Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default My new Kahr P380 range report/ break in period.

I just bought a brand new Kahr P 380 the other day and I thought those of you interested in this little gun might like to have some idea as to what the “Break in period” is actually like, (obviously every gun may have more or less issues).

The first thing I’d like to say is call the gun store for pricing before you go. I was quoted one price on the phone but when I went to the store the gun on display was priced $100 dollars more than the quote! I informed the guy who waited on me and he took care of it.

As soon as I brought the gun home I began to break it down and clean it in preparation for the range the next day. The slide is really tight as you’ve most likely read before. The magazine was snug as well; I had to push it in pretty good till I heard it lock into place.

Range Day #1
    I shot 100 rounds of American Eagle 95 grain FMJ.
    The first shot fired but failed to feed the next round. This was a continual problem throughout the rest of the ammo. I wish I would have thought to count them. I could not believe the consistent failures throughout the 98 rounds shot (Two were misfires). I estimate at least 3 of the 6 rounds per mag failed to feed, man was it frustrating!

On the positive side; the trigger is excellent! Shot placement was on the money so definitely no gripes there.

I’m hoping to have better luck next time at the range with different ammo. I will post updates so those interested can see how it goes. Personally I’m shocked to see such a high priced gun have so many failures to feed….

Anyone have any ammo suggestions or stories about your break in period with the P380?
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

Default Re: My new Kahr P380 range report/ break in period.

Couple hundred rounds should help. Doesn't hurt to cycle the slide and dry fire it a bunch too. I have a PM9 and had a few small issues with it in the first 100 rounds, been flawless since then. Have fun with it, give it some break in time, it will help.

(Chester County)

Gold Dots and Golden Sabres work for me! Good luck.

(Cumberland County)

Hopefully you're just experiencing a rough break in period. Get out and put some more rounds through it, see what happens. Don't be afraid to run it wet either. Lube is your friend.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Montgomery County)

You might want to check out this guy's youtube channel - edgedweapon88. He has quite a few videos pertaining to this and also how Kahr's customer service handled it. I think he ended up having to send the gun in twice until it was functioning flawlessly.
    Hopefully you're next 100 rounds works out better and you don't have to go through what he did. I can understand a few hiccups but that sounds like an awful lot!

Quote Originally Posted by K.C. View Post
    I just bought a brand new Kahr P 380 the other day and I thought those of you interested in this little gun might like to have some idea as to what the “Break in period” is actually like, (obviously every gun may have more or less issues).

The first thing I’d like to say is call the gun store for pricing before you go. I was quoted one price on the phone but when I went to the store the gun on display was priced $100 dollars more than the quote! I informed the guy who waited on me and he took care of it.

As soon as I brought the gun home I began to break it down and clean it in preparation for the range the next day. The slide is really tight as you’ve most likely read before. The magazine was snug as well; I had to push it in pretty good till I heard it lock into place.

Range Day #1
    I shot 100 rounds of American Eagle 95 grain FMJ.
    The first shot fired but failed to feed the next round. This was a continual problem throughout the rest of the ammo. I wish I would have thought to count them. I could not believe the consistent failures throughout the 98 rounds shot (Two were misfires). I estimate at least 3 of the 6 rounds per mag failed to feed, man was it frustrating!

On the positive side; the trigger is excellent! Shot placement was on the money so definitely no gripes there.

I’m hoping to have better luck next time at the range with different ammo. I will post updates so those interested can see how it goes. Personally I’m shocked to see such a high priced gun have so many failures to feed….

Anyone have any ammo suggestions or stories about your break in period with the P380?
    Kahr states their break in period is 200rds i think.

Congrats, IMO the P380 is the best .380 on the market today. One of these days i'll trade my Ruger LCP in on one.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    Kahr states their break in period is 200rds i think.

Congrats, IMO the P380 is the best .380 on the market today. One of these days i'll trade my Ruger LCP in on one.
    depending on what your preferences are...the only way I would take one is to resell it to buy another 238 : ) different strokes for different folks....Kahrs are nice though. I cant say my 238 needed any break in though...especially to the degree the OP is encountering...
    Last edited by wishIhada5.0; June 21st, 2011 at 03:18 PM.
    S&W M&P40c, Sig P238 SAS-.380, Ruger mkIII .22, Thinking about a new sig 938.....

(Lancaster County)

how much did you pay for that p380 if you dont mind me asking?

I dont know why you would be experiencing such a rough break in period but it might be worth asking the shop you bought it from if this is typical.

Worst case trade it in on sig p238. No break in period havent had a single hiccup with 200 rds through it.

(Westmoreland County)

^ same here... I have put it through its paces and not one single time was I disappointed...we should start a pic thread on the awesomness of 238's lol
    S&W M&P40c, Sig P238 SAS-.380, Ruger mkIII .22, Thinking about a new sig 938.....

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by K.C. View Post
    The first shot fired but failed to feed the next round. This was a continual problem throughout the rest of the ammo.
    After thinking about the situation and rereading my initial post I failed in my explanation of why they failed to feed. What I should have added was:

"The first shot fired but failed to feed the next round, due to the slide locking back!" Sorry
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast