Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Question Hunting noob - some questions

My 12yo daughter wants to start hunting. While I have plenty of experience with firearms, I have never hunted in my life. We are taking our classes in August. I have a couple of questions that I've been unable to find answers for on Google.

1) What is the smallest caliber that I can use for deer in PA? My wife claims that I shouldn't buy a .308 because her parents always got their deer with a .22! Father-in-law laughed at this claim when I mentioned it to him. His claim is that they used a "six-fourty-three" (which sounds like an elephant gun) and my assumption is that the truth is that they used a .243.

2) Do you think a 20 gauge would be a good starter gun for my daughter? We were at the in-laws yesterday and she put 7 or 8 rounds through an old NE by Mossberg and she seemed to handle it well and says she felt no discomfort. The 20 seems like a relatively good all around firearm. I'd like to start her out on smaller game (rabbits, squirrels, maybe up to turkey size) just to make sure she wants to go after something like a deer.

3) How do I go about joining a sportsman's club? I'd like to take her out shooting the .22 ASAP but I don't know of any outdoor ranges in the area.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Hunting noob - some questions

1. Any center-fire rifle is legal to hunt deer with... A .222 on up... Doesn't take much to kill a deer if you have good shot placement...

2. 20 ga. shotgun is good for anyone, but the age of your daughter is important. Most 8 year olds can't hold it up let alone shoot it. If your daughter is young, a .410 shotgun has almost no recoil and can shoot slugs for deer, but I wouldn't try anything with a .410 past 50 yards...

3. Look online, or maybe a member close to you will know. Other than that, the PGC (Game Commission) has public ranges. It's $30 a year or free if you have a hunting license and you're allowed 1 guest... They get beat to hell and back, but they serve their purpose, just obey EVERY rule to the letter or the bunny cops might give you a fine... Most WCO's are nice guys, but there are idiots in every field of work... lol

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks for the tip on the PGC ranges. There's one not too far from me. Just have to wait to get a license.

I just noticed the regional forums so I'll ask in there about a sportsman's club.

A lot of companies also make reduced recoil ammo which is a big help. My son was tiny at twelve and he shot my 30-06 with reduced recoil ammo no problem. All I did was cut down the stock for him. I think it would have less recoil than a 20ga. You could always take her out squirrel hunting with the .22 or the 20ga to see how she likes hunting.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chazman321 View Post
    1. Any center-fire rifle is legal to hunt deer with... A .222 on up... Doesn't take much to kill a deer if you have good shot placement...
    2. 20 ga. shotgun is good for anyone, but the age of your daughter is important. Most 8 year olds can't hold it up let alone shoot it. If your daughter is young, a .410 shotgun has almost no recoil and can shoot slugs for deer, but I wouldn't try anything with a .410 past 50 yards...

3. Look online, or maybe a member close to you will know. Other than that, the PGC (Game Commission) has public ranges. It's $30 a year or free if you have a hunting license and you're allowed 1 guest... They get beat to hell and back, but they serve their purpose, just obey EVERY rule to the letter or the bunny cops might give you a fine... Most WCO's are nice guys, but there are idiots in every field of work... lol

-Chaz
    .222 isn't the smallest that's legal. .22 Hornet and .17 Remington are legal too, but like you said, "if you have good shot placement..." and that's important for a humane kill but it's not what determines legal or not.
    For a beginner I'd suggest a .243, plenty of power and not much recoil.
    .222 or .223 is sufficient with proper shot placement and for a beginner that may be a challenge.
    20 Ga. with a slug will have significantly more recoil than a .243 and I personally wouldn't try a shot beyond about 50 yards or so, as accuracy is questionable, it depends on the shooter. The shotgun option does have the advantage of small game hunting with the same gun but the disadvantage of more recoil and less accuracy & shorter range.

(Lancaster County)

a .223 is a VERY low recoil round that anyone from 12 and up should be able to handle. The only draw back is it seems to crack a good bit and can be scary to some of the younger kids because they seem to be a bit louder than a lot of rifles.

They are VERY accurate. They are flat shooting, and they are great to learn on because they are easy to shoot. Ammo is cheap and range time would be cheap also. Get her familiar with the firearm first, then teach her about shot placement on deer. You need to hear a deer in the vitals or the head (doe) to kill it with that small of a bullet. Preferably a heart/lung shot, as the deer will normally expire within about 70 yards or so.

Next step up from that would be IMO, a .243 or a .260...either would be a good cartridge to use for deer, both flat shooting with pleanty of power. If you think she can handle it, get her a .308...they don't kick like a .270 or 30-06 and they are a very good deer cartridge. Any of the above will work, you have to just find out what she is capable of. Me personally, would start her on the .223 or .243.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Jefferson County)

If you're gonna use .224(222Rem, 223Rem, 222Rem Mag, 22-250, etc,etc) caliber cartridges - make sure you use loadings for larger game. ...not the varmint ammo. Typically you'll have to load it yourself if you are going to use it on large game like deer. Bonded bullets or other bullets specifically for large game.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    If you're gonna use .224(222Rem, 223Rem, 222Rem Mag, 22-250, etc,etc) caliber cartridges - make sure you use loadings for larger game. ...not the varmint ammo. Typically you'll have to load it yourself if you are going to use it on large game like deer. Bonded bullets or other bullets specifically for large game.
    Agreed, the only way you are going to really use one as an effective game rifle, is to have the proper rounds for it. Specifically, you want something with high weight retention, consistency, accuracy, and a little bit more weight than the standard stuff you will buy on the shelf.

Let me see if I can dig some up for you?!?!?!? Bullets that is..

(Lancaster County)

Here ya go.....233 in 75GR BTHP...

(Somerset County)

Rossi makes the Trifecta, it's a single shot break action with 2 extra barrels that are easily swapped. 22 Rimfire, 20 gauge, and 243. Some folks say they aren't very accurate but the Rossi my son has (a 223/20gauge) will put 3 shots in less than 3/4 inch @ 100 yds.

There are plenty of youth and lady size rifles available in a variety of calibers. They generally have shorter stocks for a better fit. Savage, Remington, Howa, check around.

Plenty of cartridges that kill deer without killing the shooter. Some may be a bit harder to find but here's a list: 243 Win, 6mm Rem, 250 Savage, 257 Roberts, 260 Rem, 7mm-08, 300 Savage, 30-30 Win, 32 Special. With Managed Recoil ammo add in 308, 30-06, 270

The 243, 6mm, 250, and 257 would be the best bet for use on deer and groundhogs, the bigger ones will work on hogs but kick more.

I don't really recommend the 22 centerfires but do recommend Barnes TSX, Nosler Partitions or the 64 gr Win Power Point as suitable bullets for big game. But pick your shot carefully, there is no margin for error.

Dale

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast