Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default help understanding transport regs

i recently purchased my first pistol and have not yet received my LTC, however i will be going away to our property upstate this weekend for the long weekend and figured it would be a perfect time to learn my new gun and get some range time in. However after reading several threads on here i am somewhat confused as to the legality of transporting my gun there from down home. i had always been told to seperate the ammo and gun as far away as possible from me and eachother if i transported it but reading on here says that i can only transport it from the range to my house or vise versa, but since ill be transporting from home to the property to camp and while there practice.
    any help would be appreciated, really kinda bummed if i cant transport to do that buts a dimmer on my weekend.

Default Re: help understanding transport regs

Separate the ammo from the weapon.
    Have a good time.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by orangejeep54 View Post
    i recently purchased my first pistol and have not yet received my LTC,
    Have you gone to the Sheriff's Office and filled out the paperwork? I'm not sure where you're from or what your county's procedure is but from what I understand the LTCF application is pretty painless. You should be able to leave the office with your LTCF in a few minutes. Obviously you won't be able to get one over the holiday weekend but I'd go ahead and get it ASAP to avoid these types of situations in the future.

Unless your county is ridiculously Nazi toward LTCFs it shouldn't be a painful process. Just my two cents...
    "Improvise. Adapt. Overcome."

(Delaware County)

He's in Delco. I believe that a range bag is usually considered meeting the two separate compartment requirement. I wouldn't load any ammo into the mags and carry the ammo separately (still boxed). Keep the pistol, ammo and mags is different compartments of the bag. You can pick one up at Targetmasters for 30 or 40 bucks. Your going to need one eventually.

IANAL.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

Assuming you're talking about handgun ("firearms" as defined in this section), unloaded and locked in the trunk is ok. The actual statute is:

§ 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license:
    ...(b) Exceptions
    ...(8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not
    loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase
    to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair,
    sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business,
    or in moving from one place of abode or business to another
    or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or
    dwelling or back
    , or to recover stolen property...
    This wouldn't apply if you were staying in a hotel, but since this is your vacation property you're fine. Hopefully we can get this ridiculous restriction repealed soon. As far as getting an LTCF on-the-spot, it won't happen in Delaware County. As I recall, they routinely call your references and your employer.

If it's a long gun, then it's just unloaded and ammo separate as noted above. I'm also assuming your vacation home is in PA. If it's in one of the Peoples' Republics, don't even think about taking a handgun along.
    Last edited by donm; July 1st, 2011 at 07:48 AM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    Assuming you're talking about handgun ("firearms" as defined in this section), unloaded and locked in the trunk is ok. The actual statute is:

This wouldn't apply if you were staying in a hotel, but since this is your vacation property you're fine. Hopefully we can get this ridiculous restriction repealed soon.
    But he can't stop anywhere between his home and his recreational home, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    But he can't stop anywhere between his home and his recreational home, correct?
    The general consensus is that you can make reasonable stops for gas and food, but not overnight or a visit to grandma's house. I'd be pretty comfortable with that here.

Carrying through (not to) the Peoples' Republics (NJ, NY, MD) under FOPA, I would avoid any stops if possible (or even make eye contact for that matter) until I reached a "free" state.

(Berks County)

The general consensus is that you can make reasonable stops for gas and food, but not overnight or a visit to grandma's house. I'd be pretty comfortable with that here.

Carrying through (not to) the Peoples' Republics (NJ, NY, MD) under FOPA, I would avoid any stops if possible (or even make eye contact for that matter) until I reached a "free" state.
    I've always heard that there's caselaw supporting a conviction for someone, carrying under one of the exceptions to 6106(b), who made a stop along the trip for food/gas/whatever. But I've never actually seen any of these cases

(Allegheny County)

Fill out and mail in/drop off your LTCF application ASAP! Even if you have no intention of carrying. It's a one page form. I'm not sure if all counties have dropped there prices down to $20 from $25 or not. But that is $20-25 of get out of jail free insurance for transporting your firearms that is good for five years. Then if/when you do decide to carry you already have it, no waiting.

The cases I've seen were convictions for food stops. I haven't seen any gas stop convictions.

Get the LTCF, and until it arrives play it very safe. A conviction is AT LEAST a misdemeanor 1, and could be a felony if the pending LTCF application is denied. An m-1 conviction is a lifetime firearm prohibitor.

If it were me, I'd go directly to the vacation property, I'd keep the ammo separate from the mags and separate from the gun. I'd probably field strip the gun for the trip. Make the evidence the least tempting as possible for any anti-gun cop or DA, have a collection of gun parts and distributed ammo and mags, in the trunk or in a locked case other than the glove box or console (this gives your lawyer some options under the 1986 FOPA.)
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast