Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bedford County)

Default Starting a pistol fund.

Starting a "New pistol piggy bank" and I'm torn on the choices I've seen in my price range. So what I'm thinking here is to get your input in both my list of possible semi-autos and possible revolvers to better aid my decision making progress. Looking for possible pocket carry options in the $550ish region. (Note: I can only afford one for now, as much as I'd like more than that.)

Now so far on the semi-auto side of things my favorites include the Beretta Px4, Glock 27, Springfield XDm(9mm), and both the Ruger LC9 and SR9c.

As for the revolvers I'm seriously considering the Ruger SP101 .327(Not entirely sure what to think of this caliber yet), S&W 640(A little outta range but possible), and the Ruger LCR in .357.

I would appreciate all opinions/suggestions/words of advice.
    Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish.

(Bradford County)

Default Re: Starting a pistol fund.

Quote Originally Posted by Zakesque View Post
    Starting a "New pistol piggy bank" and I'm torn on the choices I've seen in my price range. So what I'm thinking here is to get your input in both my list of possible semi-autos and possible revolvers to better aid my decision making progress. Looking for possible pocket carry options in the $550ish region. (Note: I can only afford one for now, as much as I'd like more than that.)

Now so far on the semi-auto side of things my favorites include the Beretta Px4, Glock 27, Springfield XDm(9mm), and both the Ruger LC9 and SR9c.

As for the revolvers I'm seriously considering the Ruger SP101 .327(Not entirely sure what to think of this caliber yet), S&W 640(A little outta range but possible), and the Ruger LCR in .357.

how big are your pockets?, are we talking jean pockets, coat pockets, etc. some of them may be smaller then their conter parts, but not small enough (in my opinion) to be a pocket pistol except in winter months with a heavy coat.

(Delaware County)

You have some good guns on your list there. I suggest you get to a range and rent some of them to see what works right for you. You could also ask any buddies who own them if you could tag along to the range with them.
    One more thing I would like to suggest is don't rule out a used gun. There are some great deals out there.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Heart View Post
    how big are your pockets?, are we talking jean pockets, coat pockets, etc. some of them may be smaller then their conter parts, but not small enough (in my opinion) to be a pocket pistol except in winter months with a heavy coat.
    I was thinking the same thing... I have a G27 and there is no way I can pocket carry that gun... Out of what you got there that would fit in a normal pocket - Ruger LC9, in my opinion...

(Montgomery County)

I'm not familiar with all the guns listed, but what I will tell you is this. I have a Glock 26 which is the same size as the Glock 27. I've also owned an Xd at one point. I tried to pocket carry and had found them to be uncomfortable.

My personal recommendation in a semi is the smaller and lighter the better. I'd lean more towards a gun with a single stack mag. You'll prob only get 6 or 7 rounds, but that's what your extra mag is for. I think the ruger Lc9 is a good choice. Also look into a Kel Tec PF9.

Lastly, if you're going to pocket carry, make sure the gun has a fairly heavy trigger pull. You wouldn't want an AD caused by your keys, chapstick, condem, etc. bumping the trigger back.
    I would rather die in a shootout than get assassinated in a "gun free zone"

(Bedford County)

the keltec PF9 is on my list of purchases, they are very well priced and seem to get quite good reviews from the members on this forum. I would check them out as well as the others.. not sure you can really go wrong
    I am not a lawyer !!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonK007 View Post
    I'm not familiar with all the guns listed, but what I will tell you is this. I have a Glock 26 which is the same size as the Glock 27. I've also owned an Xd at one point. I tried to pocket carry and had found them to be uncomfortable.

My personal recommendation in a semi is the smaller and lighter the better. I'd lean more towards a gun with a single stack mag. You'll prob only get 6 or 7 rounds, but that's what your extra mag is for. I think the ruger Lc9 is a good choice. Also look into a Kel Tec PF9.

Lastly, if you're going to pocket carry, make sure the gun has a fairly heavy trigger pull. You wouldn't want an AD caused by your keys, chapstick, condem, etc. bumping the trigger back.
    That and probably no bigger than a 3" barrel. My Kahr CW40 isn't very comfy in the pocket - however I am looking at the CM9 which should work and would be under $550. As long as its made like all the other Kahrs, this would be one worth looking into. If you type it into the search bar, another member did a quick review and range report on it.

(Allegheny County)

I had my credit card out and was ready to donate, but couldn't find any info for said "fund".

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Mifflin County)

I had the Ruger LC9 and SR9C on my list. However, earlier this month, I purchased a Gen 4 Glock 19. I'm still looking at the LC9 for summer carry and currently you can purchase an LC9 from the Kentucky Gun Co for $339.99 free shipping and no tax. You will need to find a FFL near you that will handle the transfer for you. In my area they charge between $20 and $35 for the background check and transfer.

I agree that, if possible, you should try shooting the guns on your list. My dilemma, I live in central PA and there are no ranges that rent. I found one in the Phila (3.5 hour drive) area and in York (2 hour drive). If anyone knows of others please post them.

There is not a lot of size difference between the two Rugers. The SR9C has a better trigger, imo. However, if you want to pocket carry the LC9 has a safety and very long trigger pull. So, as mentioned above, it should not cause a AD. I would, however, use a pocket holster just to be sure

Let us know what you decide.

Mike

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zakesque View Post

Personally I have shot the PX4 and the XDm(9mm) and did not like either. I did not like the way the PX4 felt in my hand and it felt unnatural to align the sights. Also I did not care for the trigger slack. The XDm as with other glocks I shot felt boxy in my hand, also the XD have a high bore axis and felt less controllable. I have never shot the compact glocks. I like the glocks for there trigger in that type of firearm but they like the XD also did not feel connected in my hand. I've held the LC9 and it feels ok. But I would not buy it due to the internal lock, magazine disconnect, external safety, and mechanical loaded chamber indicator.

I've never held or shot the SR9c or any of the revolvers you mentioned.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast