Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Minimum Gun Battery

Just saw the string about the minimum hunting battery. More fun than that is configuring the minimum overall gun battery. I say its 7. Anything less leaves a serious gap.

Shotgun

1- SemiAuto Shotgun, 12 gauge. This is a cheat. Interchangable barrels allow different hunting uses, clays and home defense.

Rifles

2 - Bolt action rifle in 30. 06/.270/280 for all round hunting.

3 - Semiauto .22 Rifle for small game, training. (Ruger 10-22)

4 - AR-15 . This also allows cheating with M-4 type upper for home defense SHTF and 24 inch upper for varmiting

Handguns

5 -.22 handgun plinking, training, kit gun - e.g., ruger Mark II

6 - Glock 22/23 - Self defense house gun potential carry gun. (Some will say a revolver has to be in this slot. But Glock reliability supplants the revolver arguments.)

7 - Deep Carry pistol - keltec/ruger .380

Default Re: Minimum Gun Battery

We'll have to agree to disagree. I wouldn't say that my lack of owning a .22 pistol or rifle leaves a "serious gap" in my battery. Everyone should customize their setup how they see fit. In a true SHTF situation, chances are you'll have to leave something behind. In a true SHTF situation, I'll grab my AR and shotgun before the FA subgun and heavy bolt-action .308. Just my two-cents.

(Luzerne County)

Seven is a lot of guns for a minimum.
    A .22 pistol - as a cheat, I'd say a T/C Contender and barrels in .22, .357,.44, .30-30.
    A 12 gauge shotgun - of one type or another. Type is not very critical.
    Most bases are covered with those two.
    A rifle.......a CF rifle, something in .308 Win or .30-06.
    If I had the Contender, I'd be inclined to go with an AR in .223 as the rifle and not a .308/.30-06.
    A Drilling would be nice.
    Pete
    Last edited by Pete D.; June 14th, 2011 at 06:33 PM.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(York County)

Two guns...

AK and a 9mm handgun

The AK will never quit, and you'll never have trouble finding 9x19mm or 7.62x39mm in a SHTF situatuion

For me, a vz.58 and a CZ-75
    Last edited by mp517prct; June 14th, 2011 at 06:56 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by kapow View Post
    Just saw the string about the minimum hunting battery. More fun than that is configuring the minimum overall gun battery. I say its 7. Anything less leaves a serious gap.

Shotgun

1- SemiAuto Shotgun, 12 gauge. This is a cheat. Interchangable barrels allow different hunting uses, clays and home defense.

Rifles

4 - AR-15 . This also allows cheating with M-4 type upper for home defense SHTF and 24 inch upper for varmiting

Handguns

6 - Glock 22/23 - Self defense house gun potential carry gun. (Some will say a revolver has to be in this slot. But Glock reliability supplants the revolver arguments.)

Except a .22LR conversion for an AR 15 could supplant the need for a dedicated .22LR rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by mp517prct View Post
    Two guns...

AK and a 9mm handgun

The AK will never quit, and you'll never have trouble finding 9x19mm or 7.62x39mm in a SHTF situatuion

I'll give you 9mm. But not 7.62x39mm. Not in this country anyway. It's not a domestic caliber bucko. And while there is a lot of it here for commercial sale, it's mainly imported. If the SHTF, don't expect it to be plentiful. Same with AK's and their parts. We don't use those here, and as much as I like the AK. A real SHTF scenario in the USA makes domestic made weapons in military calibers king.

Hint: That is not an AK. And that is not 7.62x39mm.

(Allegheny County)

Exclamation Re: Minimum Gun Battery

Beware the old man who ONLY carries one gun. Most LIKELY, he KNOWS how to use it...

That said, here's a few threads worth reading on the topic.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2011/05/...nternet_d.html

Consider these two, published six years apart! Look for the similarities, and differences in that time.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2011/03/..._a_budget.html

http://www.survivalblog.com/2005/09/...attery_on.html

Still more.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2005/12/..._and_cali.html

http://www.survivalblog.com/2006/01/...selection.html

Better yet - set aside a WEEKEND, and read them ALL! Pistols, rifles, shotguns, .22's, C&R - it's ALL COVERED WITHIN!

http://www.survivalblog.com/weapons/selfdefense/

Enjoy!

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by mp517prct View Post
    Two guns...

AK and a 9mm handgun

Agree, OP lost me as soon as he mentioned "glock reliability"
    An ak will kill any game animal in America. Choose your own sidearm. add a 10/22 and you are covered. Add in a Deer rifle if you must For long range hunting. In reality though it isnt needed. if you arent worried about shooting you neighbors or shooting a trophy buck an AK will serve as protection and killing the doe that walks near you in the woods. Light and mobile is what Im looking for.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by kapow View Post

Shotgun

Rifles

Handguns

If you mean for normal times with no shtf senerio, I agree with you for the most part. I think a .22 bolt action is a better all around choice and I like a revolver for #6 if it is to fill all the roles you listed.
    In a shtf senerio I think a shotgun would be the minimum you could get away with. It would be able to do just about all you would need except defence at longer distances.Jmo
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    Except a .22LR conversion for an AR 15 could supplant the need for a dedicated .22LR rifle.

I'll give you 9mm. But not 7.62x39mm. Not in this country anyway. It's not a domestic caliber bucko. And while there is a lot of it here for commercial sale, it's mainly imported. If the SHTF, don't expect it to be plentiful. Same with AK's and their parts. We don't use those here, and as much as I like the AK. A real SHTF scenario in the USA makes domestic made weapons in military calibers king.

Hint: That is not an AK. And that is not 7.62x39mm.
    Most people overestimate their chances in TSHTF situation. There will be dead people and guns everywhere. While I suscribe to the theory you should have 10 mags and 1000 rounds minimum per weapon...as a realist I doubt most people will need more then 1 mag.
    Gang members, roving mobs, and just plain hungry people will not be stupid...esp after a few days. Evasion will be your best weapon. When you reach the point you cant evade and are forced to fight you will probably be outnumbered. If the gangs stay organized...esp some of the latin American ones they will be moving in military formations, at least as professionally as the average American infantry man. Most of them will have killed or been present during killings in the past and wont hesitate. Either way...if you are forced to protect yourself instead of evade you will have to be very lucky to win a firefight at urban combat ranges completely unscathed.
    Instead of concentrating on what weapons youll need, you would do better to concentrate on "how many of my neighbors can I count on, and how well do I know them?"
    Just sayin.

(Allegheny County)

I get what you're saying. Lack of food and clean water will be a much bigger issue than finding ammo for your gun.

But I think all the AK guys (I'm one of them, but not in this scenario) overestimate the long term ability to service their weapons in the SHTF scenario. We aren't in Russia or any EU nation guys. Why are they so plentiful there? UH... cause the military uses them. What does the military use here? Exactly. That's your caliber and weapon if you want to sustain yourself by scavenging long term. You will find that caliber and those weapon systems in a 100 to 1 ratio or LARGER in the US. I would put $20 on 1000 to 1.

Everyone wants to tout the AK as the ultimate SHTF gun. It is. If you live in Eastern Europe, Iraq, Pakistan, parts of Africa... and any where else that isn't - HERE.

I'll let it go - and just agree to disagree. But in the US the AK ain't your gun. I have a bunch, love them. It pains me to say what I say in this situation. But - I've looked at this a dozen different ways and it never lends itself to long term sustainablility.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; June 14th, 2011 at 10:13 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast