Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default American Classic brand 1911s - Anybody familiar with these?

Hello everyone.

I have been looking around at the 1911 manufacturers and found an import called American Classic.

Chuck Hawks gave it a pretty good review.

Does anybody on the board own or have any first hand experience with these?

I am considering this brand verses the expensive ones.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Default Re: American Classic brand 1911s - Anybody familiar with these?

Its another phillipine import 1911. There are 2 or 3 different companies making them in the phillipines, and a dozen importers bringing them into the US with their own brand names. The big difference between them is the customer service and warranty. One importer may have a telephone hotline that will never be answered, and a customer service email blackhole, while another imported brand like XXX has active reps on the 1911 forums, and will repair faulty handguns.

I believe the companies distributing the American Classic brand, replaced another phillipine brand that had only been around for a few years, and that was a replacement for another line that had only been around for a little while. But i would assume, other than the rollmark, they are all the same exact gun.

(Monroe County)

I have no first hand knowledge with them but everything I have heard has been positive. American Classic and Rock Island Armory are pretty much the best entry level 1911's around from my research. I would look at the Tactical RIA or American Classic II for the better sights.

(Philadelphia County)

I don't own one, but have read nothing but good reviews online. Great buy for the money.
    AR accessories - Barbie for men

(York County)

I do own a Metro Arms, American Classic II. However I have not had to actually
    contacted the company for any reason. Thank god I have not had any issues with mine. No feed issues, no eject issues, no jams except the time I accidentally pushed up on the slide lock. Other than trying to to get the right holster for me. I absolutely am very impressed with it and have made it my every day carry. Good luck with your decision.
    The day we lose our will to fight is the day we lose our freedom.

(Lycoming County)

Not familiar with American Classic, but do have a RIA and it goes bang every time.

Really just want to pop in to say welcome neighbor.
    "Unus ut caput capitis"

(Lycoming County)

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and what you have heard about the American Classic. I did hear that the AC is from the same importer (Metro Arms) as the RIA. But I have not found anybody that has a RIA or a AC to view them first hand. Our local gun shop can get them in as a special order. We own both semis and revolvers but this is my first look into a 1911 style. Besides those two does anybody have another maker for me to consider that I am not thinking of?

I felt this may be a good alternative to the higher priced 1911s such as Kimber and Para Ordinance.

Jaybeez - You knowledge is good. Am I forgetting any others that are quality at a good price?

Joelad - Have you handled (or own) anything in the 1911 field you liked?

ByAnyMeans and Wizardtho - I will go back to the website and check out the sights again. I was originally looking at the Trophy model but that was because of the SS finish. But I will look deeper at the AC II - Thanks.

Clarion44 - Great to hear from somebody local to the forum. We do the bulk of our shooting out at Consolidated on Rt87. Our supplier is on the Creek Road. I am only maybe two days into my time here with the forum. I am a "junior" to the fullest extent of the term!

Thanks to everyone for your help!!

(Snyder County)

The American Classic is one of the best built 1911 clones out there. Reason being is that they are using equipment that one else is using. The fit and finish is superb and is equal to your $800 dollar American made models. Metco Arms also does not mass produce. For what I have found out they only ship a handful of guns out each month and being a dealer, finding them is like finding a needle in a hay stack. At the current time every single one of my distributors are out of them.

(Lackawanna County)

I have the American Classic II, and I like it. I have experience shooting other 1911s, like Colts, Kimbers, Springfields, and Taurus. I had my brother change the trigger to a short trigger; he said there some problems fitting it, and when he took it apart, he noticed that not all of the parts were mil spec, so to change some parts, they'd need to be fitted. He has it working fine, though.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Packin Preacher View Post
    Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and what you have heard about the American Classic. I did hear that the AC is from the same importer (Metro Arms) as the RIA. But I have not found anybody that has a RIA or a AC to view them first hand.
    I have one each both RIA and American Classic, both are full size. Both are excellent guns for the price and function great. Just as good a shooter as more expensive 1911's that I had many problems with (coughkimberandotherscough)

Just to clear up a little mis-information: the RIA is imported by ARMSCOR. The AC is a completely different manufacturer in the Phillipines, and was originally imported by I think Bersa, but is now imported by someone else.

It is possible that both are now the same importer, not sure, but NOT at all the same manufacturing facility or companies.

The AC has a sister pistol also made by Metro Arms with the "Firestorm" name rollmark, same gun. This is NOT the same as the old "Firestorm" pistol formerly made by the Llama company, which was sometimes prone to problems and parts interchange issues. Metro Arms just uses the "Firestorm" name now.
    Here is a pic of the RIA and AC on a bench at my club. Both are 'dirty girls' after a day of shooting them. These are the 1911's I carry most often, would never get rid of either one of them. I swap grips with the others sometimes, to keep the wife guessing how many are actually coming and going. Lately my little collection is at a fiscal standstill.

[IMG][/IMG]

Top is the RIA= black parkerized finish, with genuine GI surplus grips. Original grips very nice, but no checkering

Below it is the AC= nice blued finish with Brownells mahogany grips. Original grips were too thick, more than standard thickness, and were an ugly orange.

A little hard to see the differences in this cellphone pic. RIA is pretty much a GI type. AC has better sights, trigger, extended beavertail and safety and slide stop levers. AC also has a rounded hammer, with the letters "MA' inside the loop, which some guys think is tacky looking, until they realize it is letters and not just a random design.
    AC also has the front cocking serrations, something that some guys don't like but not really an issue for me.

[IMG][/IMG]

Best thing to do is NOT to go all out and spend a couple thousand $$ on a custom Les Baer or Ed Brown type at first, until you are sure a 1911 platform is exactly what you want. Do a little more research and shopping first. Obviously if money is no object, then do as you please. Good Luck with whatever you decide.
    LUKE 11:21 == Proverbs 29:2 = Proverbs 25:28

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast