Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default Re: AR-15 optics questions

Quote Originally Posted by ishoot4fun View Post
    Gunslinger - I was only trying to over a viewpoint in a courteous manner. Sometimes when we seek knowledge, we learn something else or generate more questions. But I often see on this forum that people ask a question not in a true quest for information, but for validation upon an already decided action or product. I was just offering some thoughts and sorry if you took it the wrong way.
    Sorry, I'm just getting a little pissed off here because my questions aren't being answered and i'm getting responses that from people that seem to be on auto-pilot touting the best of the best when i already mentioned that i can't afford it and didn't want suggestions about those products.
    Last edited by WWGunslinger; June 28th, 2011 at 01:09 PM.

(Bradford County)

i was not trying to push anything to you overall, just giving you my overall thoughts on the subject. what you decide to to with it overall is your choice, you do not have to listen to any of us here or on any forums. do i think you will be able to find something under or around $200 that will do you fine for range plinking, SURE DO!.

however at least my position is, if the money is tight, then that in itself would justify saving up the extra for something you know has a better reputation. to be honest with you, the newness of my dearly departed glock 23 never wore off in the 4+ years of having it, the sights where the first thing to be changed because i needed something i knew without a doubt, 1. would work for me night or day, when i needed it not when it wanted to work, 2. be on the gun (old pinned front sight always fell off). 3. i was comfy with. you already spent a good chuck of money on the rifle. practice and get well with the irons. save up till your comfy, then re-address this option then. but i can not justify saying get this when i would not even consider it as an option. Just my opinion, and just like assholes, everyone has one. take what you want of it, (if any).

(Northumberland County)

i saw Leupold scopes and a BSA red dot at Walmart, for the prices your looking for , thats the best bet.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Heart View Post
    i was not trying to push anything to you overall, just giving you my overall thoughts on the subject. what you decide to to with it overall is your choice, you do not have to listen to any of us here or on any forums. do i think you will be able to find something under or around $200 that will do you fine for range plinking, SURE DO!.

however at least my position is, if the money is tight, then that in itself would justify saving up the extra for something you know has a better reputation. to be honest with you, the newness of my dearly departed glock 23 never wore off in the 4+ years of having it, the sights where the first thing to be changed because i needed something i knew without a doubt, 1. would work for me night or day, when i needed it not when it wanted to work, 2. be on the gun (old pinned front sight always fell off). 3. i was comfy with. you already spent a good chuck of money on the rifle. practice and get well with the irons. save up till your comfy, then re-address this option then. but i can not justify saying get this when i would not even consider it as an option. Just my opinion, and just like assholes, everyone has one. take what you want of it, (if any).
    Right, if I was trusting this rifle to save my life night and day, then yes, I would totally agree with all of you that getting a quality optic would be the best choice.

Hell, getting quality is always the best choice. But there's also a point where you need to balance quality and price. thats why these budget optics exist right? Not everyone can or wants to afford an aimpoint or eotech.

Like I said, I'd love to have one or the other but I can't justify the price for what I would be using it for.

You could also argue why I didn't go out and buy top tier AR to. If I'm going to spend money I might as well buy the top of the line. I think thats BS. If you have the money fine, but thats why there are the lower priced options - so people can have a choice.

I'm not rich, I try to balance price and quality when I can.

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    Right, if I was trusting this rifle to save my life night and day, then yes, I would totally agree with all of you that getting a quality optic would be the best choice.

Hell, getting quality is always the best choice. But there's also a point where you need to balance quality and price. thats why these budget optics exist right? Not everyone can or wants to afford an aimpoint or eotech.

Like I said, I'd love to have one or the other but I can't justify the price for what I would be using it for.

You could also argue why I didn't go out and buy top tier AR to. If I'm going to spend money I might as well buy the top of the line. I think thats BS. If you have the money fine, but thats why there are the lower priced options - so people can have a choice.

I'm not rich, I try to balance price and quality when I can.
    I agree with you, i am in the same boat as well, on disability for the last 2+ years, with no income other then Girlfriends right now, 6 kids, etc, but back in Jan of this year, the discussion of the AR was talked about between her and i, looking about for what i wanted in this and what was commercially available (off the shelf that is), and knowing how i am and my look on any gun i own. the best choice was to build it my way. i have all the parts listed who i am going to get them from, Etc. and trust me the choice on the barrel is where my heart ache is at, i want to go with Noveske, but that price tag is a hard chunk to swallow, however i have time right now, as i am still working on the lower parts for my lower. overall, and will be a while since most of the parts are out of stock, or back order only, this is not a cheap build. but i am personally not gonna do all this and go half ass'd optics on it. it would defeat the purpose overall.

But if you are sure this rifle is not gonna pull double duty, Range/HD, then i guess a lot of points may be moot, my overall stance it HD/SD is always #1 on my list regardless of my average intentions. I doubt i will ever own a "Safe Queen" weapon ever, I am just to poor to justify that. I did glance over that site you referenced. the stuff with their name on it, may do you fine, may do most people fine. but how a few things were referenced concerns me on the use on a .223/5.56mm platform. (have not read any reviews TBO).

(Allegheny County)

As the second poster....and looking for the same information that the OP is, I would say...... thanks fellas. I can't afford the greatest optic and I am getting too old to shoot with Iron, so I took what was said in the first few posts as direction and am now doing due diligence. Appreciate it.
    It takes 40 muscles to frown, but only 4 to pull the trigger on a decent sniper rifle.

(Perry County)

I've been reading lots of good reviews on the ar15.com forums regarding those primary arms optics. I don't think I've seen a bad review there (unless the mods delete bad reviews).

These people are using them on ARs, AKs, shotguns, etc and they are holding up well and holding zero.

They're not Aimpoints. They're not marketed as Aimpoints, and I know that.

(Allegheny County)

Lightbulb Re: AR-15 optics questions

Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    Did you even read my original post
    Yes.

or just automatically responded with AImpoint/Eotech?
    Technically, I responded with "Aimpoint, Leupold, Trijicon." I ran EOTech for a while - they seem like a GREAT product - but the holographic dots were too fuzzy with my Astigmatism. So I don't personally recommend them, because they don't work for me. They are a quality product, however.

Do you have any experience with the Primary Arms products?
    No.

Have you ever read anything about them?
    Yes. They're not up to snuff in the construction/accuracy department.

Seriously, I'm not talking about crosman red dots or walmart shit.
    Neither am I. CTD sells Magpul gear; they also sell UTG/Leapers. Just because they're in the same catalogue, doesn't make it "good" gear.

after reading/watching reviews, the primary arms products have stood up to a lot of abuse and and have kept zero. They don't seem like crap to me, but you seem to be under the impression that anything less than an eotech or aimpoint is garbage.
    I thought about going with a Primary Arms red dot on my AR-.22LR, but decided it wasn't comparable with my other optics, for which this project was to be a tactical trainer. So I went with a Trijicon RX30-23. NOW it has an Aimpoint Comp M(1) on it.

I like HITTING my target. To hit it, I have to SEE it. Better glass means better odds of hitting it. Period.

why put a $600 optic on something that will only get used a few times a year, for range plinking no less. If i was going over to afghanistan or doing training, etc, then i would see your point. But i'm not doing that stuff.
    I'm not going to Afghanistan. I'm not even going to Homewood. Sadly, I haven't been to a range since last fall. But if trouble comes, I'm zeroed and ready. And when I next go to the range, I'm zeroed and ready. And I don't need a Schmidt & Bender short dot, either. But my life & my loved ones are worth considerably more than $79. 95.

you've had a condescending attitude since your first post in this thread.
    Nope. I've had a, "trying-to-save-you-money-&-heartbreak" attitude, since I first read your post. A LOT of other people have, too. And I'm considerably nicer about it than the folks at M4Carbine.net and Snipershide forums would be about it - and those folks have FORGOTTEN more about optics than I'll probably ever know. Read THEIR posts; read ANY of my other posts on this topic here, or on a dozen other forums. It is ALWAYS the same.

READ of the heartbreak of people here and elsewhere, who cheaped out on optics, and are STILL kicking themselves over it. I DON'T have money to throw away - that's why I buy quality the first time, every time (now). I've LEARNED my lesson, but hey - P.T. Barnum's axiom is proved right for a reason, if you're willing to add to the legend.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Yes.

Technically, I responded with "Aimpoint, Leupold, Trijicon." I ran EOTech for a while - they seem like a GREAT product - but the holographic dots were too fuzzy with my Astigmatism. So I don't personally recommend them, because they don't work for me. They are a quality product, however.

No.

Yes. They're not up to snuff in the construction/accuracy department.

Neither am I. CTD sells Magpul gear; they also sell UTG/Leapers. Just because they're in the same catalogue, doesn't make it "good" gear.

I thought about going with a Primary Arms red dot on my AR-.22LR, but decided it wasn't comparable with my other optics, for which this project was to be a tactical trainer. So I went with a Trijicon RX30-23. NOW it has an Aimpoint Comp M(1) on it.

I like HITTING my target. To hit it, I have to SEE it. Better glass means better odds of hitting it. Period.

I'm not going to Afghanistan. I'm not even going to Homewood. Sadly, I haven't been to a range since last fall. But if trouble comes, I'm zeroed and ready. And when I next go to the range, I'm zeroed and ready. And I don't need a Schmidt & Bender short dot, either. But my life & my loved ones are worth considerably more than $79. 95.

Nope. I've had a, "trying-to-save-you-money-&-heartbreak" attitude, since I first read your post. A LOT of other people have, too. And I'm considerably nicer about it than the folks at M4Carbine.net and Snipershide forums would be about it - and those folks have FORGOTTEN more about optics than I'll probably ever know. Read THEIR posts; read ANY of my other posts on this topic here, or on a dozen other forums. It is ALWAYS the same.

READ of the heartbreak of people here and elsewhere, who cheaped out on optics, and are STILL kicking themselves over it. I DON'T have money to throw away - that's why I buy quality the first time, every time (now). I've LEARNED my lesson, but hey - P.T. Barnum's axiom is proved right for a reason, if you're willing to add to the legend.
    you make a lot of assumptions.

i haven't seen any reviews of primary arms optics say that they couldn't see their target, hit their target, that it lost zero, that it fell apart, etc. I haven't read one review that said they wished they'd bought a higher dollar optic over a primary arms optic.

you really like the thinly veiled insults, eh?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post

I'm not going to Afghanistan. I'm not even going to Homewood.
    BWAAAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

I can't afford good optics either but I do have to go to Homewood on occasion.
    It takes 40 muscles to frown, but only 4 to pull the trigger on a decent sniper rifle.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast