Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR questions

Default AR questions

I'm looking into buying/building my first AR. I've had a few AK's in the past and would like a better rifle IMO. I'm looking into getting a lower first and have been looking into Stag/RRA and then went over to M4carbine.net and started reading. First let me say that this will be a range gun and maybe some 3 gun/run-n-gun type stuff, but if I was a survivor I would like to have a good rifle for the apocalypse. I'm looking for 1 rifle to last me a long time, not to have 6 different AR's, so I'm wanting a good rifle but not break the bank.
    So after my visit to M4carbine I have learned about magnetic particle testing and staking, but I'm not sure what HPT means or what it is.
    I don't mind spending more for a good rifle but I need good reasoning to back it up, I'm not going to spend several hundred more if it's not worth doing. I really like the LMT rifles but what about CMMG, Colt and Daniel Defense? I'm am now thinking to just buy the LMT and forget the Stag/RRA because I know me very well and within a month will have dropped another few hundred on a MPI bolt and staking everything that isn't. I want a reliable rifle not just a name brand, something that will be able to be thrown around some and still tick. Please don't tell me get an AK and forget the AR cause the tolerances AR's too tight, I've had AK's and prefer the AR.
    Anyway what do you guys know about MPI/HPT and how it makes a difference in the rifle? I'm new to all this with the terms and what not so I just need clarification and some opinions on what rifles you prefer. Sorry for being long winded...
    PS- I also want a DI rifle so no piston AR's
    I'm also looking for a local shop that may have some I can manhandle/buy
    Last edited by *Klutch*; June 10th, 2011 at 09:38 AM.

(Berks County)

Default Re: AR questions

why not just take a little drive to cabelas they have a couple in stock there and some used ones you can handle and see what you like. theres lots of options out there for ARs carbine, mid, or rifle lengths stocks handguards what all you can get for ARs is endless, every time I think im done with mine I see something else that I like and end up putting it on there. I really cant say there is a bad AR out there. I have all stag lowers myself but never heard anything bad about any of ther other name brand lowers out there. Im using the heavy walled DPMS uppers with out the foward assist or dust covers I like the heavy walled uppers.

If this is a rifle you think you may bet your life on, spare no expense...unless you don't think you are worth very much. BCM for DI, LWRC for piston. I live south of you and have both. If you want to shoot them, you are more then welcome. I also have a Vltor/Noveske/Mega/Magpul DI M4gery that I absolutely love.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    If this is a rifle you think you may bet your life on, spare no expense...unless you don't think you are worth very much. BCM for DI, LWRC for piston. I live south of you and have both. If you want to shoot them, you are more then welcome. I also have a Vltor/Noveske/Mega/Magpul DI M4gery that I absolutely love.
    Hell yes I want to shoot them! I really appreciate the offer, I want an M4gery or possibly a mid length 16" but I'll cross that road soon enough. I'm looking for something I could depend on with my life, while I'm not going to skimp on cost I don't want to frivolously spend. I'm looking to be in the $1200 range which I think opens up a good market for me but I need to do more homework first. Is there any advantage to building one vs. buying a complete rifle or the other way around?

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    ...........big snip.......... but if I was a survivor I would like to have a good rifle for the apocalypse.
    Daniel Defense (My personal choice), BCM, or Colt!
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

I have always found it to be easier to piece one together over time. This way I do my research and my purchase is less compulsive. Plus, it's easier to spend a few hundred here and a few hundred there as opposed to a grand or two at one shot. They are easy to build and the results are usually great. I only run mid length or longer when I put together a non-sbr'd rifle. If you search smartly, you can find most things on sale, but make sure you into consideration shipping and handling fees as well.

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    Daniel Defense (My personal choice), BCM, or Colt!
    Yea I've been on DD website this morning and been watching some youtube videos on them. I'm really liking them and they are right in the range I'm looking for which makes it nice.
    What makes them you choice?

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    I have always found it to be easier to piece one together over time. This way I do my research and my purchase is less compulsive. Plus, it's easier to spend a few hundred here and a few hundred there as opposed to a grand or two at one shot. They are easy to build and the results are usually great. I only run mid length or longer when I put together a non-sbr'd rifle. If you search smartly, you can find most things on sale, but make sure you into consideration shipping and handling fees as well.
    why only middy or longer?

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    Hell yes I want to shoot them! I really appreciate the offer, I want an M4gery or possibly a mid length 16" but I'll cross that road soon enough. I'm looking for something I could depend on with my life, while I'm not going to skimp on cost I don't want to frivolously spend. I'm looking to be in the $1200 range which I think opens up a good market for me but I need to do more homework first. Is there any advantage to building one vs. buying a complete rifle or the other way around?
    The advice I got when I was in your position was buy your first one, build the second.
    If you keep your eyes open in the classifieds you should be able to get a real good "bang for your buck".
    I recently picked up this one for a bit under your budget. Granted it's a piston system but I'm sure you could find a DI that would suit you as well.

Last edited by Bugman916; June 10th, 2011 at 11:15 AM.
    /bug

softer recoil, burns more powder, runs a little cleaner. 18" is the optimal length per velocity for a .223. Velocity gains after that are minimal but it still does gain velocity, just not the 50fps per inch or whatever it is. If you feel you can handle >18"s, go for it. I have a 20" SAM-R barrel that's pretty awesome. It is not used for home defense though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast