Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Question What about safety glasses?

I'm new to handguns and ranges, and I see safety glasses are required for the classes and on the range. I have never had any safety glasses that worked over my regular glasses which I wear all the time. Prescription safety glasses are a couple hundred bux. There has to be a better solution. Any suggestions?

Thanks

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: What about safety glasses?

I always considered prescription glasses to be adequate eye protection when using a firearm. All it's for is to prevent anything flying into your eyes. You should be fine just using them.

Safety glasses are a must and a definite must if you reload. WM has over the glasses sun and safety glasses for around $20. Check out Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops, Natchez Supply, and Cheaper Than Dirt, as well. As said before, prescription glasses usually work well if they cover enough of your eye. I wear the over the glasses sun glasses from WM and they work great. $20.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Bucks County)

If I were you, I would find something that works. Although prescription eyeglasses will somewhat protect your eyes, you still risk damage to both your eyes and glasses. A good friend of mine had a shell eject and hit his very expensive prescription eyeglasses. Although his eye was protected, the lens in his glasses was scratched/chipped.

(Montgomery County)

You could wear your own daily prescription glasses, yet if something hits them you are looking at replacing them which is pricey. Furthermore, your daily glasses are probably not ballistic rated and you may be injured as well as having your glasses destroyed. I do not know about you, but my eyes are worth more than a few hundred bucks to me.

One less expensive resolution is to wear contacts and ANSI rated eye protection. This is the option I take as my daily wear glasses cost much more than most peoples handguns.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Bradford County)

i am sure if you go to home depot, or lows or something you could find a pair that will fit over your prescription glasses, for a reasonable price. the other options stated as far as contacts and regular safety glassed or prescription safety glasses. although costly (and i have yet to afford them), i will be going to prescription safety glasses in time.

(Montgomery County)

Personally, I'd never laugh at someone wearing big safety goggles on top of their prescription glasses. Do what you need to do to protect your eyes and glasses. Safety before fashion in my book. Buy prescription safety glasses once you feel range visits justify the expense.
    http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg142/C5-pilot/Sigs/AllysAmazingAmmo03a.jpg

(Allegheny County)

I tried the "over my glasses" game for a while - hated it.
    I then just wore my regular glasses figuring it was better than nothing. Eventually I got tired of worrying about getting my prescription glasses damaged and got a set of prescription sunglasses to wear for shooting. They fit much closer to the face, thus helping to prevent flying objects from entering from the sides.

If nobody has mentioned it yet, it's always a good idea to wear a hat with a brim to prevent any hot brass from falling down from above and getting between your lens and your eye. (that happened to me ONCE. I was not wearing a hat)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I tried the "over my glasses" game for a while - hated it.
    I then just wore my regular glasses figuring it was better than nothing. Eventually I got tired of worrying about getting my prescription glasses damaged and got a set of prescription sunglasses to wear for shooting. They fit much closer to the face, thus helping to prevent flying objects from entering from the sides.

If nobody has mentioned it yet, it's always a good idea to wear a hat with a brim to prevent any hot brass from falling down from above and getting between your lens and your eye. (that happened to me ONCE. I was not wearing a hat)
    Yeah, I have a pair of over the glasses safety glasses and they are extemely uncomfortable, not only sitting on my head but they mess up my vision. I don't know if it's glare from off the safety glasses or what.

(Lawrence County)

Regular eyeglasses are usually fine. It used to be that they were glass and not so good. These days, many are lightweight poly and just as good as plastic safety glasses. I had my optometrist cut me some lightweight, frameless poly's in a custom tint for just over $100.

Lycanyou'refinethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast