Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Steel Cased .45 ACP?

Anyone use it? I'm planning on buying a couple hundred rounds of ammo and the Tul Ammo intrigues me because it's so cheap. 500 for $145. I've never used steel cased ammo in anything but my brother's AK. I don't care too much about how accurate it is, my primary concern is how dirty it is and if it will have any negative effects on my XD or my brother's 1911. I also like the Remington nickel cased UMC. The nickel cases would match the XD's stainless magazines! Stupid reason to buy ammo though.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Steel Cased .45 ACP?

Quote Originally Posted by KDE870 View Post
    Anyone use it? I'm planning on buying a couple hundred rounds of ammo and the Tul Ammo intrigues me because it's so cheap. 500 for $145. I've never used steel cased ammo in anything but my brother's AK. I don't care too much about how accurate it is, my primary concern is how dirty it is and if it will have any negative effects on my XD or my brother's 1911. I also like the Remington nickel cased UMC. The nickel cases would match the XD's stainless magazines! Stupid reason to buy ammo though.
    Russian tula ammo is dirty. It works well for me, and I have not had any negative effects in either a 1911 or a FN 45.

Just a thought. If you are concerned with cost, why not pick up your brass and resell it. IE

Buy 500-1000 reloadable for 15-15-15.50 a box.
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...box&groupid=32
    Then sell it for 5-6 cents (VERY easily on gunbroker) for a net of 12-13$ a box.

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

I was considering Tulammo 380 at $14.50 a box at Walmart, but I went with Federal for a $1.50 more. It was still a good price. I figured I will stick with brass when I can. Maybe I will try the cheaper steel stuff later on if I have month left over after the money!

Winchester Whitebox seemed to leave my brass pretty blackened, at least with one of my pistols. Has anyone else been seeing this with Winchester Whitebox?
    ...and they have a plan...

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by thelemite View Post
    Russian tula ammo is dirty. It works well for me, and I have not had any negative effects in either a 1911 or a FN 45.

Just a thought. If you are concerned with cost, why not pick up your brass and resell it. IE

Buy 500-1000 reloadable for 15-15-15.50 a box.
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...box&groupid=32
    Then sell it for 5-6 cents (VERY easily on gunbroker) for a net of 12-13$ a box.
    Yeah, that's what I'm reading everywhere I look. Dirty, jams a lot, FTF because the cases aren't as smooth as they should be, so on and so forth. Sounds like crap to me. On the other hand, Aguila looks good for the price. I'll probably get a couple hundred. Thanks for the link!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by thelemite View Post
    I read the fnp 45 isn't a fan of light loads. And Russian ammo is typically underpowered. No problems though? Just wondering, I have an fnp on the way.

(Cumberland County)

I certainly wouldn't call it crap, it is what it is, a cheap alternative. I shot a case of Tula through a Glock 27 and a Kahr and it worked great. Maybe 5 or 6 hard primers out of 1000, and a few feeding issues in the Kahr (but thats typical, the gun is picky about ammo.)

Over all, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. If you don't reload, or don't want to collect brass (or can't), it's a decent option. It depends on the gun too. My Glock ate every round with out a hiccup. The Kahr had a few minor issues, but like I said, the gun is picky on ammo.

Frankly, a few minor feeding issues doesn't bother me at the range as long as I know it's the ammo causing it. Worth it for me.

It does smell kinda funny though.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    I read the fnp 45 isn't a fan of light loads. And Russian ammo is typically underpowered. No problems though? Just wondering, I have an fnp on the way.
    I have definitely noticed it (Tula) to be underpowered, at least in 9mm and .40S&W. While shooting the aforementioned Kahr with Tula and my defense load of choice, I noticed a distinct, painful difference.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    It ran 100% for me with wolf. I do have a lot of rounds through
    It, so it might be a different story on a newer tighter
    Gun. If anything break it in with regular loads, then try a box
    In your Particular gun.

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

Steel 45 shot fine in my Glock 21 and 30 (about 150 rounds total). BUT steel did not in my buddy's SW bodygaurd .380. FWIW

(Luzerne County)

Have shot, no kidding, cases of steel cased ammo (Wolf and Barnaul) in a 1911 and the 7.62X39 in an SKS.
    NEVER had an FTF.
    The .45ACP ammo isn't any dirtier than Bullseye.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast