Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Cabela's SKS on sale. Good First SKS??

i have seen the ones at cabelas and they look rough.......blueing worn off and dented sight hoods......unless they got new ones in the ones they had last week i woud stay away from....

(York County)

No Yugos had chrome lined barrels. Yugoslavia has no natural deposits of Chromium Ore and the Soviet Union wouldn't sell them any. Since Yugo 7.62x39mm is the only corosive ammo available, and you're not likely to rapid fire several hundred rounds at one time, chances are you won't wear out the non chrome lined barrel. If you properly maintain it, a non chrome lined barrel isn't a problem. Just clean it immediately after firing corosive ammo.

Friend of mine who is a dealer told me he got a call from an importer this week, another sizable batch of Yugo SKS's are inbound to the US, expected here in August. Price will be determined based on the exchange rate of USD vs. Euro at the time they reach US soil.

FWIW, this may lower prices in the near future.
    Last edited by mp517prct; June 25th, 2011 at 10:58 PM. Reason: added info

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by mp517prct View Post
    No Yugos had chrome lined barrels. Yugoslavia has no natural deposits of Chromium Ore and the Soviet Union wouldn't sell them any. Since Yugo 7.62x39mm is the only corosive ammo available, and you're not likely to rapid fire several hundred rounds at one time, chances are you won't wear out the non chrome lined barrel. If you properly maintain it, a non chrome lined barrel isn't a problem. Just clean it immediately after firing corosive ammo.

Friend of mine who is a dealer told me he got a call from an importer this week, another sizable batch of Yugo SKS's are inbound to the US, expected here in August. Price will be determined based on the exchange rate of USD vs. Euro at the time they reach US soil.

FWIW, this may lower prices in the near future.

That is interesting. Thanks for the info on that!
    si vis pacem, para bellum

(Lehigh County)

I would have to agree with what was said earlier about the SKS rifles I have seen at cabellas. Try also looking at Classicarms or Aimsurplus. I think AIM just got some 59/66 arsenal refurbs in.

Rob

(Butler County)

I'm going to agree with every one else. Hold out for a Russian or Chinese. Better quality. Some of the Russian one's are really nice.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by bortle View Post
    I'm going to agree with every one else. Hold out for a Russian or Chinese. Better quality. Some of the Russian one's are really nice.

I don't know about Quality issues with Yugos. They are all milled unlike most Norincos. They do not have a chrome lined barrel but if your shooting non corrosive its a non issue, and if your shooting corrosive then just be sure to clean it and its a non issue. Compared to a russian the yugo has a rubber recoil pad, grenade launcher/ladder sight/Gas diversion valve. And the A1s either have some night sight option (usually dead).

My comment was the condition of them at Cabellas. While not terrible they are no where near "minty" either. And to be honest I wouldn't pay more then $150 for a norinco let alone a stamped norinco.

And let me add before I get flamed that the value of the Norinco will only go up because they can no longer be imported.... well I can't go more then a day without tripping over one at a show, gun shop, or private seller. They are everywhere and going nowhere fast... take that for what its worth.

my .02 cents

You know its hard for me to see paying as much as a MAK-47 for an SKS. My SKS is a chianese verison no where close to the quality of the Russian and Yogo rifles, its said. My rifle came in a ugly red fiberglass stock, its now in a black flberglass Dragonoff stock with a 6x scope mounted and can print 2.5"-4" groups at 100 yards about the same as its Russian/Yugo counterparts and been doing it for 10 years. My rifle cost $79, the only problem I have with that is that I should have and would have if i knew that those SKS rifles were this good, I would have bought 2 or 3.

I also would not have mounted the big Dragonoff stock (it looks good but not what this gun was made for) more like a light folding stock. I even like them in the Monte carlo rifle stocks.

But one thing for sure I can't see buy an SKS for $350-$400.

(Allegheny County)

G&J sales are having a sale on "basic" Yugo's $269.95

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info....oducts_id/4574

Hope this helps
    DODGE the father RAM the daughter

We bleed black & gold

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

With the understanding that there are a number of things to check over, it sounds like the general first choice quality-wise for an SKS is the Russian model, folowed by the Yugo model, followed by the Chinese variety. Has anyone purchased an SKS of Mosin Nagant from Sarco in Easton? If so, how was your experience with them? They had decent prices posted for Mosin's, but I didn't any SKS's advertised.
    ...and they have a plan...

(Allegheny County)

Myths..

- don't know about Quality issues with Yugos. They are all milled unlike most Norincos.
    - And to be honest I wouldn't pay more then $150 for a norinco let alone a stamped norinco
    - "ugly red stock"

The vast majority of "Norincos" are merely brand stampings on MILLED guns built in PLA-operated arsenals. The very first such arsenal was "26" established by the Russians for the CHICOM. A CHICOM is basically a Russian SKS with the CHICOM spiker bayo.

Very few CHICOM SKS were stamped guns; if you have one - it's a keeper as they are rarer than an honest PA politician.

Supposedly the Chinese introduced the red fiberglass stock due to jungle-rot in SEA. Again, a sought-after item.

Whatever.

Considering that East German, Albanian, Polish, Hungarian SKSs are uber-rare, your quality bets in easily-found SKSs are Russian, Chinese, Yugo, Romy.

Chances are those beat-to-shit-looking SKSs you seen were actually the un-refurbed Romys that were brought in.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast