Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Letter to the Editor: Gun control won’t stand in criminals’ way

It got published:

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Letter to the Editor: Gun control won’t stand in criminals’ way

To the Times:
    It boggles my mind that in the wake of any shooting, gun control is in every news story for days after the hype is over. In order for people not being able to purchase guns to ever be effective, you first must retrieve every gun ever made from everybody (then, of course, you will see what replaces the gun for killers).
    Why people think gun control will stop criminals from using guns just wrecks my mind. Someone of the mind to take a life for, sometimes, as little as $20 could care less about gun laws — wouldn’t you agree?
    Every mass shooting in America of recent years has been either in a gun-free zone or in the wake of stricter gun laws. Rather than make stricter gun laws, why don’t you start a campaign to write laws that make it a serious crime to kill someone with a gun? And, if that sounds sarcastic to you, imagine how stricter gun laws sound to gun owners who even carry a gun to protect themselves, and others from the ones who couldn’t care less about gun laws or laws pertaining to murder.

Why haven’t any news reporters taken the position of what a blessing it was that a private citizen quite literally saved as many as a hundred lives or more in Colorado because they carried a gun legally and used it to protect others? Doesn’t anybody ever see the other side?
    What if every person in that mall in Omaha had a gun strapped to their side? How many people would that guy have killed then? I’ll answer that for you — absolutely none. He wouldn’t have killed even one person because he would have never gone there with a gun to kill people. He went to a gun-free building knowing he was the only person there with the power to kill. It was the perfect stage for him.
    If everybody had had a gun, he would have exposed his weapon and instantly been taken out by a law-abiding citizen who would have had the legal right to save his and the lives of those around him or her.
    For a moment, if you can, clear your mind of your current views of guns and gun ownership, and imagine that everybody everywhere had a gun strapped to their side. Can you even imagine how nice everybody would be to one and another? Or can you only see that if everybody had a gun strapped to their side that within an hour everybody in the world would be shot dead?
    Can you see the value of gun ownership?
    I don’t for a moment suggest we give mentally disturbed, out-of-control people guns. Though I don’t agree with the back-door control some lawmakers are considering in denying any child drugged by their school to make them more compliant as being mentally disturbed and ineligible for gun ownership for life.
    There are plenty of people with depression that is controlled and those people function as healthily as any normal person and shouldn’t be denied a gun. Unfortunately, as bad as the government has proven they view this subject, they can’t be trusted with any infringement.
    I would ask you to please read the booklet (PDF file) at this address: http://gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-facts/...s4-2-Print.pdf.
    It’s not a radical gun-slinging propaganda piece — it is a compilation of facts, all of which have their source listed. I think you might find it very surprising to see that just the opposite of what anti-gun people think is true, is true.
    No place in the entire world has stiffer gun control netted anything but criminals being alerted that “here is where to commit violent crime with no risk” and violent crime goes up sharply. Why our lawmakers don’t see that is beyond my understanding. They seem to be educated people.
    Imagine this: You are an armed criminal and before you are two houses. Each has $1 million cash stacked in the living room. One house is a gun-free zone so there are no guns there. The other is an NRA member with a gun in every room and one on his side ready to protect himself and his family from intruders. Which house are you going to rob?
    So, if your community decides to announce they are cracking down on gun ownership, the best thing you could do is move immediately to an area where you can own a gun and criminals know it.
    I hope this helps and I hope I didn’t sound like a radical gun owner. Hopefully this and the booklet I suggest reading will show you why we (law-abiding gun owners) sound so frustrated with the dialog of anti-gun people.
    Just like everything else, you don’t have to own one — just don’t take mine, especially since mine is just as much a protector of you and your family and my family. The criminals don’t know if it’s you or me that have the gun unless gun laws tell them.
    Besides, if you and your family are standing in line with me in a store where some crazed man starts shooting, I will protect you as I protect myself. Wouldn’t that be nice?
    BILL BOGGS
    Pittsburgh

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Letter to the Editor: Gun control won’t stand in criminals’ way

+2 for that, nice read, great points!!!! Hard to argue with the logic....

‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’

— James Earl Jones

Default Re: Letter to the Editor: Gun control won’t stand in criminals’ way

Excellent!!!!!