Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cambria County)

Default Gun Magazines and loose security at Domestic Relations Office!

So today I had to go to Domestic Relations to do a child support modification because my 18 yr old graduates tonight.

I enter the building (coincidentally at the same time as my EX-wife) we proceed through the security check point metal detector and 2 guards.

I put my keys in the tray then walk through, and BEEP, BEEP. ( I am not carrying a gun today). The guard stands up and gets his wand. I quickly pull up my shirt and point to my belt buckle and say "I think it is just my buckle".

He immediately scans my waist and says "yeah, OK go ahead". That was the ONLY part of me he scanned. I proceeded (with EX) to the elevators and we went to the fifth floor.

I EASILY could have had 5 knives, 2 guns, and perhaps a grenade strapped to my legs/ankles. Great security.
    -------------------

Anyway, we sign in and we are directed to the waiting room area.

Here's the irony part..... I notice there are ONLY 2 reading magazines on the entire waiting room "shelf".

You guessed:

American Rifleman
    &
    Guns and Ammo

I had to laugh out loud. My EX (VERY anti-gun) didn't see the humor.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Gun Magazines and loose security at Domestic Relations Office!

Good to see the security guard earning his paycheck. Although beyond that I'm fine with lax security.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Cambria County)

Apparently you can't take your gun in, but you CAN read about them once you're in.

(Monroe County)

Did you see the "Amateur Boxing Gazette" ?

How about "Blade and Knife" monthly?

Just wondering (as far as carrying a firearm goes, even though the OP wasn't)
    ... is this Domestic Relations office a county or state agency?

Is there a court facility in the building?

(Cambria County)

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Just wondering (as far as carrying a firearm goes, even though the OP wasn't)
    ... is this Domestic Relations office a county or state agency?

Is there a court facility in the building?[/QUOTE]
    I made sure to check for a court room,,,and yes there is an actual court room on the same floor as the Dom Rel dept.

I even chatted with the 5th floor security guard just to find out if the court room was a "real" one and not just a phantom room used to "justify" the security check point. He said they actually have some criminal hearings there and mostly child custody hearings.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by CenterTree View Post
    I put my keys in the tray then walk through, and BEEP, BEEP. ( I am not carrying a gun today). The guard stands up and gets his wand. I quickly pull up my shirt and point to my belt buckle and say "I think it is just my buckle".

He immediately scans my waist and says "yeah, OK go ahead". That was the ONLY part of me he scanned. I proceeded (with EX) to the elevators and we went to the fifth floor.

I EASILY could have had 5 knives, 2 guns, and perhaps a grenade strapped to my legs/ankles. Great security.
    While I have no first-hand knowledge of this particular location, I have seen metal detectors that have indicator lights running vertically on each side on the security side of the checkpoint. When metal is detected, the lights light up indicated in what area it was located. If in place and working properly in your situation, they may have led the security personnel to not scan your entire body if the alert indicated the hit was in you mid-section.

Of course, this would still be ineffective if you had a knife placed horizontally under your belt on the back side of your body, so a 360° seems advisable, even if limited to a specific "zone."
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

When it comes to security at court houses, you get what you pay for! 10 dollars an hour pay gets 10 dollars worth of security. The Montgomry county court house is very strict and the check point are manned by Sheriffs deputy's. The Berks county court house is manned by rent cop security guards. The last pass through there appeared very lax! The guards appeard bored and uninterested.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.