Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Going to French Creek Outfitters Soon, Need Advise

Hi Everyone,
    I have been lurking here quite some time because I've been thinking about getting into shooting. I shot recurve pretty competitively with JOADD when I was in high school and was thinking about getting back into marksmanship, but in a different direction.

Based on all the advice I've read, French Creek Outfitters is a great place close to me (King of Prussia) to rent some different guns and try them out. I do not, however have any actual firing experience beyond shooting 22 rifles in the woods at tin cans in the boy scouts.

Should I search out a class first, or will FCO give me a good enough run down in terms of safety procedures, how to clear the gun, etc before I rent?

If I need a class what's a good place?
    I'm just graduating college this summer, so I don't have a ton of money, but I've set some aside.
    I want to shoot pistols, and I'm leaning towards revolvers if that helps at all.

PS I'd also be willing to go to TargetMasters down in Chaddsford if that is a better option (about 5 mins further away)

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    Last edited by snarkyRTL; June 30th, 2011 at 07:04 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Going to French Creek Outfitters Soon, Need Advise

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the decision to get into shooting. While you can go and rent a gun without any training (and the RSO at the range SHOULD give you a safety briefing and go over basic operation of the firearm before letting you shoot), I highly recommend an NRA Basic Pistol course, First Steps course or some other instruction. Even just getting together with a friend who shoots regularly (or with forum members who go to FCO), you can learn a lot. It's been awhile since I've been to FCO, but if I remember correctly they do offer instruction, either one-on-one or in a class. Call them at 610-933-7200 to see what they offer, how much it costs, etc. You also can search for NRA Basic Pistol and other courses at http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx . Good luck and good shooting!

(Allegheny County)

French Creek is definitely a great place to shoot, and where i shot my first pistol, although the range officer with the lazy eye can be a real douche. Their prices are also fairly reasonable compared to many places. I would avoid Targetmaster though, I've had some very bad experiences with them.

(Chester County)

FCO does offer one-on-one sessions. I've never taken one, but I've seen them in there with others.

If you don't want to shell out the cash for that, they will certainly run down the safety procedures before you are allowed to shoot. They will certainly explain how to use the gun you rent... but they probably won't go into things like proper sight picture.

Enjoy

(Montgomery County)

Hello and welcome. I am in King of Prussia also and if you like you can go shooting with me at my club. It is private and I can get you in as a guest at no cost to you. I could also show you some safety issues and show you a little about shooting a gun. If interested let me know via email. Congratulations on your decision.
    E FLUCTIBUS IRRUIT IN HOSTEM. AECIDAE TELO IACET LIBATIS.