Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: sbr

Default sbr

i happened upon a stock online for a sig 226 that makes it a small carbine, on the same page was an nfa warning.

my question is, does something that is already a pistol and sold as such ( atf records) need sbr taxing? i am sure i dont know much about nfa items but i was under the impression that one only had to do that when making long arms shorter
    ( barrles/pistol grips) or configuring as pistols

thanks in advance
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

Default Re: sbr

Yes, you would need to pay the $200.

Adding a shoulder stock makes it a rifle in the BATFE's eyes.

The only exceptions are C&R pistols that were originally produced with a detachable stock (some Lugers, & Browning Hi-Powers, and a few others).
    NEVER TRUST A PRIVATE WITH A LOADED WEAPON OR AN OFFICER WITH A MAP

(Armstrong County)

If you are wanting/thinking of adding this stock to your 226, then yes it will become an SBR.

It works both ways:
    When you make a +16"barrel rifle into a shorter barrel = SBR
    When you make a pistol into a carbine by adding a stock and keeping the barrel less than 16" = SBR

Gunguy beat me

(Jefferson County)

By attaching the stock, it is no longer a handgun. The stock makes it definitively a "SBR" if the barrel is less than 16", and/or the overall length is less than 26". If the barrel is greater than 16" and overall length greater than 26" - it becomes a "rifle".

Note too; once the shoulder stock is attacked - its never a handgun ever again even if you remove the stock. It will always be legally a rifle or SBR. Whether possession is legal after a stock has been attach, and even if removed after, will depend on if you keep it's OAL at greater than 16" barrel and 26" AOL, or if you have it registered as an SBR.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    By attaching the stock, it is no longer a handgun. The stock makes it definitively a "SBR" if the barrel is less than 16", and/or the overall length is less than 26". If the barrel is greater than 16" and overall length greater than 26" - it becomes a "rifle".

Note too; once the shoulder stock is attacked - its never a handgun ever again even if you remove the stock. It will always be legally a rifle or SBR. Whether possession is legal after a stock has been attach, and even if removed after, will depend on if you keep it's OAL at greater than 16" barrel and 26" AOL, or if you have it registered as an SBR.
    im doubtfull i will sbr my 226 but, since were on the subject and if im reading you correctly what you are saying is that if i purchased this stock ( to sbr my 226) and then sold it my pistol is not legal as a pistol?
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by ruggerio View Post
    im doubtfull i will sbr my 226 but, since were on the subject and if im reading you correctly what you are saying is that if i purchased this stock ( to sbr my 226) and then sold it my pistol is not legal as a pistol?
    If you attach the stock it is no longer legally a pistol - ever again. It would be a SBR if the dimensions are less than 16" for the barrel, or less than 26" for OAL. You would be forced in to selling/keeping it as a SBR and keeping it registered as such, or putting a 16"+ barrel on it and a shoulder stock to keep it's OAL over 26" if you don't want a Title II firearm(NFA).

So, keep that in mind if you were to attach a stock to it. Once a rifle(has a shoulder stock), its always a rifle legally for eternity regardless even if you take the stock off.

Just merely purchasing and possessing the stock, even if you don't attach it - you are in constructive possession of a SBR.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!