Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Carrying while out of Pennsylvania experience

Let me take a stab at this one. Was wondering if anyone has had an experience with LEO while OUT of state in a state we have reciprocity? If so, what was your experience when you had to produce a PA LTCF or your non resident other state LTCF? I am curious as to what lead to the encounter and how it was resolved and the demeanor/knowledge of the LEO. Thanks!!
    My GGG Grandpappy,front row (20th NC, Co. F.) and Family Circa 1900.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Carrying while out of Pennsylvania experience

I was in NC with a VA permit, pulled over by a local on NC168 coming back from OBX -was reminded it is a "shall inform" state. oops, but he was cool- I got it right out then, he looked at it noted it was valid, said just remember next time, and have a safe trip.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

I was also pulled over in 2009 by a NC state trooper for not wearing my seatbelt on NC39 (Primary Offense for a pullover). *D'oh!!!* I produced my PA LTCF right away with my other documentation, and the trooper and I talked guns for about 15 minutes, like what I was carrying, his/my favorite handguns, etc. He let me off on the seatbelt charge with a warning and told me to have a nice day. I went on my merry way, as did he. A little later the same day, I saw him again on the same road and he recognized me and waved as I passed and I waved back. It was an extremely positive encounter.

"shall inform" does that mean you tell cops as soon as they approach you? Anyone know if PA or delaware have that. Someone told me you just tell them you are armed if they ask or if they ask you to step out of the vehicle.

On a side not with out of state. I dont have my permits yet, but in reading one thing seems clear. Many cops dont know the law. There are several in delaware who are not aware that open carry ( with few exceptions like post offices, the city of dover, and parks) is legal. Many will ask for a permit and get ticked when you inform them you dont need one to oc. I figure the same might happen with a recipricosity agreement. My best advice would be to keep a copy of the law with you or inform them to call their duty seargent in a nice way.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog46 View Post
    "shall inform" does that mean you tell cops as soon as they approach you? Anyone know if PA or delaware have that.Someone told me you just tell them you are armed if they ask or if they ask you to step out of the vehicle.

Pa & De are not must inform states.

The following is a link to a site with good info for reference, just click the state you want info about on the map.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Of course your real best bet is to look up the state in question directly for any gun laws.

On a side not with out of state. I dont have my permits yet, but in reading one thing seems clear. Many cops dont know the law. There are several in delaware who are not aware that open carry ( with few exceptions like post offices, the city of dover, and parks) is legal. Many will ask for a permit and get ticked when you inform them you dont need one to oc. I figure the same might happen with a recipricosity agreement.
    My best advice would be to keep a copy of the law with you or inform them to call their duty seargent in a nice way.

The only state I find myself in frequently outside of Pa where I can still carry (Utah CWP) is Delaware, I keep a copy of Delaware's reciprocity agreement in my wallet. Of course it's just a piece of paper and whether or not a cop accepts it ... well I just hope they know the law without needing the paper.

"shall inform" does that mean you tell cops as soon as they approach you? Anyone know if PA or delaware have that. Someone told me you just tell them you are armed if they ask or if they ask you to step out of the vehicle.
    The exact language varies depending on the state but, in general, "shall inform" means that you must inform the officer immediately ... he doesn't have to ask.

Also in general, "shall inform" laws typically require that you inform only if you have a license/permit AND are carrying. If you have a license or permit but aren't carrying when stopped, I don't think any state requires that you inform the officer you have a license but aren't using it. That would be sort of like a cop talking to you on the sidewalk and you volunteer that you have a driver's license.

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post

The only state I find myself in frequently outside of Pa where I can still carry (Utah CWP) is Delaware, I keep a copy of Delaware's reciprocity agreement in my wallet. Of course it's just a piece of paper and whether or not a cop accepts it ... well I just hope they know the law without needing the paper.
    It's from the AG's web site I hope. If it is, I think it should have a little weight. They can look it up.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by radnor View Post
    It's from the AG's web site I hope. If it is, I think it should have a little weight. They can look it up.
    The very one. I use places like "handgunlaw.us" for quick reference but I only rely on info directly from the horses mouth.

(Armstrong County)

yeah, when i do drive to visit my folks in minnesota i'll be constantly paranoid. good to know... great question! i'll let you boys know if anything happens.

(Butler County)

I drove thru a drunk check in Ohio on a UT permit. Because of the fun that is shall-notify, it took 30 seconds longer than it needed to (for me to dig out my UT license) and explain to the curious cop why a PA resident would be carrying a Utah permit--"why, to carry in Ohio, of course."

Never had an experience of note with a PA reciprocity state.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast