Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: My Range Day at WSSA today.

Quote Originally Posted by Rookair View Post
    Hi Beretta Bob,

I visited WSSA for the first time tonight for their IDPA practice. I saw a piece of paper that says that they keep an up-to-date calendar on a Yahoo group and I thought of you and this posting. I wrote down the website for you.

The website is: http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/wssaclub/

I just checked the site and clicked on the calendar link and they do have it updated for yesterday and today with the rifle range being used by the Fairview PD...so it seems to be up-to-date.

I'm thinking this calendar is a lot easier to update than the one they have on their website. Not sure why they don't just link to the Yahoo group from their website.

Hope this helps.

Scott
    Thanks for the link, but it is asking me to sign in. I don't have a yahoo account and not gonna make one.

Berreta Bob, I think we talked on the rifle range a few months ago. I had the hi point 45 carbine that day.

As far as volunteering, I have always offered to help but was never asked. So I just started fixing things when I see them broken. I have welded the steel plates back together a few years back, almost every time I am on the rifle range I ended screwing at least on of the shooting benches back together. No fun trying to shoot from a bench that wobbles all over the place. I have even started gathering lumber to start building new benches. I always pick up trash I see laying around.

I had a chance to speak with the VP a few weeks ago when the gate was broken and suggested to him setting a "work" day for the club. Alot of other clubs have a set day every month they perform maintenance, Like 3rd Saturday of the month, since not all of us can make it to the meetings to find out when these work days are.

The club has come a long way in the years I have been a member, the only issue I have noticed is that they seem to concentrate on one area of the club and let the others go. Like few years ago the rifle range was beautiful (once they final removed those shot up cars) but the drop plates were destroyed and in dire need of repair. Now the plate range is pretty nice but the rifle range is terrible. Barrels to use as target stands? Come on, have you tried to put staples in these things? And don't get me going on that dam wheel loader, I haven't seen that thing move in ages. These issues are not just the board's fault, we as members need to police the other members better. Why do I keep finding 223 casing laying all over range 8? If you see some one doing something they shouldn't just right down the plate # and send it to one of the board members.

All in all I am very happy with WSSA since they are one of the most handgun friendly clubs around but with all the members they have now one would think the maintenance would be a little better.

ok rant over.
    Last edited by kimbershooter; June 17th, 2011 at 01:30 AM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rookair View Post
    Hi Beretta Bob,

I visited WSSA for the first time tonight for their IDPA practice. I saw a piece of paper that says that they keep an up-to-date calendar on a Yahoo group and I thought of you and this posting. I wrote down the website for you.

The website is: http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/wssaclub/

I just checked the site and clicked on the calendar link and they do have it updated for yesterday and today with the rifle range being used by the Fairview PD...so it seems to be up-to-date.

I'm thinking this calendar is a lot easier to update than the one they have on their website. Not sure why they don't just link to the Yahoo group from their website.

Hope this helps.

Scott
    Well here we go again. Sorry to bring up an old post, but I went to the range today swiped my card at the gate, and nothing. Got out of my car went to the exit side of the gate, swiped my card, and guess what, nothing.

Scott, thanks for posting the info about the calendar, but I was already aware of it, and made a point of looking at it before making a trip to the range.

In all fairness to the officers of WSSA the changes made to the website, and calendar updates where actually being updated, and accurate. Today, however I made the mistake of not checking the calendar. So when I get back home the first thing I did was look at the calendar for this month. OK, the month of April looks like it is updated with plenty of things going on, but for today Monday April 15, 2013 the day is blank but highlighted in yellow.
    WTF, I look around for some kind of legend or something to explain why it is hight lighted but see nothing.

I tried to find a contact number to call someone to find out what the deal was, not knowing if the gate was malfunctioning figured someone should know
    about it but could only find email addresses and no phone numbers to call.

Anyhow, this was a minor inconvenience for me living a few miles away but I really wanted to shoot the new handgun I picked up today.

Just my luck, but hopefully someone from the club will see this and possibly offer an explanation.

Rant over
    Timor mortis morte pejor.

(York County)

Just to clear things up. I received a quick response to my email from the club president, and membership secretary. My email address may not have been correct in their membership records, as they sent an email to all members stating the range closure this week for a property survey.

With a few minor errors, communications at WSSA has greatly improved.

Now, I'll have to wait until Saturday to shoot my new toy. LOL

West Shore Sportsmen's Association
    April 13, 2013

The Club Property will be closed

Monday April 15 through Friday April 19, 2013

WSSA Property Survey

The next phase of this winter's range improvements and berm maintenance requires an up to date property survey. This will take place all next week.

For the safety of the survey crew it is imperative that all ranges be closed the week of April 15, 2013.

Sorry for the short notice but seasonal conditions say this is the best week to proceed!

All access cards will be turned off Monday April 15 at 1:00 am and remain off until Saturday April 20 at 8:00 am.

Depending on weather conditions the survey may run into the following week. We will send a progress report next Thursday the 18th.

Note that the club will be open on the weekends.

Thank you for your cooperation as we strive to improve the club for all.

Sincerely,

Bob Single

WSSA President
    Timor mortis morte pejor.

(York County)

How is it up at WSSA? I'm down in Hanover and I'm looking for a new place to shoot.

(York County)

Its a good range, Bring your own beverages though, the soda machines rarely work :P

Tons of steel to shoot at, although for centerfire rifles, steel is at 150 and 200 yrds. They used to have some at 100 yards, but since they renovation it isnt there anymore... but it may just be temporary...

I went saturday, and only ran into maybe 3 different (small) groups of people... lots of different handgun ranges to pick from.

They are closed until this saturday though. And the last tuesday of every month is their meetings if you wanted an easy way to gain membership, show up.

(Cumberland County)

If you do show up at the Tuesday meeting, please bring a completed membership application. It makes my task of getting your membership data in the system much easier and faster - the bar code is there for a reason .
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by daschnoz View Post
    If you do show up at the Tuesday meeting, please bring a completed membership application. It makes my task of getting your membership data in the system much easier and faster - the bar code is there for a reason .
    Despite prior proper precautions the WSSA's warnings for members were ineffective due to the fact I had similar problems; however, In defense of the WSSA I will note the Department of Defense's website is often out of date. I only hope next time when the range is closed something on the WSSA website will stand out with more contrast than last time.

The meeting I attended at the end of January it was discussed by officers the potential of putting a freeze on new memberships becuase some felt the association was getting too large and they were concerned about folks having decent access to the range and not driving out there only to find they have no place to shoot.

I have not heard anything further on that subject since the January meeting. Can anyone advise if this has progressed or is no longer under consideration. I have a friend from Exeter (Berks County), I am working on to join as an Associate member (or whatver they call the out of town folks, maybe a "guest" member).

Thanks,
    Greg

(Cumberland County)

We are still accepting new members. Yes, the idea of putting a freeze on new members was tossed around, but at this time, the BoD does not feel that the facility is being used to its capacity.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

okay thanks for the info I appreciate it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast