Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Good/bad areas around Brodheadsville?

I imagine most of the Pocono's is a cesspool these days (sadly).
    If it were me and I landed a job at the depot I’d be looking north, maybe Wayne Co.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I imagine most of the Pocono's is a cesspool these days (sadly).
    If it were me and I landed a job at the depot I’d be looking north, maybe Wayne Co.
    It's definitely not what it used to be but it's not like the cities in the valley. When you consider the square miles, crime rate etc it's still a pretty good place to live, There are just a couple pockets of trouble you want to stay away from.

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    It's definitely not what it used to be but it's not like the cities in the valley. When you consider the square miles, crime rate etc it's still a pretty good place to live, There are just a couple pockets of trouble you want to stay away from.
    Sure it's better than the small cities and NJ , but it's only going to get worse. I prefer small "lazy" areas, and the Pocono's just isn't any of those things anymore. Certainly the current situation is not unique to your area.
    Last edited by God's Country; June 26th, 2011 at 09:00 PM.
    FUCK BIDEN

We've lived in the area for 20 years or so. I do like it here, but the taxes will make it impossible when we're older and "retired". If I'd be settling here again, I'd probably be looking west of Lehighton or at least somewhere outside of PV school district.

Fire coverage is great if you live close to a fire house (the guys do what they can with what they have). The state police are great for showing up after the fact to write up the report.(They're spread thin, but most people on this board can take care of themselves anyway). We do have access to major highways and I agree, 209 isn't a problem for the locals. I hardly even notice race weekend anymore. (in BHVille). I think everything you need or want is within a reasonable distance.

Quote Originally Posted by rayh059 View Post
    We've lived in the area for 20 years or so. I do like it here, but the taxes will make it impossible when we're older and "retired". If I'd be settling here again, I'd probably be looking west of Lehighton or at least somewhere outside of PV school district.
    Have to agree there! When we bought our house in 97 our total tax bill was about $800 a year. We are now at the $3200 range, a 4x increase since then.

Don't know how PV school district is but freaking Pocono Mtn. is WAY out of hand.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Have to agree there! When we bought our house in 97 our total tax bill was about $800 a year. We are now at the $3200 range, a 4x increase since then.

Don't know how PV school district is but freaking Pocono Mtn. is WAY out of hand.
    we are just as bad down here bud, they are actually closing schools because of a massive drop in enrollment... but all the bills for the new schools are still owed so a taxin we will go
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    we are just as bad down here bud, they are actually closing schools because of a massive drop in enrollment... but all the bills for the new schools are still owed so a taxin we will go
    The problem with many districts is the way taxes went up. Mine went up about 800 dollars since 1990. Not bad considering growth. As much as I hate the way school districts operate PV didn't do too bad. The reason you don't see many layoffs at PV is because they allowed the workforce to dwindle by attrition over the last 4 or 5 years. Closed buildings and rented them. Contracted busing saving huge monies and in summer work 4 long days instead of 5 so buildings could be shut down for 3 consecutive.
    Chectnuthill Township has done incredible in maintaining a low tax rate. We have a road crew of about 7 and they do a good job of taking care of over 150 miles of road.

It's not enough but a good start.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

I moved up to this area in 2005. I didn't see significant tax increases since then, but when I sold my house in Morrisville, Bucks County, the yearly tax amount for my buyer went up to $8,000 for an averaged size cape cod on a small lot! That was just before the Morrisville high school was found to have asbestos and one of the 2 elementary schools had its boiler blow up, which fortunately happened on a Saturday.
    ...and they have a plan...

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    your best friend is foreclosures :P there are a ton all over the place and yeah 200k+ up here is going to get you a nice chunk of real estate with a house on it that is pretty solid... prices around here have really crashed

you can get way more in carbon then monroe, no doubt about it. the closer you get to jersey the higher the prices go (generally speaking)

anything that says "gated community" should be avoided.
    Which gated communities have you heard bad things about? I'm curious too about what negative stuff you have heard about Indian Mountain Lakes. I am close to IML and it doesn't seem to be horrible, but I am open to differing points of view!

My only gripe about my community is the litterbugs. Some are great at throwing bags of trash on certain vacant lots. I recently did my own trash pickup and filled 6 trash bags. It wasn't what I expected living in one of the more sparse sections of my community. I run daily on those roads and I got tired of looking at the trash!
    ...and they have a plan...

Aside from taxes, there is crime, like anywhere. A bank or supermarket hold up once in awhile. Statistically, its more likely you'll be burglarized, I think I saw that on a real estate site not too long ago.

Usually just the typical 'bored teenager" stuff. Like anywhere, there are trade offs. The township does a good job on the roads, my garbage "bill" is about four bucks a month using the transfer station. Haven't had any problems getting a couple permits when needed. Coming here from Eldred, I'm actually thankful for permits.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast