Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default ....For those with kids...

Im sure many members here have children and such..Do you regularly talk about firearms with them?..talk about carrying them?..safety?..so on and so forth..
    Glock 27 Glock 22

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: ....For those with kids...

Quote Originally Posted by xtcalls View Post
    Im sure many members here have children and such..Do you regularly talk about firearms with them?..talk about carrying them?..safety?..so on and so forth..
    Not regularly, but we do talk about safety, why I carry, why there's guns in the house. We also talk about what they see on TV that most of it isn't real and that guns are dangerous and they need to be respected.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lancaster County)

I think they are a little young for the firearm safety talk. But when they are good a ready, and there mother lets them, we will have that talk.

They are getting to that age where everything is a toy and even though my guns are locked up it scares the hell out of me.

FTR my kids are only going to be 2 in august.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Allegheny County)

Red face Re: ....For those with kids...

With Special Needs children, it's very hard. My boys are in Cub Scouts now, and while they shoot BB guns at Cub Day Camp (where I have to go over the safety rules and work with them hand-over-hand in some cases), they seem to have almost ZERO interest in dad's guns.

Because my oldest crosses over to the Boy Scouts this coming spring, I've tried to show him "his" Marlin 925 and explain it to him this summer - NO interest on his part whatsoever so far.

In one sense, I'm somewhat relieved that they're NOT more interested in them, yet I'm also trying to get across to them the need to leave any un-atended guns they find alone, and to go and tell daddy or another adult.

They don't visit other peoples' homes, so there's another problem averted; nonetheless, I'd still like them to know more firearms safety at the VERY least. With their Autism, it's an on-going struggle.

(Delaware County)

I have two girls ages 7 and 12. I introduced them to guns at a very early age. They know more about firearm safty than a lot of adults. They have never been overly curious about my guns because they are common place in my home. They both want to learn how to shoot and are looking foward to having their own guns in the future.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Centre County)

I have a four-year-old that's quite conscious of safety rules. He doesn't touch any of the guns without permission, but he does apply that to all items, as is proper. It doesn't belong to him, so it's not his to touch.

Shooting isn't his favorite thing, but he does enjoy range trips. And he doesn't get to shoot unless he can recite the rules of safety first.
    "Cave Johnson. We're done here."

(Lancaster County)

Kids are great to take to the range, my boys are always excited to collect all the brass that's laying around when we're done.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Mercer County)

..I started my now 11 yr old out at age 5 shooting a 410 single shot and a 22 rifle..He has had a great interest in guns since and like many...guns are commonplace here at home..I do talk regularly with him about safety(he will bring the topic up most times)..Hes very comfortable with me carrying concealed and what not..and even reminds me that when I go to his school to make sure that I do not have a gun...I feel Im pretty lucky so far to have a child with awareness and a willing to learn..he even took time to research the 2A on his own which he also openly talked about in class when they were covering those things in history..(I held my breath and waited for a phone call from the school)..he also had to do a diagram in one class and did it on "how to clean a muzzleloader"...got an A+
    Glock 27 Glock 22

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by xtcalls View Post
    Not regularly, but often enough to keep them up to date and to prevent them from forgetting.

I will once in a while leave an unloaded/disabled firearm within reach to test their knowledge retention and so far they've both done well in steering clear in not touching or even staring at the firearm. Ive made a habit of doing it with an especially new firearm just so they know that it is no different than the rest of them.

They may not be old enough to truly grasp the concept of death, but they do now it will happen if they touch a real gun and they do know it's not something they ever want to experience.

I've brought the younger one, 3 year old, to the range and let him interact with the Savage 22 rifle. Being in the same vicinity of firearms going off, especially the Mosin-nagant gave him a pretty good impression of the difference between real and toy guns. Unfortunately paper targets do very little to illustrate the devastation caused by gunfire and I plan to bring him to a range and show him what happens to a melon when it's on the wrong end of a rifle round.

Knowledge is power, and Firearm safety is key and that requires knowledge. Firearm ignorance is much more dangerous than teaching a kid about firearms. We always had firearms in the house while I was growing up, and my knowing of their destructive capability made it a pretty easy decision to just leave them alone, and the idea of touching or playing with a real gun never crossed my mind as a child.

I did surprise my kid once by telling him he was going to give a talk to his young Marine unit (glorified co-ed boy scouts) about 5 minutes before he saw the display I setup for the lesson....

Poor video quality because the recorder was set for 'lowlight' but I'm glad the guy recorded it...

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast