Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face need help picking my first hunting rifle

im not sure about my first hunting rifle my freind is big on guns and he say's that the dpms LR 308 might be about the right size for me but i havent shot barely any guns all i own is a marlin .22 rifle.. im only 13 and havent gone hunting before so i hope you can suggest a all around good rifle thank you .

(Centre County)

Default Re: need help picking my first hunting rifle

1. You need to talk to your father or other adult family member that hunts. Express your interest, ask their thoughts, ask for advice.

2. You must take the PA hunters safety course to be able to get a license (when the time comes).

3. Forget the DPMS 308, it is not legal to hunt with in PA. Learn what you can and cannot use in PA to hunt with.

4. Take the PA Hunter Safety Course

5. Read, get a copy of the book that comes with a hunting license, read it.

6. Take the PA Hunter Safety Course

7. Determine what you are going to hunt for and where you are going to hunt. The game you are hunting can/will dictate what type of gun you need. What is the terrain where you are going to hunt? Many times the terrain dictates what type of rifle/shotgun you need.

8. Read everything you can get your hands on about hunting/guns.

9. Oh, and you will need to take the PA Hunter Safety Course before you can get a hunting license.

10. Keep perusing the PaFOA forum and ask questions.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Westmoreland County)

Noob, I see that you are from Oregon. You must know that in PA, we are not permitted to hunt with Semi-Auto rifles and pistols. Good advice given by Xringshooter to get with family members and the people that you are going to hunt with in order to get the best advice.

My first year hunting, I borrowed a rifle, a Ruger .30-06 bolt. I looked around the deer camp and the guns were 5 .30-06, 1 .270, 1 .308, and 1 .243. No surprise, I bought a .30-06 the following year.

Good luck in your research, and welcome to the brotherhood of hunters.
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by noobhunter553 View Post
    im not sure about my first hunting rifle my freind is big on guns and he say's that the dpms LR 308 might be about the right size for me but i havent shot barely any guns all i own is a marlin .22 rifle.. im only 13 and havent gone hunting before so i hope you can suggest a all around good rifle thank you .
    Please consider taking a hunter safety course if it is not mandatory in Oregon.

You might also try visiting a local shooting range. More often than not you'll find people there willing to answer questions that you have and might even be willing to let you try a shot with their firearms. Or get your friend that is into guns to take you out to a range if he has firearms you can try.

Personally I find bolt action rifles a better choice for most large game hunting. Their accuracy is hard to match at distance and they generally hold plenty of ammo for any game shooting chance you might have. I can't think of any hunting situation I've been in where I could have really used a 30 round magazine.

While a .30-06 is definately a popular big game cartridge it also tens to have higher recoil than a .308, .270 or other common hunting calibers. Again see if you can shoot one before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by noobhunter553 View Post
    What do you plan on hunting? At what distance will you be shooting?

ETA: Keep shooting that .22, learn trigger control, breathing and follow thru...
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but, because of the people who do nothing about them."
    - Albert Einstein

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    1. You need to talk to your father or other adult family member that hunts. Express your interest, ask their thoughts, ask for advice.

2. You must take the PA hunters safety course to be able to get a license (when the time comes).

3. Forget the DPMS 308, it is not legal to hunt with in PA. Learn what you can and cannot use in PA to hunt with.

4. Take the PA Hunter Safety Course

5. Read, get a copy of the book that comes with a hunting license, read it.

6. Take the PA Hunter Safety Course

7. Determine what you are going to hunt for and where you are going to hunt. The game you are hunting can/will dictate what type of gun you need. What is the terrain where you are going to hunt? Many times the terrain dictates what type of rifle/shotgun you need.

8. Read everything you can get your hands on about hunting/guns.

9. Oh, and you will need to take the PA Hunter Safety Course before you can get a hunting license.

10. Keep perusing the PaFOA forum and ask questions.

won't he also need to hunt with an adult, being that he is 13. i haven't hunted since i was 16. many years ago.

i have already passed my hunters safty course and talked to my dad about it his first gun was a savage .30 but i need a gun for me that is the right size but i cant think of one .

(Allegheny County)

Noobhunter553,

It's difficult with internet chat to get a good feel for a first rifle.

We would need to know your physical size and weight. I would consider this for how much recoil your body could absorb.

If this is only going to be a "beginner rifle", I would stick with a smaller caliber. Something that wouldn't make you flinch when you shoot it.
    Some thing like a .243 or 30-30 comes to mind. Have someone in a gunshop "fit it for you". You may need a shorter stock to be able to hold the rifle properly.

I would consider more input from people you know and maybe shoot with to let you use their guns to see what might fit you the best.

Downside to a "beginner rifle", you may grow out of it in a year or two and need to modify the stock or get a new one.

Good luck with finding something that is best for you and that you can shoot well.( I went with a pump gun as I was only familiar with shooting a pump shotgun to that point)

When you do practice with your new gun, shoot it off a rest to verify zero but practice offhand, sitting, leaning against a solid object (you get the idea). Practice how you will actually hunt. Sitting, standing, walking.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

well im about 5feet 4 inches and medium build..

Since you didn't answer my questions I'm going to ASSume your hunting deer.

I'd go with a savage 30-30 bolt action rifle. They don't make them any more (I don't think) but they are out there used and semi cheap in cost.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but, because of the people who do nothing about them."
    - Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast