Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gps for hunting

(Montgomery County)

Default gps for hunting

anyone have any ideas for a good handheld GPS for hunting that isnt ridiculously priced? thinking 200
    All That Is Necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing

(Franklin County)

Default Re: gps for hunting

Quote Originally Posted by pitbulls&guns View Post
    anyone have any ideas for a good handheld GPS for hunting that isnt ridiculously priced? thinking 200
    What exactly do you need it to do? Do you want the possibility of maps, color screen, etc.?

This is a very nice package, at just over what you want to spend. You can get a basic gps these days for under $100.00.
    Last edited by gnbrotz; June 5th, 2011 at 08:17 PM.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Bucks County)

you might have to buy the maps seperately. dont go in the woods without a map and compass, a gps shouldnt be a 100 percent substitute.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by den9 View Post
    you might have to buy the maps seperately.
    Some units come with a default mapset, and some do require an additional purchase of (manufacturer proprietary) mapsets.
    Quote Originally Posted by den9 View Post
    dont go in the woods without a map and compass, a gps shouldnt be a 100 percent substitute.
    Agreed. Any number of problems can occur, from dead batteries, to a lost or damaged unit while in the field. They are a great tool when they operate properly, but they should not be the only tool in your "not getting lost" toolbox.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

I bought a cheapie Magellan Explorist about 5 years ago. A real basic nothing fancy GPS, but it works well for hunting. Slips into my pocket easy, and it’s there if I need it.
    By today’ technology I’m guessing a more advanced GPS is available for near the same price.

I also agree that if you think you need a GPS please purchase a compass and learn how to use it. I don’t venture out without one, plus other essentials.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Bucks County)

some say a gps should only be used to get coordinates for a map. eitherway i study a map before i go out in the woods and use a gps as a trail marker pretty much, in case i have to follow it back, or to measure how far away i am from a certain location. i found it real handy when hiking the appalachian trail, i marked the whole whole hike, and on the hike out i knew how far away we were, and the next year i used the same gps way point. its also very very good for marking spots on a gps, especially for scouting.

I have a Garmin Colorado 300 and you can purchase 24k topo maps for it, for what ever region you'd like. The Colorado is discontinued so you should be able to pick one up fairly cheap. It has bread crumbs and waypoints. You can also get Inland lakes and blue water sd cards for it as well.
    The answer to a fool is silence.

(Berks County)

Garmin and Magellan make some good hand held units. The Extrex and 72 are good units that will mark various different coordinates, grids, etc for you. However, in thick canopy forest, good luck getting a satellite signal. Plus, keep spare batteries on hand and a good case.

One thing I would recommend is getting into orienteering if you want to spend lots of time in the woods and get good with a topo map and a compass. Plus, go with a buddy and have a good two way radio. GPS units are fantastic freakin tools, but don't have them replace a good topo map and compass.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you have, is also big enough to take it all away.
    Gerald Ford.

Happiness is 5,000 rounds of match ammo.

(Beaver County)

My dad has been using a Bushnell Backtrack for the past couple of months. Not really a GPS to mark stands or trails or whatnot but he's ended up like 5 miles from where he thinks he was and the Backtrack gets him back to his vehicle everytime.

(Luzerne County)

Go with Garmin. I have a 60CSx, which is above your $200 limit, but it is a great GPS. I use it for hunting, driving and geocaching. Garmin has cheaper models that work great. In fact, I still have me Etrex Legend that I started out with. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles as the 60CSx, but it still works great.

I always have a map and compass, but a GPS is great because you can mark your spots, then download them to a map or even check them out on Google Earth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast