Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Character references in allegheny county

Quote Originally Posted by TheHighChild View Post
    Ok. I think I said I would followup with my experience at Allegheny Courthouse.
    They had me file a yellow card and said they would mail me the Yellow card and I would have to return by the date posted on the Yellow card to pick up my license. They take a picture while you're there as well..
    It all depends on county and the technology and manpower they have at their disposal. In montgomery county you can get it done in one day as long as you have the time to drive from the approving sheriffs office or PD to the county court house.
    -JL-

"There are many important issues, but the gun-hating psychos who would flush the Bill of Rights down the toilet have changed that for me. I would vote for a puppy-killing, football hating, incestuous Martian if I thought he would preserve and protect the Constitution from all enemies, both foreign and domestic." - obxned
    "Don't confuse my kindness with weakness"

(Westmoreland County)

I read the account of a few other forum users and they said it was issued on the spot. I'm chalking it up to the change in Sheriff and that probably created a backlog of applicants. I can't say this for sure but my impression was that if they could, they would have issued on the spot but couldn't because they were busy.

I didn't want to ask too many questions.

I really have to say that the folks were very nice, talkative and friendly. Not at all what I was expecting. I anticipated being asked about what and why and blah blah blah. The only thing of the sort was a question about why you wanted the LCF on the application. These were such as "Self defense", "Target Practice", "Hunting", "Collecting". Nothing that would make you feel inferior or like you have something to prove, etc.

Let's hear it for Allegheny County!

*EDIT*

FYI - Anyone attempting to get theirs in Allegheny. They said that ~10 AM is the worst time to go in and there will be a line to file.
    Last edited by D-FENS; December 7th, 2006 at 12:51 PM.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Luzerne County)

When I first went to get mine at age 22 the sheriff begged me not too, saying how he hated guns and wouldnt carry one if he didnt have too...then he asked me to try to pull his gun out of his holster after emptying the magazine and the chamber...I think he must have gotten his first retention holster and was very proud of it...after a a bit of reassuring me it was ok and a few more requests I finally attempted to grab the gun out of fear that if I didnt he would make getting my permit more difficult (I was younger and more foolish at the time)...I wasnt fimiliar with retention holsters at the time and had no idea how to get it out...he then signed my form and I went on my way lol...strange old man....
    -JL-

"There are many important issues, but the gun-hating psychos who would flush the Bill of Rights down the toilet have changed that for me. I would vote for a puppy-killing, football hating, incestuous Martian if I thought he would preserve and protect the Constitution from all enemies, both foreign and domestic." - obxned
    "Don't confuse my kindness with weakness"

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by JLStorm View Post
    When I first went to get mine at age 22 the sheriff begged me not too, saying how he hated guns and wouldnt carry one if he didnt have too...then he asked me to try to pull his gun out of his holster after emptying the magazine and the chamber...I think he must have gotten his first retention holster and was very proud of it...after a a bit of reassuring me it was ok and a few more requests I finally attempted to grab the gun out of fear that if I didnt he would make getting my permit more difficult (I was younger and more foolish at the time)...I wasnt fimiliar with retention holsters at the time and had no idea how to get it out...he then signed my form and I went on my way lol...strange old man....
    It must have been a new item for him, and I'm betting he wanted to be able to test it out in a "safe" environment before he had to risk having some "perp" try to snatch his gun.
    Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in every caliber.

I'm armed and menopausal...Excuse me, did you have something to say?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234