Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Crafton Borough Chapter 154 Parks and Recreation

The current ordinance reads as follows:

§ 154-2 Prohibited substances, materials, effects and property.

The following shall be prohibited in all parks and recreational areas of the Borough of Crafton, unless the Council of the Borough of Crafton provides otherwise:

A. All pets and animals, including but not limited to dogs, cats, homing pigeons or other domesticated animals; provided, however, that exception may be made by specific action of Borough Council during special events.
    B. Motor vehicles, including motorcycles, except in designated areas and to the extent necessary for access for parking; provided, further, that such limited permitted use by motor vehicles shall not exceed 15 miles per hour.
    C. Bicycles shall be prohibited except where specifically marked for usage.
    D. Alcoholic beverages or prohibited drugs.
    E. Firearms or other weapons except by law enforcement officers.
    F. Explosives, fireworks, or flares, except as authorized by Council.
    G. Golf balls or golf clubs and the practicing of the sport of golf, javelins, shot putting, pole vaulting, and the use of bows and arrows shall be prohibited except as authorized by Council for designated occasions or special programs which are monitored.
    H. Glass containers whether for drinking purposes or as a container, or a glass product of any nature or kind or any use thereof
    An ordinance change to remove E will soon be presented to Borough Council and be brought for discussion. This will likely occur at the June 22nd Council meeting and will hopefully have a motion on the agenda to advertise the change. The proposed change was submitted to Council with a copy of 6120 for their reference as to where there is a conflict between Borough Ordinances and State Law. At least one call has been received in opposition to the proposed change.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Crafton Borough Chapter 154 Parks and Recreation

Anyone planning on attending the meeting on the 22nd? I may go if there are more going.
    The 2nd amendment is the RESET BUTTON on the constitution.
    Faith, Fun, and Firearms.
    Grace Life Church member

(Allegheny County)

The meeting of the 22nd likely will only be discussion of the change as well as voting to advertise the proposed change.

Hmm this is interesting. I use to go to that park all the time when I was younger, "back in the day." Still pass by it a lot. Keep this thread alive, I'd like to see what happens.

(Allegheny County)

Meeting is over. Below is my interpretation of the events.... The ordinance changes did not come up to vote on advertising the suggested change. Council instead authorized the Borough Solicitor to draft verbiage that would allow firearms according to State Law while still prohibiting other weapons.

The above was decided after long conversation ranging from remove the offending language from the ordinance and be in compliance with state law to "leave it the way it is and wait until it is challenged". A copy of the Allegheny County Park Rules was distributed, in what I believe was an effort to show that they are able to prohibit firearms. It was pointed out that the odinance as written only covers concealed carry as there is nothing in the UFA that governs open carry of a firearm and that open carry is legal in the state of PA without a LTCF except in Philly. I was quite taken back by that suggestion as they would be admitting that they are against state law but it didn't matter. We had the there are kids in schools and there are kids in the park but the law prohibits possession of firearms in schools so why not parks argument. The I don't want guns inthe park around my kids argument. They were advised that State law prohibits possession of firearms in schools.

Council was reminded that when they were elected to public office that they took an oath to uphold the Constitution of The United States and also the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and that both constitutions guaranteed the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

It was also brought up that possession of a firearm in detention facilities was prohibited as well as adjoining coridors. They suggested trying to ban possession of firearms in the Borough complex which is attached to the Police Station by a locked door. Public has no access to the Police station or the lock up facilities. From there they suggested trying to ban firearms from Council Chambers. Council President also suggested that a resolution be drawn up and approved by Council stating that it is the will of Borough Council to have our State representatives in the House and Senate draft legislation to prohibit possession of firearms in parks. I beleive this was suppose to be available at the next meeting as well.

If you live in the area this can be watched on Comcast Public Access Channel at 8:00 tomorrow evening.

Next meeting is July 13, 2011 starts at 7:15 pm.
    Last edited by FFEMT128; June 22nd, 2011 at 09:50 PM.

(Lancaster County)

I used to live in Robinson and graduated from montour. My township in pa now, has actually removed (from what i recall) the no firearms clause from township parks because the cost of defending the ordinance in law suits was becoming prohibitive and the existing ordinance did not follow state guidelines.