Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Smith and Wesson SD lineup?

I haven't really heard any reviews on the SD lineup yet form people who have shot them personally...

anyone have any input? They look like a great gun for an awesome price (sub 375 for a carry gun is awesome)

anyone shooting one or has shot one?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Smith and Wesson SD lineup?

I've shot one. The trigger is noticeably worse than the M&P series (although Apex is working on a kit for these too) and the fit and finish seem to be somewhat less refined than the M&P as well. Accuracy I can't comment on really as I didn't get enough time with it. Seemed to send bullets in the general direction I pointed it. Unless you feel the G19 size is a game changer I say spend the extra $50 and just get an M&P.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by JCF191101 View Post
    I've shot one. The trigger is noticeably worse than the M&P series (although Apex is working on a kit for these too) and the fit and finish seem to be somewhat less refined than the M&P as well. Accuracy I can't comment on really as I didn't get enough time with it. Seemed to send bullets in the general direction I pointed it. Unless you feel the G19 size is a game changer I say spend the extra $50 and just get an M&P.
    M&P 132.00 more, 367 - 479,
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Cumberland County)

I've only heard bad, there was a member who had a bunch of issues, I'll see if I can dig that thread up.

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/12...y-you-all.html
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Berks County)

I'd by pass the SD lineup as well. Look for a used XD, Glock, or M&P if money is an issue. If not, save the extra $125 and get the better gun. Especially if it's your carry gun.

(Philadelphia County)

I own an SD40 and have gone through several hundred rounds without any problems. The only issue I had recently was that the slide lock broke off but I read online that this is common for many polymer guns. I sent it to S&W and they replaced it within a week.

I'm a novice shooter so when I first took it to the range I was shooting low and left. Did some research, asked around and found out that I was jerking the triggger. After correcting that all of my shots are ending up where I want them. I don't regret the purchase at all.

I will admit that I'm looking for a M&P 40c. I carry the SD40 but I want something more easily concealed in the summer.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    M&P 132.00 more, 367 - 479,
    I paid $425 for my last M&P a few months ago. Nobody should be paying $479 for an M&P...

(Westmoreland County)

I have shot an sd40 before. Buddy of mine bought one for CC...Im used to my sigs so I will try not to be too harsh. Did it perform the basic functions of a gun? yes. it shot straight, consistent, and no malfunctions (new straight out of the box, only field stripped to be oiled). Was it anything past a tool? not at all. Im not a huge fan of DA triggers to begin with and it turned me off to them even more. It had a really spongy feel and never seemed to fire in the same spot twice. After field striping it to clean and re-oil after about 100 rounds it had some pretty chunky metal fragments floating in the frame and the inside of the rails on the slide. The action in general was a little gritty both before the first oiling and after range time and re-cleaning/oiling. The mags felt really tinny (although 14 rounds was pretty nice in comparison to my sig 239). The caliber markings on the barrel were big enough for Ray Charles to see which just takes away from the overall look of the weapon IMO. Long story short: it shoots, fairly accurate (my 238 whooped its ass at all distances though with all 3 of us there that day comparing them ), and it was a hi-capacity .40...Im confident in it but I would never buy one.
    S&W M&P40c, Sig P238 SAS-.380, Ruger mkIII .22, Thinking about a new sig 938.....

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JCF191101 View Post
    I paid $425 for my last M&P a few months ago. Nobody should be paying $479 for an M&P...
    Where did you buy a brand new M&P for $425?

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

That's pretty good, eight responses, and seven of them diss the Smith & Wesson SD.

87.5% of the respondents were uncomlimentary, but they do not and have not owned one of the products they were "reviewing".

Only one was even complimentary, but of course, HE was the only one who actually owned one.

But then, this is the interwebz - where else would you get such odds.?

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast