Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Modern 1911s what does it take for them to shoot SWC?

Modern 1911s what does it take for them to shoot lead semi wadcutters? My Colt has thorating and polishes ramp and mod ejecdtor port its a 1978 buy. The Kimber shoots them sometimes but jams on them most time, the semi Customized Sam can't load from the mag after one shot. The Ruger I haven't tried it because its new and having problems with JHPs, as is common until broke in. These new gus ramp and barrel looks polish and opened up the ejector port are dimped. Why is it that they won't function with SWC ammo? I'm just wondering. Only the 30+ year old Colt.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Modern 1911s what does it take for them to shoot SWC?

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    Modern 1911s what does it take for them to shoot lead semi wadcutters? My Colt has thorating and polishes ramp and mod ejecdtor port its a 1978 buy. The Kimber shoots them sometimes but jams on them most time, the semi Customized Sam can't load from the mag after one shot. The Ruger I haven't tried it because its new and having problems with JHPs, as is common until broke in. These new gus ramp and barrel looks polish and opened up the ejector port are dimped. Why is it that they won't function with SWC ammo? I'm just wondering. Only the 30+ year old Colt.
    Its because most semi-autos are designed with FMJ's, and HP's with ogives that have a similar profile and radius as a FMJ. SWC's and truncated bullets simply dont have the proper profile for semi-autos, especially those designed for FMJ profiles. The shape of the bullet is considered in designing the feeding ramps, angles, and other things.

The SWC design in itself leads to feeding issues with its ledge at the base of it's truncated nose.

Some gun designs will feed SWC's with no issues, some take major work to make them cycle, some will never cycle them properly no matter how much work you do.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Never saw anyone attempt to run wad cutters through a semi. Save those for your revolver. JMHO
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Delaware County)

300WM, it's done quite often. With the right ammo, it's not an issue. As Knight stated, the 1911 is not really designed for this type of ammo,,,,,, but manufacturers of the ammo do make a difference.

Yes, I prefer Wilson Combat. They aren't the cheapest, but they are reliable. Here's some to consider.... http://shopwilsoncombat.com/45-ACP-B.../A45-200-LSWC/ They work well in everything I've tried them in. I've not tried them in my '68 Colt,,,, yet.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    My 1978 Colt also feeds them flawlessly, both jacketed and lead. But my Remington R1 eats them just as well. The Colt is factory throated, the R1 not. Don't know the secret.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

My Sig Sauer 1911 feeds JHPs, FMJs, Jacketed SWCs, FNs. Pretty much anything I feed it. Having magazines with hybridized feed lips helps. I use Checkmate Stainless 8 rounders with hybrid feed lips and a flat welded steel floorplate and a dimpled follower.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Montgomery County)

My Norinco 1911 feeds anything, as do my S&W 745s. In the 745s, even cases alone. Dave_n

Quote Originally Posted by thundrr1 View Post
    300WM, it's done quite often. With the right ammo, it's not an issue. As Knight stated, the 1911 is not really designed for this type of ammo,,,,,, but manufacturers of the ammo do make a difference.

Yes, I prefer Wilson Combat. They aren't the cheapest, but they are reliable. Here's some to consider.... http://shopwilsoncombat.com/45-ACP-B.../A45-200-LSWC/ They work well in everything I've tried them in. I've not tried them in my '68 Colt,,,, yet.
    Never considered it, but if they are as accurate as the ad says, then maybe I'll try for 50yd. You're right, they not cheap, but for an extra half inch or more even, it would be worth it to me.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

As a thought: Try HEAVIER wadcutters, 205-215 grain. They tend to have a bit more mass up front, meaning a larger (and more radiused) truncation, which is nearer to the profile of the RN.

The trend toward lighter (@185 gr) WC's makes for a smaller nose on the bullet, thus making feeding less like the 2225-230 RN's.

I cast a 215 Lachmiller SWC, and when sizing/lubing it, use the Round-nosed (for 230 RN) top-punch, which slightly radiuses the truncation to make it feed better.

Works for me - flawlessly.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Monroe County)

Nothing? Its a military combat handgun meant to shoot military rounds as per the Hague convention, it wasnt designed to shoot a half of a bullet .

In life if you use the right tools for the right job you usually have no problems.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast