Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Clinton County)

Default Where are the turkey poults?

I am curious if anyone else has seen any turkey poults. Since the end of spring gobbler season I have observed over 20 hen turkeys and none of them had any poults with them. Today I watched a lone hen picking insects in one of my fields also no poults. The last week of June I drove to New York along I 80 and I 84 I saw several hens again no poults. At work I was asked if I was seeing turkeys the person who asked me is seeing the same. There are 5 lone hens running around their farm. The spring was extremely wet. Is anyone seeing any amount of poults?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Where are the turkey poults?

I've so far only seen 2 hens with a brood. One hen with 8 poults (chicks look to be born recently) and one with 2 (a lot older poults). I've been seeing 2 hens at my out-laws in Bucks C. and none have a brood.

2 weeks ago Me and my wife took some pics of a hen and 5-6 poults, feeding along the side of the road in the Jersey Pines near Batsto.cute lil buggers!
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Allegheny County)

I have heard the extremely wet & cold spring has been very hard on the broods.
    The Lord Bless You

(Dauphin County)

I have seen one hen with a single poult that shows up in the yard at my bosses house. In a typical year, there are usually two or three hens with about 15-20 poults total. I talked to a friend of mine who is an avid hunter, and he said the wet weather is bad for the young ones, for diseases, and also that they get to smelling bad, which makes it easier for predators to find them.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Monroe County)

saw 2 hens yesterday walking on the road together with at least a dozen little ones running around
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Berks County)

All of the hens I have seen so far this year, have not had any poults with them. It has been like that the last 2 years in my area. I only heard 1 gobbler this spring. I haven't heard more than 1 or 2 gobblers around my house the last 2-3 years in the spring. I used to hear several almost every day a few years back. I guess with the lower deer populations more hunters are turning to turkeys. JMO

(Wayne County)

The wife and I were just talking about this on Father's Day. We saw the first brood of the year clear out in Pike Co. almost to Dingmans. That is the only poults that we've seen all spring so far. Very unusual around here. Our neighborhood usually has anywhere from 30-50 running around w/ 6-10 hens. Nothing this year. Actually not even seeing any hens.

Not to get off topic, but I've only seen one fawn deer yet this year also. That's getting to be pretty late, too.

Winter was looooong and springtime was slow to break this year. I haven't checked out the blueberry crop yet.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Allegheny County)

We've got a hen with 6 little ones in the woods around our house. Hopefully they make it...

(Allegheny County)

This is the only one I saw until yesterday. I saw a few hens with 2 other smaller poults.

A year ago there were a lot more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast