Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Smith & Wesson SW1911..Any input???

Hey all, this is my first post and I'm new this site. I've been reading other posts for a while now before registering. I wish I would have found this site sooner...it's really awesome. It's nice to see that there are other's who have a love for firearms, even though I do not currently own any, I've always been extremely fascinated with them, particularly pistols.

I'm in the process of getting my concealed carry permit in Delaware County, and live in Springfield, technically its Marple Twnshp but we have Springfield post office. Anyway, I'm in the market for a handgun and have been looking around online.

I really like the S&W SW1911, particularly the 1911PD Tactical Rail Series(all black), but they're all nice.

Does anybody have a personal experience with the SW1911 and how do you like it or dislike it? I've read alot of great reviews on them but have never personally shot one. I've heard people saying that they're too heavy for concealed carry but I'm a big guy...6'1, 280 lbs(bodybuilder) and because of my size I was thinking it may not be all that heavy for me to carry. Me and my father-in-law(who has had a CCW for over 25 years now) have gift certificates to Target Master. I was thinking of going there and testing one out to see if I like it or not.

A friend of mine just got a Springfield XD .45 and loves it but unfortunately, he lives in CO, so there's no shooting it and testing it out for me. Would anybody recommend one of these over the SW1911?

Any help would be great. Whatever handgun I do decide to go with or any others I have in mind, I'm going to test them out at the shooting range just so I know what feels right and what I'm getting.

Thanks.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Smith & Wesson SW1911..Any input???

S&W makes a nice 1911. I've had my base model for just about 2 years and it has performed great for me. Some will say it's not a true 1911 design due to the external extractor, but that doesn't bother me and think S&W has the design down pat (as opposed to Kimber who had a failed attempt at using one).

I see the 1911PD Tactical weighs in at 32 ounces, and then you'd need to factor in the weight of a mag and 9 rounds of .45. So yes, that will get to be a bit heavy. It looks like you can save 4 ounces by going with a Commander sized S&W, but they won't have a rail.

The XD 45 Compact is actually very close to weight - the 4" model would be 29 ounces with the compact mag, though that will hold 10 rounds which is 2 more than the 1911 does. While the XD does a good job at making a slimmer .45 handgun, it won't quite match the 1911.

In the end you'll need to decide what platform you want to go with - I think either would be a good choice.

(York County)

I have had this pistol for several years. I consider it an excellent firearm. The
    only work I have done to this piece is to have the extractor honed and the
    ramp lightly polished. No failures to feed, fire or extract. I prefer 230g FMJ, Ammo.
    I did purchase a set of Combat Matte Black Double Diamond Carbon Grips. Makes
    my stainless steel S&W 1911 look 'GREAT'. Also prefer the Wilson Magazines.
    Easy to carry concealed IWB or OWB. By the way, it is accurate. I believe you
    are making a good choice.
    p.s. www.carboncreations.com
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(Delaware County)

Thank you guys for your input. I'm kind of really set on the SW1911 and your reviews really have me leaning towards one. I don't know if I'll get the 1911PD but I'm really leaning towards one the SW1911 but I'll have to go and try some out.

How true to the S&W website are the 1911 prices at a store? Because on the website the 1911PD is almost $1200 and I've seen it on different websites for around $875.

I thought that the XD would be alot lighter because its polymer but I guess its not. I did like the XD-45 5 inch Tactical though, but I think the 1911 is much nicer on just plain aesthetics.

Thanks again for the input.

(Monroe County)

If you haven't already, check out the following forums for additional information:

http://forums.1911forum.com/ (general & S&W section)
    http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ (general & .45 room)
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve (semiauto section)

Budsgunshop has the 1911PD w/ rail for $830 and the standard blued 1911 for $748. While they have great prices, I'd estimate that in my neck of the woods the 1911PD w/ rail would be about $900 - $950.

While not for carry purposes, I was looking for a polymer .45 for home defense use. I had to rule out the Glocks (21/21sf) due to the large grip. I liked the XD Tactical (same as what you are looking at, but in a longer barrel), but I ended up liking the S&W M&P45 better. That may be another option you may want to look into.

I have fired one, and it was a great shooter. As far as the weight goes, it is not like benching or doing squats. If you wear it in a belt holster or in the pants holster, you WILL NOTICE the weight. Sure, it won't slow you down any, but will become more "uncomfortable" faster. All of that aside, buy the best holster you can afford and that will almost become a moot point. Weight is always brought up because of "COMFORT" factor in my opinion. Good luck with your purchase, and that is a great idea to shoot anything before you buy.
    Jules

(Westmoreland County)

IMHO Smith and Wesson makes hte finest production 1911 in the market right now. Great value. I don't think you would be disapointed in the least.

(Lancaster County)

I have a 1911pd non-rail commander and absolutely LOVE it. Great gun, accurate, reliable, the only complaint is one out of about 20 empties comes back and drills me square in the forehead. I've been tosing around if I should send it in to have the extractor replaced. Part of me wants to but the other part says that this gun has been 100% reliable so dont fudge with it.

I know you said about it being heavy but that's not the case with the PD, it has the scadium alloy frame.

Also, Smith has an excellent reputation in the customer service and warranty department and I wouldnt hesitate to buy another product from them.

Hope this helps and good luck.

(Delaware County)

Great replys! I'm really think I'm gonna get a SW1911PD now. Now the only issue is waiting a couple months to get some money to pay for it. Starting a new job in February and even though we have a good amount of money on my wifes salary alone, she would fucking kill me if I went out and spent $900 on a handgun...she doesn't see it as a necessity at the moment for me. I'm guessing alot of wifes are the same way but I'm sure there's others that aren't too. lol.

Something else that's been on my mind...this may sound like a stupid question, but since I don't have my CCW yet, can I still buy a handgun without it or do I have to have some kind of firearm permit to purchase a firearm?? I only ask because I never bought a firearm while living in PA but it was something I've been pondering if I do decide to get a handgun sooner than expected.

Thanks again for the great advice!

(Lancaster County)

You dont need a ccw permit to purchase a pistol in PA. To purchase one from a dealer, you must be 21 years of age, have valid photo ID, provide current address, be able to fill out the paperwork and pass the background check which is done over the phone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast