Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default AR-15 optics questions

Since AR15.com doesn't want me to post questions on their forum, I guess my only choice is to ask here.

I'm looking for budget optics - leaning towards Primary Arms optics atm. I just built my first AR-15 (1st owned AR-15 also).

I'm kind of torn between a red dot sight with a magnifier and a 1-4x scope. I've never used either type of scope before, just regular old hunting rifle type scopes and a cheap reflex sight. What kinds of advantages and disadvantages can you give me between the 2?

Max range will most likely be 100 yards and just range plinking unless PA changes it's hunting laws. My AR has a 16" mid-length barrel, 12" quad rail, Magpul MBUS front and rear sights. I also wear glasses if that makes any kind of difference.

Oh, and don't even bother saying Aimpoint, Trijicon, Eotech, or any of those expensive brands. That was the 1st and only response I got on ar15.com before the thread was closed. If I was looking for one of those, I wouldn't be posting this thread.
    Last edited by WWGunslinger; June 27th, 2011 at 10:54 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: AR-15 optics questions

I got the same question. With some of the same issues.
    Money
    Glasses
    NEVER used a scope

but have a AR with carry handle and no rails
    its 20" bbl and I want to shoot to 300+ meters
    It takes 40 muscles to frown, but only 4 to pull the trigger on a decent sniper rifle.

(Lancaster County)

I think there is a company called vortex that makes optics. They have some nice stuff at a good price. Other than that, I have used the BSA stealth scope red dot on an AR before and it worked. Just about anyt half decent red dot will do. If you are looking for an okay scope for real good value, check out Bushnell, and Nikons lower end stuff. If you want something even cheaper and "tacticool" then check out BSA scopes, and also Barska. They aren't the most durable, or reliable or best lens in the world, but they work, for a while.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Allegheny County)

The actual scope will offer greater clarity, but limit fov. It will also allow for a greater range of adjustment. The rds w/magnifier will offer more versatility. Mainly when you take the magnification off. Then the plain rds will be quick, with an unencumbered fov.

They both will basically do the same thing though.

(Lancaster County)

It is REALLY hard to go wrong with an EOtech for the money. They are a great optic, even for out to 200-300 meters. If you don't want to spend the money on one, that is fine, this is jmo.

Stay away from the Aimpoint M68s though, again, JMO.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Beaver County)

I use a primary arms m4 red dot and i love it. Havent got around to ordering the 5x magnifier yet but i will. Imo the m4 red dot is worth it.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by SharpShooter88 View Post
    It is REALLY hard to go wrong with an EOtech for the money. They are a great optic, even for out to 200-300 meters. If you don't want to spend the money on one, that is fine, this is jmo.

Stay away from the Aimpoint M68s though, again, JMO.
    well here's a problem i have with that - i'm not sure what i want so even if i had the money to spend on eotech or aimpoint, if I don't like it, I'll be out a ton of money.

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    well here's a problem i have with that - i'm not sure what i want so even if i had the money to spend on eotech or aimpoint, if I don't like it, I'll be out a ton of money.
    is there any shops you could check one out installed on a rifle?, i was skeptic about it as well, because i have glasses, and a left eye, right hand issue, and the Eotech (at least the one i checked out at a local shop), seemed to me the right choice, i can shoot with both eyes open, and to me it feels natural. i do not feel like i am concentrating on the sight but more the target, with checking it out, to me, i seen the value on it and one will be going on my AR, once it is finished. But i would suggest checking one out already installed if you can. but i know money it tight as well. but depending on your planned use for it, it may just be an unjustified cost.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Heart View Post
    is there any shops you could check one out installed on a rifle?, i was skeptic about it as well, because i have glasses, and a left eye, right hand issue, and the Eotech (at least the one i checked out at a local shop), seemed to me the right choice, i can shoot with both eyes open, and to me it feels natural. i do not feel like i am concentrating on the sight but more the target, with checking it out, to me, i seen the value on it and one will be going on my AR, once it is finished. But i would suggest checking one out already installed if you can. but i know money it tight as well. but depending on your planned use for it, it may just be an unjustified cost.
    Does Gander Mountain or Dick's carry them? I don't know of any local shops that would carry them. Most shops around here specialize in hunting rifles, not this kind of stuff.

Also, for my purposes I think it will be an unjustified cost. It's just plinking at the range. I'm not in the military, I'm not a private contractor, I don't do run and gun type stuff or competitions. It will be off hand or on a bench shooting at paper. I don't need a $600 optic to do that.

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    Does Gander Mountain or Dick's carry them? I don't know of any local shops that would carry them. Most shops around here specialize in hunting rifles, not this kind of stuff.
    to be honest i do not know, only Dick's i been in was in Binghamton NY, (closest one to my location, but to over priced for my liking), anyway, one of my local shops is a Bushmaster seller so they generally have AR's on the shelves, but they also keep a few of their own various guns in the shop for demo purposes, Maybe someone here is local to you that has one, that may be willing to meet up with you somewhere for you to check it out?.

Understandable on your purposes for your AR. my ar will be used for some HD, range, maybe some courses, (if money permits), but it was a natural feeling to me when i checked it out, i gawked at the price at first as well, but once i had the chance to see it for myself, not someone els'es review, youtube, add, Etc. it was quicker and easier for me and my conditions. scopes and glasses are not fun, and the cost of a good scope can almost be the same for one of these, last scope i got for a rifle was $300+ and even then i still had the occasional issues of not being able to see through it right depending on situations.

ETA: i am not being a fanboy on this matter, i have had chances to check out some of the other options as well, but with glasses, they were hard to even see the dots/retical, Etc. taking longer for me to sight in, target, etc. the Eo was right there every time, with no issues due to my glasses, and eye issues.
    Last edited by Shadow Heart; June 28th, 2011 at 09:36 AM.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast