Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Clarion County)

Default Time for some changes !

With all of the new posts about "ND's-AD's" lately,I figured I might as well
    re-evaluate my own methods a bit.
    Normally,I leave a rnd. in the chamber,JHP,for SD..I think in the future,I will keep that chamber empty while at home, one in the chamber,JHP, while out and about.
    I see no reason to keep a FMJ. in the chamber unless I'm at the range.I like all of us am human.Mistakes happen! I don't want to be the cause of anybody
    or myself getting killed or injured.
    I think it might lessen the odds in my favor and the fact that I have a dog,I should have plenty warning and time to get one in the chamber while home.
    Any feed-back ?

(Fayette County)

Default Re: Time for some changes !

Unless you have kids or live with idiots, I really wouldn't worry about it.

If you haven't had a ND while carrying with one in the chamber out in public, why would the chanced go up for a ND at home?

If anything, while your sleeping you would want a round in teh chamber incase someone breaks in.

Nothing worse than being half awoke, reaching over for your gun in the dark and having to rack the slide.
    All while someone might be coming through your doorway.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Clarion County)

Well Ricochet,that's what got me thinking. Half asleep,grabbing the Glock the wrong way,shooting my wife and the fact,the dog is very attentive,I know when a coon is in my back yard.

(Allegheny County)

Do what makes you comfortable I guess, but I question the logic of now needing to think about "what mode of carry I'm in" should trouble come-a-knockin'.

Pick one mode of carry and stick with it is my thought on the matter.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Do what makes you comfortable I guess, but I question the logic of now needing to think about "what mode of carry I'm in" should trouble come-a-knockin'.

Pick one mode of carry and stick with it is my thought on the matter.
    I've had to make alot of changes lately. In another post, I stated that I had a stroke recently and my hands are a problem also. I've been into weapons my whole life but this old ass of mine is a changing.I feel the need to alter
    a few things for the better hopefully.

(Cumberland County)

Less time touchy gun, less chance gun go boom by accident.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Less time touchy gun, less chance gun go boom by accident.
    So true...!

(Luzerne County)

If you are that concerned maybe you should consider a revolver. Keep the hammer down on an empty chamber.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Beaver County)

One in the chamber for both of the bedside guns in my house. I currently keep my PT1911 in condition 2 (round chambered hammer down) and my wife's 92fs is kept the same way. The only difference is I have to cock the hammer back and she doesn't.

It used to make me a bit nervous to lower the hammer on a 1911 with a round chambered. But the way I figure it, if you aren't 100% comfortable with handling your gun of choice, you should either GET comfortable or choose a new gun. I know each of my guns well enough that I can make them function in the dark, which is when I expect I'll need to use them from the bedside. Hell if I'm turning on a bunch of lights for the bad guy to see me better.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    I've had to make alot of changes lately. In another post, I stated that I had a stroke recently and my hands are a problem also. I've been into weapons my whole life but this old ass of mine is a changing.I feel the need to alter
    a few things for the better hopefully.
    I would think that would make keeping the chamber empty a worse option if you're not as proficient with your hands as you used to be due to your stroke. It seems to me that you could be fumbling if trying to chamber a round under stress and really increase the chance of an ND. If you keep one in the chamber, then you get to decide when and where to chamber the round in a controlled environment. The biggest reason I can see against this is that you will have to chamber and then unchamber a round every time you leave the house and then come back again, unless you're using two separate guns, one for the house and one for when you're out.

As far as worrying about accidentally shooting your wife when drawing in the night, what about keeping it in a bed mounted holster pointing toward the ground. This way, if you do have an ND, chances are it will be pointed at the ground (since most NDs that don't occur while unloading/loading happen while drawing). Here are a couple of bed mounted holsters:

http://www.shado.com/Bed-Holsters/Mi...d-Holster.html

http://ultimatebedholster.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast