Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Gold Dot VS. Federal HST accuracy test/ammo life question

I just ordered 200 rounds of 155 grain Gold Dot's, and 200 rounds of 165 grain Federal Tactical HST. I am going to do a accuracy test at 10 yards and see which one is more accurate for me. I will have to have TcRoc also shoot both out of my gun since he is a great shot and would be a better judge. Both rounds I would trust, just need to see if there is any accuracy difference and if so how much.

Now to my question. 400 self defense rounds will last me a while, so how long would some of you consider the ammo to last...5 years at least(storage life)? I should be out of it by then but just wondering if I start to stock pile ammo...what would be the storage life most of you would say is the limit if they will be stored in a cool place?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Gold Dot VS. Federal HST accuracy test/ammo life question

Here is a test through wet phone books, as you can see the HST won with very impressive expansion but was not tested side by side with gold dots.

http://www.btfh.net/shoot/bullet-test-2.html

Ammo life? Longer than you'll be around. I'm shooting Turk 8mm from the 40's, Russian stuff from the 50's and it all works fine. Modern propellants and stored in a dry place and it will be good for well over 100 years.

(Centre County)

For what its worth, i carry HST 155gn in my USP40c... If only they had bonded HST in 357Mag

Given what all i've seen of the HST, your link included, it is great stuff. And you can buy the 50 round box of LE HST for the same price (approx) as a 20 round box of hydra-shoks...

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ronin View Post
    For what its worth, i carry HST 155gn in my USP40c... If only they had bonded HST in 357Mag

Given what all i've seen of the HST, your link included, it is great stuff. And you can buy the 50 round box of LE HST for the same price (approx) as a 20 round box of hydra-shoks...
    Man...crap! I like the 155 grain flavor, but ammunitiontogo.com was out of that and only listed 165 grain and 180 grain. I could have sworn like 3 weeks ago when I placed my last order I saw 155 grain in HST. Oh well I guess 165 grain is good but I rather trust the 155 grain in all .40 hp's. Crap!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jkroner659 View Post
    Here is a test through wet phone books, as you can see the HST won with very impressive expansion but was not tested side by side with gold dots.

http://www.btfh.net/shoot/bullet-test-2.html
    Great test. Does indicate what a lot of LEO testing guys have been saying -- HST is the shizzle.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jkroner659 View Post
    Man...crap! I like the 155 grain flavor, but ammunitiontogo.com was out of that and only listed 165 grain and 180 grain. I could have sworn like 3 weeks ago when I placed my last order I saw 155 grain in HST. Oh well I guess 165 grain is good but I rather trust the 155 grain in all .40 hp's. Crap!
    Get the 180gr. You'll want the added penetration of the heavier bullet.

Anyway, Federal HST's, Speer Gold Dot's and Winchester Ranger's are all the same. Buy whatever's cheapest.

(Allegheny County)

Great test, but remember there is no magic bullet, I know Police Agencies that issue both types of ammo, and Police sometimes view the ammo as true fight stoppers, but at the end of the day, if you can't put the bullet on TARGET, then neither bullet does you any good.

Just food for thought.
    No signature required.

Just received an order of Gold Dot ammo from Ammunition To Go. Code on box shows one box(9mm) is 2 1/2 years old and the others (38+P) are 1 1/2 yrs old. While this shouldn't be a problem, folks should be aware that you may not be getting current production ammo from these folks.