Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default I understand why everyone hates Anthony Arms

I bought a Tacstar magazine extension for my 870 that I wound up not needing so I went in tonight to exchange it for some other stuff. Well, I was looking for 5.56 and asked the guy for some prices. All he had to do was look at the label and tell me what it said after the $ sign but he kept walking over to the register and ringing it up. Steel cased Wolf shit was $9 a box so I said nevermind and he got pissed, pawned me off and somebody else and walked away. I would've just walked out at that point if I hadn't been doing the return. It's not like I could've gone to Gander Mountain or Dunham's and returned the mag extension I bought from Anthony Arms. What's so bad about this is that these aren't punk ass kids working here. These are grown men that throw these hissy fits and treat their customers like shit. I would love to have their job and work in a gun shop! Assholes.

It pisses me off because I tried to give this place a chance after having mixed experiences there before and they proved everyone right yet again. I'm not suprised though. Apparently their gunsmith has never heard of peel washers. I've tried four different stores (Gander Mountain, Carrick Hardware, Home Depot and Anthony Arms) to get the peel washer I need for my M4 and no one has it so I'm going to have to order it on MidwayUSA.
    Last edited by Misery Loves Shotguns; June 16th, 2011 at 11:40 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Question Re: I understand why everyone hates Anthony Arms

a) You shoulda gone with me , and
    b) Have you TRIED Braverman's yet? They'll KNOW what a peel washer is THERE!

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: I understand why everyone hates Anthony Arms

I hope someone from Anthony Arms takes a look at the following.... They have a new section of AR / tactical inventory which is great HOWEVER they have set up the display on the wall behind a glass showcase. Most of the stuff is small or on packaging which can't be seen. When I have ask to go behind the counter twice on two seperate occasions their response is... "well what do you want to look at ... I'll get it for you" IF I COULD SEE THE ITEMS I WOULDN'T HAVE ASKED GO BEHIND THE COUNTER AND THEN I WOULDN'T NEED YOU TO GET THEM FOR ME. HOW ABOUT EVERYTHING SMALLER THAN MY FIST. It is a horrible display location. They should put the guns on the wall that are in the glass case... those you could see from 5' away and then put the AR stuff in the glass case. Thanks to those of you who read my rant. PEACE.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by KDE870 View Post
    These are grown men that throw these hissy fits and treat their customers like shit.

I agree fully. Rep sent!

I have only been in their twice and will never go back. Ever.

It baffles me how they stay in business and they deserve their own showcase at the Ripley's Believe it or Not museum.

Either their long term customers have no idea how much they are getting ripped off, or they think that Anthony Arms is the only place in the state of Pennsylvania that sells firearms and ammo.

Customer service in Pittsburgh is overall a joke, but Anthony arms are the champions of poor customer service.

"One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

I guess I will add my minimal experience. I have called around for a quote on an H&K p30 and they were newly 250 more than the next most expensive. Out of their minds.

(Allegheny County)

I know that this thread is a little old but I thought I'd add my experience from 2 years ago...

I ordered AmeriGlo night sights for my G19 from Midway and went to Anthony to have their gunsmith install them. The day I went I was told that "the gunsmith was away at a Glock armorer's course and would be back tomorrow."

"Thats great," I thought. Not that Glocks are too technical, but he'd be on top of his game.

Next day, I went back to see the gunsmith. I asked him how his armorer's class was and he said, "F@!#ing waste of time." I asked him about my sights and while he went to work I browsed the displays.

He eventually told me that I ordered the wrong sights, but he had some base model Trijicon night sights that were correct he could install. I took his word for it. He mangled my original Glock sights and installed the new ones with a punch. I could've done that at home in my garage! To make it worse the rear sight was off-center.

I got home, checked my AmeriGlos for Glock compatability, measured them with my micrometers...they were the correct size for my G19. I think that because they were plastic, and he just mangled my stock plastic sights, he was afraid to mangle my new, albeit cheap, plastic sights with his hammer and punch.

I could've just bought my own sight/push tool with the extra money I spent and done it myself. On top of that, on my next range trip, I hadn't made it through 50 rounds of 9mm and the front sight came loose.

Never again.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by NewBomb View Post
    I know that this thread is a little old but I thought I'd add my experience from 2 years ago...

I ordered AmeriGlo night sights for my G19 from Midway and went to Anthony to have their gunsmith install them. The day I went I was told that "the gunsmith was away at a Glock armorer's course and would be back tomorrow."

"Thats great," I thought. Not that Glocks are too technical, but he'd be on top of his game.

Next day, I went back to see the gunsmith. I asked him how his armorer's class was and he said, "F@!#ing waste of time." I asked him about my sights and while he went to work I browsed the displays.

He eventually told me that I ordered the wrong sights, but he had some base model Trijicon night sights that were correct he could install. I took his word for it. He mangled my original Glock sights and installed the new ones with a punch. I could've done that at home in my garage! To make it worse the rear sight was off-center.

I got home, checked my AmeriGlos for Glock compatability, measured them with my micrometers...they were the correct size for my G19. I think that because they were plastic, and he just mangled my stock plastic sights, he was afraid to mangle my new, albeit cheap, plastic sights with his hammer and punch.

I could've just bought my own sight/push tool with the extra money I spent and done it myself. On top of that, on my next range trip, I hadn't made it through 50 rounds of 9mm and the front sight came loose.

Never again.
    As I mentioned in the earlier posts, the gunsmith at AA is a total moron. Two occasions I asked him questions and he had no clue what I was talking about. Think of a mechanic that you take your car to to fill it up with gas for you. That's the kind of idiot that patronizes this smith. and the kind of ridiculously simple crap he does. Gunsmiths should be providing a service that the average gun owner can't do himself, not something that a know-nothing is too stupid to do himself (Don't take that the wrong way NewBomb, I'm not taking a shot at you). I obviously don't have much faith in gunsmiths in general. If I can't do it myself, it doesn't need to be done. That includes refinishing two pistols, a shotgun and countless accessories, drilling and tapping my Benelli after a gunsmith failed to drill deep enough and the rail flew off while shooting and building an AR-15 that runs 100% from a pile of pieces.
    Last edited by Misery Loves Shotguns; September 30th, 2011 at 03:25 PM.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I went in the other day looking for mags. When I asked about a Kahr P380, the employee who was helping me started bitching about the gun: "We don't sell mags for those. The guns sat in the case and didn't sell. Guys don't want to spend $700 for a gun and then have to spend the money for a few hundred rounds to break it in before it starts to run properly, blah, blah..." I started to tell him that I love the gun, it's very reliable and accurate, that I knew about Kahr's recommended break-in period and was willing to go through that trouble to get the .380 that I wanted. Then I thought - why do I have to justify my choice of guns to this guy? I came in asking for a mag, he knows I own that model, why is he badmouthing a gun that I like and own? What a way to piss off your customers.

What I should have told him was if they charged a reasonable price for the gun, their customers could afford a few hundred rounds to break it in.

(Beaver County)

I went in with my girlfriend the other day and on the way out (didn't buy anything), she asked me if anyone had acknowledged me or said a single word to me because no one did either of those things to her. They didn't but I didn't notice or give a shit to be honest. I get where she's coming from though. She's the type that likes to be greeted and made to feel important and I'm the type that likes to go about my business and not be bothered. The last two guns I bought came from AA and I knew I was getting gouged at the time but I want the guns NOW so I sucked it up. I won't do that anymore though, I just don't care enough. Their prices suck, their employees are assholes, I wouldn't trust their gunsmith to mount a light on a rail for me and I think they know that their competition sucks just as bad as they do so they don't have to try. Shitty gun shops like this are a good reason why people on the fence about guns decide NOT TO OWN GUNS!

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    I went in the other day looking for mags. When I asked about a Kahr P380, the employee who was helping me started bitching about the gun: "We don't sell mags for those. The guns sat in the case and didn't sell. Guys don't want to spend $700 for a gun and then have to spend the money for a few hundred rounds to break it in before it starts to run properly, blah, blah..." I started to tell him that I love the gun, it's very reliable and accurate, that I knew about Kahr's recommended break-in period and was willing to go through that trouble to get the .380 that I wanted. Then I thought - why do I have to justify my choice of guns to this guy? I came in asking for a mag, he knows I own that model, why is he badmouthing a gun that I like and own? What a way to piss off your customers.

What I should have told him was if they charged a reasonable price for the gun, their customers could afford a few hundred rounds to break it in.
    What an uneducated comment by that salesman and a dick to boot!. I just finished my break-in period and that gun and it shoots 3-5 x's better than my former LCP (not that I had a problem with the LCP). Very accurate and I am very confident with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast