Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting range?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Shooting range?

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    Unfortunately we do not have many options.
    I often wanted to get a group together that would be large enough to reserve the PA Game Commission range in Archbald or Sweet Valley for the day. This way you know it would be all responsible shooters and no worries of knuckleheads like you sometimes get.

It would be a great opportunity to socialize as well. I don't know anyone on the forum from my area.

(Lackawanna County)

i would definately join in on a closed pafoa only range day!

(Luzerne County)

Although I am interested in joining the private range discussed above I think a private range day at a public range would be a good ice breaker for a lot of guys up hear in the northeast.

The PAGC site does not designate a group size to reserve the range only a 20 day lead time. I will call and get more info if anyone is interested in going maybe a weekend in September.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brudog View Post
    Although I am interested in joining the private range discussed above I think a private range day at a public range would be a good ice breaker for a lot of guys up hear in the northeast.

The PAGC site does not designate a group size to reserve the range only a 20 day lead time. I will call and get more info if anyone is interested in going maybe a weekend in September.
    Always interested. There ar two things that affect my going to the "public range". My work scheduale and the need for the permit.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Luzerne County)

I wonder if a range permit would be needed for a group reserving the range.

Also, make sure you check the date you planon reserving the range. I think the cut-off is October?? Meaning, come October the ranges cannot be reserved due to the increase of use by hunters.

My in-laws live between Alden and Wanamie, near Piestraks gun store, and the open land (former coal mines) around them is owned by "Earth Conservancy". Is there any public land in this area where you can shoot legally? I have done some searching and it seems that some of that Earth Conservancy land is under PGC authority so my understanding is target shooting would not be permitted on what appears to be thousands of acres of unused land.

Out in the western states, the Bureau of Land Management permits recreational shooting on the federal lands. Anything like that exist near Nanticoke? It certainly would make the visits to the in-laws a lot more fun if I could sneak off to do some plinking. Thanks.

(Luzerne County)

It is a bit of a drive for me but I might follow up.
    Whitetail Preserve is an excellent facility in the same area. They don't advertise it but they do have a rifle and pistol range. You just pay for the time you shoot. I can't remember the exact rate but the last time I went it was $50 for 4 people shooting 2 hours.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brudog View Post
    I often wanted to get a group together that would be large enough to reserve the PA Game Commission range in Archbald or Sweet Valley for the day. This way you know it would be all responsible shooters and no worries of knuckleheads like you sometimes get.

It would be a great opportunity to socialize as well. I don't know anyone on the forum from my area.
    Archabald I've been to quite a bit.... Sweet Valley, never heard of it..wheres it located & is it better kept than Archabald?

at this point though a get-together at archabald range would be like a family picnic at the dump...they really let it go!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by moonclip View Post
    Archabald I've been to quite a bit.... Sweet Valley, never heard of it..wheres it located & is it better kept than Archabald?

at this point though a get-together at archabald range would be like a family picnic at the dump...they really let it go!
    Sweet Valley is near Nanticoke. You can also get there through Dallas. I have heard that it is nice. I have not shot there.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lackawanna County)

Sweet Valley is near Nanticoke. You can also get there through Dallas. I have heard that it is nice. I have not shot there.
    I'll have to check it out!

gimme a shout out if & when you go, mabey we can meet up!

peace out`.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12