave him their addresses, cleared a few things up for him and sent him on his way.

not good enough, he wanted my name, address and phone number. I gave him my name. not good enough. need your address and phone number. I said unless you are a law enforcement officer or a lawyer, no go. he said I'm neither, thanked me for what help I gave him, and left. at least he was honest.

didn't even realize it was a constable until later on. looked to me like an old dude in a Buick, never identified himself or anything. is it procedure for them to roll in, not identify themselves, serve papers and start asking questions?
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/hovisimo2/sunsetpatrolresizedcopy.gif

Default Re: encounter with a constable

Quote Originally Posted by carterbeauford View Post
    finally met one of these guys the other day. he rolled into my place of business in a Buick and served some papers. most of the people named on the papers were no longer there, so I gave him their addresses, cleared a few things up for him and sent him on his way.

not good enough, he wanted my name, address and phone number. I gave him my name. not good enough. need your address and phone number. I said unless you are a law enforcement officer or a lawyer, no go. he said I'm neither, thanked me for what help I gave him, and left. at least he was honest.

didn't even realize it was a constable until later on. looked to me like an old dude in a Buick, never identified himself or anything. is it procedure for them to roll in, not identify themselves, serve papers and start asking questions?
    pretty much yes. I was at my buddies car stereo shop once when one came in to serve papers because he was being sued by a plumbing company who screwed him over so he wouldn't pay. anyway at that point my friend said screw it, and went to get a check for the whole $140 but while the constable was waiting he was taking inventory on all his items and just started being a dick trying to get behind the counter and such, I didn't know this guy from a hole in the ground so I wasnt gonna let him near the register and stuff as my friend told me to hold down the fort while he hit the bank. so I started to get into it with him, asked him to stand outside and he said no he had a right to be there, I asked to see a warrant he said he didn't need one to serve papers and I said no but once your asked to leave you must comply, and since you didn't your now tresspassing, so I picked up my phone to call my stepdad(an officer in that township) so he came over and tresspassed him, because he wouldn't leave the inside of the store to wait for the cash. Then he wouldn't take the money and left , never did another thing out of that magistrate office.

With that story told, I do know 1 or 2 good constables who are some of the hardest working people I know, so they aren't ALL bad. Just 95% or so

(Montgomery County)

If you are expecting papers being served on you of course you are not there. I see you coming and I don't want to deal with you I would do the same. He is trying to not look like he is going to serve papers. And you could be one of the people he is looking for and pretending to be someone else. So again if I was serving papers on you I would want to know for sure who I was talking to.

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhra View Post
    If you are expecting papers being served on you of course you are not there. I see you coming and I don't want to deal with you I would do the same. He is trying to not look like he is going to serve papers. And you could be one of the people he is looking for and pretending to be someone else. So again if I was serving papers on you I would want to know for sure who I was talking to.
    but even if they know who you are, you can deny the papers which a person denying his name most likely would do. So he most likely would like to know if incase you have a warrant or something as they have arrest powers for that type of thing.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    but even if they know who you are, you can deny the papers which a person denying his name most likely would do. So he most likely would like to know if incase you have a warrant or something as they have arrest powers for that type of thing.
    just can't picture that guy trying to arrest me show up in a Buick and put the cuffs on me shortly thereafter... not happening on my property, sorry.

papers weren't for me.
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/hovisimo2/sunsetpatrolresizedcopy.gif

(Luzerne County)

... So again if I was serving papers on you I would want to know for sure who I was talking to.
    Sure, but the point is your not entitled to it so don't be surprised if you don't get it.

(Pike County)

OK so a question pertaining to XD45's post and the original one.

On CarterBeauford's post. The conastable came in looking for people names on the papers. He was givin info , and then the consatable asked for the providers name.. At that point can CB tell him sorry its none of your business??

Same with XD45's case, the constable reached in person the named subject on the papers. Anyone else in the store is of no concern to the constable. So why should the constable ask for XD's name?? it is irrelivant to the papers, hes not obstructing justice. The constable has no right looking around the building AT ALL without a warrant. I can understand if he's standing there looking around where customers are allowed. BUT what on earth would make him think he can just nose around behind the counter?? whats back there again has NOTHING to do with serving the papers.

So in both case's can anything of legal action be taken against someone for not providing their name?? Or in XD's case can tresspass/harrasment charges be charged against the constable??

I luckly have never had to deal with any of these issues. But just want to know what are my rights .

Snert...

(Erie County)

So a guy comes in and starts asking questions. Figures out the warrant he has is for you for a traffic offense or something you forgot a about. At this point he says he is a constable and he has a warrant for you, you figure he's just some prick trying to be an ass or possibly rob you and tell him to get the fuck out. He pulls his gun and shows his constable badge (if there such a thing). Now of course you have your gun on him, possibly shoot him.

Just use Google and you'll see how many robberies occur with the BGs claiming to be police.

Also looked at how many shootings occur involving undercover cops with the claim made they never identify themselves.

Thats my concern.

(Lehigh County)

Wow! but don't worry, in another two or three years all the constable would have had to do was wave an RFID reader at your REAL ID card you will be required to carry, and he'll know your name, address, shoe size, reading preferences, sexual orientation, guns owned, etc., etc.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by carterbeauford View Post

I have very rarely had any good experience with a constable, not saying there aren't good ones out there. As for if they need to ID themselves I don't know, but plan to have an answer for that in the morning. As for asking questions, ANYONE can ask questions, only you can decide rather you are going to answer them or not. In your case it sounds like you accommodated this fellow a heck of a lot more than I would of, but at some point you said enough was enough. I do give the constable credit for at least being HONEST with you when you asked who/what he was. And I give YOU credit for handling this very well.
    No signature required.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast