Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Going to build an AK... Few Questions..

Hey guys,

I am looking into buying a kit to build myself a nice traditional style AK. I have a few questions about the kits though..

I am ready to order this kit here;
    https://www.apexgunparts.com/product...oducts_id/1687

My guess is that this is able to ship directly to me, and the receiver (which isn't included) has to be shipped to my FFL correct?

Also, what all would be involved in assembling a kit like this? I have a welder, and quite an assortment of tools/equipment. The tooling or knowledge of using the tools isn't an issue. Basically, I am trying to gather the basics on throwing one of these together.. I have read stuff about pressing the barrel?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!

(York County)

Default Re: Going to build an AK... Few Questions..

You can either purchase an already made receiver, such as offered from NodakSpud, or bend a flat yourself. Getting a receiver from Nodak does require it to be shipped to your FFL. Buy a parts kit or flat, and both of those can ship directly to you.

No welder needed if you are assembling it in a traditonal manner with rivets. You'll need some tools to grind the old rivets off and a press to remove and re-install some parts. You'll have to rent, borrow, or buy, a rivit jig or make do with other tools to install the rivets. You'll want to press out the original barrel from your fsb, gb, and front trunnion, then use a press to get the new barrel back in. You should have some idea of headspacing and how to check that after installing your barrel. Probably last, figure out what you are going to want to do with the bare metal components like the receiver or new barrel. You can go cheap with the coating or do a better job by blasting it, park, and/or using other pro type finishes.

I'm currently working on a Tula Krink kit myself.

Parts kit can be shipped direct to you. 100% reciever has to go through an FFL.

Its not too hard, except you are building with a virgin barrel. That complicates things a little, and the steps required to do it are usually not found in most of the online guides and videos. Its only been a short time that the supply of complete ready to use foreign barrels has become scarce. If the US made barrel is non-chrome lined, you are asking for trouble because 5.45 ammo is very corrossive. I repeat, very corrosive.

You wont save any money at all building yourself. And your first try is most likely wont look as nice as something you could buy for around $500.

You'll need a 15+ ton press
    angle grinder
    drill press
    a solid bench vice
    headspace gauges
    and a whole slew of scrap metal just to get to the finished in the white stage. Thats just building with the 100% receiver.

Now a few years ago, when kits were under $100 w/ good barrels, it was totally worth it to buy the tools and build from scratch.

If i didnt already have the tools, experience, and skills, i would be looking really hard at converting a saiga rifle.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks for the replies, I have access to everything but the headspace gauges. I work with metal for a living, I am going to go with an 80% complete receiver and complete it myself. One question; what else will I need to complete the build besides a receiver, and this parts kit https://www.apexgunparts.com/product...oducts_id/1687 ?

Going to order 2 80% receivers just incase I am not happy with the way something turns out on one.

Once again, thanks for the help!

(Lancaster County)

Hey guys,

I just got done ordering 2 of these flat receivers;

http://ak-builder.com/index.php?disp...oduct_id=29823

Now, I need to decide on which parts kit will be best for me, any ideas welcome!

Thanks!

You'll need enough us made parts, that the total remaining foreign made parts is less than 10.

Your reciever
    Your barrel
    +......

(Philadelphia County)

akbuilder.com has everything you need to build an AK.

theakforum.net is a great place for AK folks.
    AR accessories - Barbie for men

(Lancaster County)

Cool, thanks for the links!

I can't wait to start building this, going for a totally traditional style here. (minus F/A.)

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybeez View Post
    Parts kit can be shipped direct to you. 100% If the US made barrel is non-chrome lined, you are asking for trouble because 5.45 ammo is very corrossive. I repeat, very corrosive.
    Trouble?
    I dunno.
    I think there are a lot of guys that shoot corrosive ammo and the rule we follow is simply to clean up properly afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybeez View Post
    You'll need enough us made parts, that the total remaining foreign made parts is less than 10.

Actually it is 10 or Less

Building from a flat is challenging and requires a means to correctly bend the flat. Back in the day before jigs were available I made my own. Heck a lot of guys made their own.
    Please feel free to visit a forum that I moderate:
    http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fragger View Post
    Building from a flat is challenging and requires a means to correctly bend the flat. Back in the day before jigs were available I made my own. Heck a lot of guys made their own.

Probably going to build something like this, We have so much "scrap" metal at work its ridiculous.

You don't know off the top of your head how wide the receiver needs to be bent to? I want to get this thing bent RIGHT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast