Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default "Hand Gun 101" by Randy Cain

We have had all of our hand gun courses sell out this summer, with wait-lists. I am therefore posting the September "Hand Gun 101" course, given by Randy Cain, a little early. This course already has several people enrolled.

A full course description follows.

Pete G.
    --------------------------------

Randy Cain of Cumberland Tactics
    will be presenting

"Hand-Gun 101"

September 9 - 10 - 11, 2011 (Fri - Sat – Sun) at the Pitcairn-Monroeville Sportsman’s Club, N. Versailles, Pa
    (25 min. outside Pittsburgh)

This is the most popular 3-day course offered by Mr. Cain at his school, Cumberland Tactics. The comprehensive curriculum encompasses all elements of the "Modern Technique of the Pistol", and introduces new concepts in tactical applications. The format provides a base in the fundamentals of marksmanship, tactical manipulation, the draw-stroke, malfunction clearance, weapon retention, shooting on the move, moving targets, alternate tactical body positions and mental conditioning. Other topics include basic one man tactics, working with a partner, and an introduction to team tactics. This course is appropriate for beginners and is also recommended as a refresher for those with experience.

Cumberland Tactics does not regard this course as merely a "basic class". They begin with the fundamentals, and the technical difficulty of each drill builds in a logical sequence over the duration of the course. Mr. Cain makes every effort to analyze, diagnose, and correct even the slightest quirk in each individual's shooting technique.

Traditionally, most training has involved shooting on flat paper targets under static range conditions. This course is designed to help the student apply the basics and become comfortable with dynamic movement by both the shooter and the target. A variety of three dimensional target systems are employed, which move in a more realistic manner. The 3-D aspect of the targets require surgical shooting on vital target areas as they move, change positions, or charge at the shooter. This is simultaneous with movement by the shooter as he/she changes the target angles, attempts to get away from the attacker, or moves to cover/concealment.

Cost: $475 + $30.00 range fees. Tuition is non-refundable within 30 days of the start date of the course. However, if the course is cancelled tuition will be refunded in full. Students to provide their own ammunition, personal gear and meals.

Course Format: Lectures (approximately 2 hrs.), and live-fire exercises (approximately 21 hrs.). Each student will need 600 rounds of hand gun ammunition.

Instructor: Rangemaster will be Randy Cain. Mr. Cain is currently the Director of Cumberland Tactics, a professional shooting school located in Tennessee. Randy has provided professional firearms instruction for 12 years, having previously taught at the Yavapai Firearms Academy. Mr. Cain is a registered NRA Police Firearms Instructor, and has served both as a police officer and as a police SWAT team member and Training Officer. He is himself a graduate of numerous training schools, including the American Pistol Institute (Gunsite), Yavapai Firearms Academy, Thunder Ranch, and the FBI Advanced SWAT School.

Philosophy of Training: "We believe that fundamentals are the cornerstone of survival. The advanced techniques may only exist when built on a foundation of good, rock-solid basics. The 'Combat Triad' consisting of Marksmanship, Gunhandling, and Mindset must be automatic in order to remain mentally engaged with a changing environment. When facing a violent attacker, it's safe to assume that the brain will have more than enough to keep it occupied. The 'reflex response' must be programmed through repetition of the basics. Ironically, it is usually only the truly 'advanced' student who fully appreciates the importance of continuous refocus on the basics." -- Randy Cain.'

Prerequisites: None. It is, however, expected students will have a basic familiarity with firearms.

Equipment Requirements: There is certain equipment which is REQUIRED in every course. One may not proceed in the course without the following:

• Ear protection and Eye protection.

• Cap or hat with baseball-style bill. This is to prevent ejected brass from another shooter's pistol from falling between your eyewear and your eye, burning you. It is important gear.

• Firearm, clean and zeroed.

• At least three magazines or speed loaders. We prefer you have three, in case one malfunctions during the course.

• Magazine holster or pouch which is worn on your belt, on your support ("weak hand") side. BDU pockets do not work well.

• 600 Rounds of "Ball" Ammunition. We recommend students use one brand of ammunition throughout the course. Different brands and loads of ammunition can significantly affect the "zero" of your firearm. We also suggest students avoid the very cheapest ammunition and reloads. While "match grade" ammunition would be a waste of money, your investment in this course does justify the use of reasonably consistent ammunition. No incendiary, tracer, armor piercing, or other exotic ammunition is permitted.

• A good quality holster. No shoulder holsters allowed.

There is other equipment that is not required, but which we know from experience will enhance your experience of the course. We therefore recommend you bring the following:

• Soft drinks or water to drink while down on the range. There is no water on the range itself, and the Club house is too far to run back and forth. No alcohol of any kind is to be consumed within eight hours of the start of any course session or at any time during the course.

• Back-up handgun. A second handgun is also a good idea, if you own or can borrow one. Firearms do break, and we cannot stop the course to make repairs. Even if we had time, parts may not be available, and many repairs cannot be accomplished in the field.

• Gloves (either shooting gloves or light work gloves).

• A bag lunch. There are no food vendors on the club grounds.

Wear substantial shoes and "work clothes" or fatigues. You will be on the ground and get dusty or muddy.

For additional information, hotel information, driving directions, go to www.fireinstitute.com, or contact the Course Administrator – Rob Cambbell 724.553.8832

This course is sponsored by the Firearms Instruction Research & Education (FIRE) Institute, a nonprofit corporation. Training is provided as a public service. All students must be 18 years or older. Proof of no criminal history is required.

"Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician"
    --- LTC Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: "Hand Gun 101" by Randy Cain

This course is now filling up. Please register now, so we know how many we have.

Thanks.

PeteG

(Allegheny County)

This course is a "go" and will start at 8:30 this Friday. There are 4 open slots. If you wish to attend, do not mail your application. Bring it to PMSC the morning of the course, and we will process you there.

PeteG

(Allegheny County)

As a novice shooter I do not feel confident to post an after action report type posting, but I did want to say that that Randy Cain's Pistol 101 was an outstanding experience. I am very new to anything relating to a handgun and had no real direction as I began to seek instruction. Randy's three day course covered all the aspects of handgun operation including safety, marksmanship, manipulation and tactics. However, as the "101" designation denotes, this is a "college level" course and not an elementary class in just the basics. Safety was always observed and the pace was perfect for a novice shooter like me. Every step was a building block for the next topic and on day three I was able to shoot more accurately and confidently than I had hoped was possible (I'm still dry firing each day in order to stop my tendency to drift left . I read the course outline in detail before the class, but never expected the class to take me so far in my ability and understanding. Randy was able to identify any issues affecting each individual’s performance and correct them quickly and constructively. In my case it involves continuing homework, but now I know exactly why my shots fall as they do! The drills were fun and exciting, but always very safe. I never would have thought I could complete the drills on day three if you had asked me on day one, but we all were surprising ourselves by the end of the course. Randy and the crew at the F.I.R.E. Institute did an outstanding job!