Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: +1 Question

(Indiana County)

Default +1 Question

I've been researching carrying +1 and the one thing that I cannot figure out for myself, but can understand is chambering the same round over and over again can seat the bullet deeper into the casing causing dangerous pressure. Again I can understand this.

What I don't understand is some people's definition of +1. To me it means a full mag plus one in the pipe.

Everything that I've read seems to point to peeling one off of the magazine causing it to strike the feed ramp before being chambered causing the bullet to be pushed back a little each time. In other words, the ride up the ramp at an angle is the problem when done over and over again with the same cartridge. The way that I load is by placing one in the chamber and then closing the slide before inserting a full mag. That makes for a total of 14 in a G23. What I'm asking is that since the round in question is being inserted by hand, and not being forced up the ramp - does the same danger exist by simply closing the slide on the same round more than once? This is my first auto loader as I've always been partial to revolvers in the past. Thanks in advance for any help.
    SASS, NRA, & USCCA Member.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: +1 Question

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy Steve View Post
    I've been researching carrying +1 and the one thing that I cannot figure out for myself, but can understand is chambering the same round over and over again can seat the bullet deeper into the casing causing dangerous pressure. Again I can understand this.

What I don't understand is some people's definition of +1. To me it means a full mag plus one in the pipe.

Everything that I've read seems to point to peeling one off of the magazine causing it to strike the feed ramp before being chambered causing the bullet to be pushed back a little each time. In other words, the ride up the ramp at an angle is the problem when done over and over again with the same cartridge. The way that I load is by placing one in the chamber and then closing the slide before inserting a full mag. That makes for a total of 14 in a G23. What I'm asking is that since the round in question is being inserted by hand, and not being forced up the ramp - does the same danger exist by simply closing the slide on the same round more than once? This is my first auto loader as I've always been partial to revolvers in the past. Thanks in advance for any help.
    The meaning of carry conditions 1-5 depend on who you are talking to and what you are talking about. It differs between weapon and groups refer to them differently on occasion.

I've never heard of manually chambering a round in a Glock.

(Monroe County)

Condition 1 and +1 are two different things. You are correct when you assume that +1 means a full mag and 1 in the chamber. The best way to achieve this is by inserting the mag, chambering a round, removing the mag, and adding another round to the mag.

(Indiana County)

I quess to me, it seemed quicker to lock the slide back and drop one in by hand rather than inserting a mag and racking the slide and dropping the mag again and trying to get the dreaded last round into a stiff mag.

Does the way that I do it have a lesser effect on the cartridge?

(Erie County)

Don't re-chamber the same round. If at the range, leave it in the gun, put in your target ammo mag, then shoot. If just cleaning, take the chambered round, and put it back in the mag, after chambering the 1st round from the mag.

You have the right def. for +1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Cumberland County)

Smile Re: +1 Question

loading a round in the chamber manually and closing the slide or bolt is not recomended in any firearm. in effect what you cause is the extractor must ride over the side of the round during closing. this doesn,t always result in a godd seating of the extractor on the rounds rim. this may cause a fte situation on occasion. allways chamber a round using the magazine and then top off said magazine if desired. repeated loading of the same round can set back the bullet in some instances. if you must load and reload rotate the rounds you are using. i make it a point to shoot off the carry ammo i use after a period of time, keep fresh stuff in the gun. keep in mind it,s not just the feed ramp that can set bullets back, the chamber itself can also give you the same effect. the above applys to handguns as well as rifles, always load the weapon as it was designed and intended to be loaded.

(Indiana County)

You guys are fast - thank you. I have always known where the chamberd round ends up as I've read many threads on Glock unsupported chambers, especially the 40's. Thanks again for sharing I will change my ways. Steve

I've never had such a problem. I would not carry a pistol with an empty chamber.

(Luzerne County)

Red Dog you are correct.

(Franklin County)

I quess to me, it seemed quicker to lock the slide back and drop one in by hand rather than inserting a mag and racking the slide and dropping the mag again and trying to get the dreaded last round into a stiff mag.

Does the way that I do it have a lesser effect on the cartridge?
    The way you suggest puts undo stress on the extractor, and can lead to failure. Your method forces the 'hook' of the extractor to be forced over the rear lip of the casing to seat in the groove, instead of the round merely sliding straight up, allowing the extractor to slip into the groove where it is designed to catch.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast