Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Re: Legal to have PR24 (side handle baton) in vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
    [COLOR="Blue"] A PR-24 is basicly a baton = blackjack
    A "blackjack" or "sap" is a short, weighted, flexible bludgeon, used in one hand. The good ones are made of woven leather strips, filled with lead shot and stiffened with a bicycle spoke.

A "baton" or "nightstick" is a long, inflexible club or bludgeon, used either in one or both hands. Various hardwoods have been used for these, as well as synthetic materials and even aluminum.

A side-handle club such as the PR-24 is a "martial arts weapon" (in states with such designations). Made of hard material (originally plastic) and refined over the years with various accessories and modifications, the side-handle baton is useful as a conventional baton, as a swivel baton, as a compliance-without-pain lever, as a means of steadying a pistol during firing, and other purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by DVC View Post
    A "blackjack" or "sap" is a short, weighted, flexible bludgeon, used in one hand. The good ones are made of woven leather strips, filled with lead shot and stiffened with a bicycle spoke.

A "baton" or "nightstick" is a long, inflexible club or bludgeon, used either in one or both hands. Various hardwoods have been used for these, as well as synthetic materials and even aluminum.
    Thats what i was always told, but when I looked up the definition of a baton they were grouped together.

(York County)

PA Act 235 definition: Lethal weapons—Include, but are not limited to, firearms and other weapons calculated to produce death or serious bodily harm. A concealed billy club is a lethal weapon. The chemical mace or any similar substance shall not be considered as a lethal weapon for the purposes of the act. For purposes of this chapter, a nonconcealed billy club shall also be considered a lethal weapon

Although the law appears ambiguous, my understanding is that LE considers a PR24 or any variety of the Monadnock or ASP type batons that may or may not be extendable, as a prohibited offensive weapon UNLESS you are certified as a PA Lethal Weapons agent.

(Allegheny County)

Regardless of whether it's legal or not to carry in your car, I wouldn't want to have to face a jury after using one on some guy (even if the intention was self defense). Secondly, unless you are trained in it's use, you risk having the bad guy take it away from you and using it on you. The best defense (while in a car) is to stay in the car and drive away.
    Toujours prêt

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    The best defense (while in a car) is to stay in the car and drive away.
    i absolutly agree. i had it in my car because of my job. at the time i was a courier for a bank chain. as part of my job i had to go into banks after hours and retreive a large canvas bag of paperwork and receipts. i did this twice a day at 11 branch locations, to someone looking to take an easy mark, i looked pretty tempting. all the while im not in the safety of my car, dont have a gun permit, and would have been fired for having a gun anyway.

(Butler County)

I carry an ASP (expanding baton) in my car but, I'm a "Law Enforcement Tactical Baton Instructor" (their words, not mine) so I have that to back me up and I keep my Act 235 certification current even though I don't have much of a use for it at this point.

I made the decision to go with the ASP vs the PR-24 for the simple fact that it's an impact weapon and that's it. Sure, you could use it for pressure point control but the uses are very limited. With the various locks etc that available and often taught with a PR-24 I didn't want to be asked by an attorney why I didn't use my training to try and subdue an individual vs utilizing solely the impact functionality.

Juts my thought process and decisions after reviewing the laws in NJ (at the time) and PA and after discussing with an attorney.

Short answer, unless you have Act 235 certification I would not suggest it.

Obviously anything that can be used defensively can be used Offensively.

About the only things which are NOT possible "prohibited offensive" weapons are
    legally possesed firearms and pepperspray, because state law excepts them.

IMHO a cane or a ball bat is least likely to cause trouble.

(Franklin County)

side note, i have always heard that the expanding batons are illegal to own in PA. Is this true??

(Armstrong County)

Please Note: The poster was issued a warning for this post.

Quote Originally Posted by leplat View Post
    side note, i have always heard that the expanding batons are illegal to own in PA. Is this true??
    Not illegal to own, illegal to carry. Batans are offensive weapons and can not be carried unless you are exempted under the statue.

(Butler County)

^^^
    Yep, what he said

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast