Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Thumbs down The Sportsman's Shop in New Holland

Went to The Sportman's Shop in New Holland last week and while there they gave me a flyer about the sale on 6/18. Prices in the ad looked great. Better than anyone around. So today me, my brother, brother in-law, and father in-law made the trip over. We were each ready to buy a gun with cash in hand. We had called Thursday to make sure they had the guns we were looking for. Were told that stock was good on what we wanted. Great, see ya Saturday. Arrived about 8:40 this morning. Looked for a 4" XD .45 for my father in-law. Although the guy on the phone Thursday said they had 2, none were to be found. Okay, we missed out. Second up was a 9mm 4.5" XDm. They had one. Price was $60 more than listed in the ad and $40 more than from the local shop. No thanks. Bro in law looked for an AR. Nothing outstanding as far as price goes, no guns available as listed in the ad, but they will gladly show you some expensive guns. My brother did buy a sw .380 but on the way home, found the same deal at Trop and Bullseye in etown for about $20 less and friendlier staff. We each got a good deal on 9mm ammo at 8.95 a box. Bought some blackhawk holsters but bro and father in-law didn't notice until we left that they forgot to discount them as in the ad and ended up paying full price. Looked for a deal on a safe, but nothing even close to what I wanted to spend.

So, I doubt I'll be making another trip over to New Holland anytime soon. The ad was very deceiving, but it got me in the door and I spent money, so it worked for them.

The day ended good however. I ordered a OD/blk XDm 9mm and my father in-law ordered a blk XD .45 from Steve at Bullseye Shooters Source in Etown. Best price around by far. Can't wait for it to arrive and I only have to drive a few miles to pick it up when it's in. Guess I'll keep my business local from now on. Live and learn.
    Last edited by StoneMill; June 18th, 2011 at 06:49 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: The Sportsman's Shop in New Holland

Did you ask anyone about the apparent deception in the ad, or call them when you found out a mistake was made in your purchase?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lancaster County)

When I inquired about the XDm 9mm and had the ad in hand which stated the sale price as $539 but the gun I was looking at was "on sale" for $599 (base gun, no night sites, etc) I was told "we don't have any at that price". Not sure what that meant and it was not worth getting into any further discussion. As far as the .45, we were told that they "must have been sold". That is a direct quote. Two were there on Thursday when we called and none when we get there this morning.

As far as the holsters, I do not know what the outcome was. Not sure if my bro in-law or father in-law did or will call to see about the error. It's 70 miles round trip so even if they were to reimburse the few dollars in savings, it's not really worth the gas to run back.

Just putting our experience out there. And as I see it, there are better places to spend my money. Your mileage may vary.

The place was very full, so I'm sure there must have been deals to be had.

(Lancaster County)

Now to top off the experience. I was talking with my brother today and he said he received a call from The Sportsmans Shop. The lady on the phone said that when they filled out the paperwork for the sw .380 he purchased the salesman neglected to have him fill out a signature on one form. She said he will have to come to New Holland by Friday to sign the paperwork. He lives about an hour away from New Holland. He runs his own business so making time to run over and back to New Holland will be difficult enough. Then there is the fact that gas is $3.50 a gallon. So any deal that he might have received (see previous post) will now be null and void. They cannot fax, email, or send the document.

(Lancaster County)

I completely agree with your frustration, and someone at Sportsman shopclearly has a problem with doing paperwork, there fault.But the paperwork is a federal document and must be filled in on the origanal by the applicant only other wise the record of transfer is not complete

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by StoneMill View Post
    Now to top off the experience. I was talking with my brother today and he said he received a call from The Sportsmans Shop. The lady on the phone said that when they filled out the paperwork for the sw .380 he purchased the salesman neglected to have him fill out a signature on one form. She said he will have to come to New Holland by Friday to sign the paperwork. He lives about an hour away from New Holland. He runs his own business so making time to run over and back to New Holland will be difficult enough. Then there is the fact that gas is $3.50 a gallon. So any deal that he might have received (see previous post) will now be null and void. They cannot fax, email, or send the document.
    I would voice this to them.....either they go to HIM or he gets compensated $$$$ for his time/mileage. It's BS....they screwed up....THEY need to fix it. I would tell them to send the salesman over since he was the one who made the mistake!

(Lancaster County)

bravo to quadzilla I could not agree more !

(Lancaster County)

I agree 100%. Not sure how my brother will handle it. I'll post up how it goes.

I will say, my first experience at the shop was great. 9AM in the store on a Tuesday and no one but me and my bro in-law in the shop. Salesmen said right off he knew little about handguns and was happy to show us and let us handle anything we wanted to see. As I posted, the "sale" was a poor experience. Take it as you will. Now this with the signature is just bad business. We'll see how they handle it.

(Lancaster County)

Ammo is the only thing I buy from that place anymore. Most of the time I walk in there and they kind of put their noses up at me because I am a younger guy who "doesn't know anything" about guns.

If only they knew....And if only they treated me better, I might buy more stuff from them. I am sure glad mussers is open now, and I have a friend that works there. They get all my business now.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(York County)

First time there today. Seemed like a nice selection, but $60 for a transfer...... Yikes.

ETA: They don't get a thumbs down from me, I just think $60 is too much for a transfer.
    Last edited by tcc722; August 30th, 2011 at 09:57 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast