I just bought a brand new Kahr P 380 the other day and I thought those of you interested in this little gun might like to have some idea as to what the “Break in period” is actually like, (obviously every gun may have more or less issues).

The first thing I’d like to say is call the gun store for pricing before you go. I was quoted one price on the phone but when I went to the store the gun on display was priced $100 dollars more than the quote! I informed the guy who waited on me and he took care of it.

As soon as I brought the gun home I began to break it down and clean it in preparation for the range the next day. The slide is really tight as you’ve most likely read before. The magazine was snug as well; I had to push it in pretty good till I heard it lock into place.

Range Day #1
I shot 100 rounds of American Eagle 95 grain FMJ.
The first shot fired but failed to feed the next round. This was a continual problem throughout the rest of the ammo. I wish I would have thought to count them. I could not believe the consistent failures throughout the 98 rounds shot (Two were misfires). I estimate at least 3 of the 6 rounds per mag failed to feed, man was it frustrating!

On the positive side; the trigger is excellent! Shot placement was on the money so definitely no gripes there.

I’m hoping to have better luck next time at the range with different ammo. I will post updates so those interested can see how it goes. Personally I’m shocked to see such a high priced gun have so many failures to feed….

Anyone have any ammo suggestions or stories about your break in period with the P380?